Doing sudan hay (pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king":clgwyd0b said:
It was actually sudan on sudan, thinking i'm going to plant either rye and bale it this spring, or wheat when we get the beans in the back part cut. planted June 14

Since sudan is a couple points higher in TDN, and gives you a hay option, compared to sorghum sudan - - then why would a cattle owner ever plant sorghum sudan rather than straight sudan?

Sorry I always type just sudan, but this is the 877F hybrid, which is sorghum-sudangrass. The nutrient content is lower then straight sudangrass, but this hybrid (out of all the one's I've tried) really has a lot of characteristics of sudangrass, slower growing, late maturing, and higher nutrient content then some of the others, without losing tons. Your right though most of the sorghum-sudan hybrids are pretty much junk compared to straight sudan grass.
Had some NK hybrid last year, and it got about 2 foot tall, and started heading out, even in a drought, more like forage sorghum.

May try good old Sudex, or Piper next year.

How long does it take to dry down when cut with your disk mower? I always heard its better to crimp Sudan since its real watery. I've never planted any, how many lbs/acre and how much fert does it need? Just wondering

Drying can be from one week too two, this took 10 days. Planted at 50 pounds, with 100 pounds post ash, and 150 pounds DAP.

Latest posts