Don't cuss the cold or rain.

Help Support CattleToday:

We were super dry here until this last week, no rain since the frost came out of the ground, probably had a couple inches (a lot for us).. poured this morning.. I'm very happy about it.

Sure wish we could give you some. We have had around 14" in the last week. Right now we have close to 600 acres of corn underwater. Perfect year for the river bottoms to be corn.

T & B farms said:
Sure wish we could give you some. We have had around 14" in the last week. Right now we have close to 600 acres of corn underwater. Perfect year for the river bottoms to be corn.

Your 14" is a few more inches than we've got so far in 2019. Scary thing is were just coming up on our dry season.

That's how we were last year. Extremely dry and hot all spring/ summer. Now, it hasn't stopped raining since September. Nothing like mudding out our crappy crops that the drought burned up.
I hope things start to straiten out. I don't drink, but another year like the last and I may start.

That's two things I don't do. Ever. I will take cold and wet over what we're having. I'm feeding hay and range cubes. If it weren't for the branches I have it would be even worse. I got a piece of a cutting of hay baled about a month ago. I've got about 160 rolls on hand. That might get me through the summer at the rate we're going. I will do whatever I have to do within reason, but another month of this and a lot of folks will send em to town. We are literally burning up with no rain even mentioned in the long term forecast. This too shall pass.

When you live in a 10 inch annual rainfall area like I do you never cuss the rain. We have had nearly 2.5 inches in the last 10 days. I wondered a couple of times why I am irrigating but I never turned the water off. The range land pastures really shot up. Timely rain is more important than total rain.

Dave said:
When you live in a 10 inch annual rainfall area like I do you never cuss the rain. We have had nearly 2.5 inches in the last 10 days. I wondered a couple of times why I am irrigating but I never turned the water off. The range land pastures really shot up. Timely rain is more important than total rain.

Dave, do y'all have high temps for months on end? Not being a smartazz. Just trying to understand. I mean I know other places get hot and dry. But another month of what we are having and 50 acres to the cow wouldn't be enough. It's literally dying here. And not yet, but after enough time it's just dirt. I've seen a little bit of Texas in hard times but I'm unfamiliar with your part of the world.

JMJ Farms said:
Dave said:

Dave, do y'all have high temps for months on end? Not being a smartazz. Just trying to understand. I mean I know other places get hot and dry. But another month of what we are having and 50 acres to the cow wouldn't be enough. It's literally dying here. And not yet, but after enough time it's just dirt. I've seen a little bit of Texas in hard times but I'm unfamiliar with your part of the world.

We certainly don't get as hot or humid as you do in your area. But we do get dry and stay dry. Not unusual to have no rain at all from June until October. Like I said we average about 10 inch a year. And most of that comes in the winter in the form of snow. That 2.5 inches we had in the last 10 days is really a blessing. Down in the valley we have irrigation and grow a ton of grass. But the up hill side of the irrigation ditch and things get pretty bare. The BLM permit on my west side is about 50 acres per cow with a turn out from April 15 to July 15 and them again September 15 to October 31.

Dave said:
JMJ Farms said:
Dave said:

We certainly don't get as hot or humid as you do in your area. But we do get dry and stay dry. Not unusual to have no rain at all from June until October. Like I said we average about 10 inch a year. And most of that comes in the winter in the form of snow. That 2.5 inches we had in the last 10 days is really a blessing. Down in the valley we have irrigation and grow a ton of grass. But the up hill side of the irrigation ditch and things get pretty bare. The BLM permit on my west side is about 50 acres per cow with a turn out from April 15 to July 15 and them again September 15 to October 31.

I guess like you say that the irrigation of the valley helps tremendously. It's getting to the point where, if you're gonna survive here, you need irrigation. Regardless of the crop. The last several years we have skipped spring and went straight to summer. Two weeks of spring and that's all we seem to get. And fall is usually so dry that we can't get winter grazing planted in time for it to get a foot hold before winter. I don't like to complain. I prefer to be optimistic. But I think I'm gonna get to the point where I can irrigate or I'm gonna quit. I can't feed them 12 months out of the year. It won't be this year. I'm gonna fight through this one. But I'm not sure how many more fights I'm willing to fight. I guess time will tell.

Dave said:
JMJ Farms said:
Dave said:

Our climates are really similar.. My old lick tub buckets had about 2" of water in them from the rain we've had over the last 10 days
I think it was 2015 we were in the high 90's from mid May right through to September without any rain to speak of... The town gets a lot more rain than we do (they're in a rain corridor) and i think their average yearly rainfall is 16", and yeah, most of that is between November and March

Nesikep said:
I think it was 2015 we were in the high 90's from mid May right through to September without any rain to speak of...

What do the cows eat? I mean in 4 1/2 months with no rain there can't be anything there right? Hay?

JMJ Farms said:
Nesikep said:
I think it was 2015 we were in the high 90's from mid May right through to September without any rain to speak of...

What do the cows eat? I mean in 4 1/2 months with no rain there can't be anything there right? Hay?

In the last few days anywhere where the soil is thin the grass is hurt bad. I'm trying to figure out a plan and can't come up with one that I like.

True Grit Farms said:
JMJ Farms said:
Nesikep said:

In the last few days anywhere where the soil is thin the grass is hurt bad. I'm trying to figure out a plan and can't come up with one that I like.

Me either. I'm gonna spend some time tomorrow do some serious number crunching. Something has got to give. One thing I have a decent amount of is surface water. May have to buy a traveler.

We are small enough that I''m going to lock up the cows and water the dang pasture with a hose and sprinkler. Only 5 acres. I'll have to drag it around, but the dang grass is going to go dormant if we don't get some moisture.

Latest posts