dogs in the cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Flacowman

Reaction score
My neighbor has a pair of labs that had puppies that are now almost a year old. They kept 4 which used to roam my pastures. After the first few times of runnin em out, I called and told them that if I caught their dogs in the pastures again, they'd catch some birdshot. They said ok and for a while it was no problem. The I walked out this morning and the four "Puppies" had killed a newborn and were bothering the mama. The deer rifle came out and the dogs are in an old well in the woods. I called the neighbors and informed them that they owed me $500 for a purebred angus calf and $5 for bullets. They didn't take it kindly and a deputy dropped by for a visit. He told me that they wanted to go to court and get $1000 for the dogs and damages so I called and said that I looked the Calf's pedigree up and they now owed me $1500. I called the judge whom I graduated with and asked him what he thought would happen and he said that they have no case, especially because I warned them. The calf was out of a Rita cow and Great Plains Traveller, very good pedigree indeed. :mad: We'll see what happens monday, our court day.

They don't have a leg to stand on. They are responsible for keeping their dogs home. It is not illegal to shoot animals harrassing your livestock, certainly not illegal to shoot ones killing your livestock. They will end up owing you.....
Sorry about your calf....

Those people are probably just practicing the old the best defense is a good offense tactic...hoping you'd back down if they threatened you with charges.

They'd be smart to go ahead and pay you w/o it going to court, but I wouldn't hesitate taking them to court if it came right down to it.

Alice

He had to tell. Is too much a coincidence that he calls and tells them they owe him money for calf on the same day dogs disappear. Usually SSS, but not this time I think.

Are you friends with this neighbor ? If not, who cares if they get mad. Atleast now they'll have some respect for your place. Take 'em to court and get your money.

They don't want a jury and I know the judge and the law IS on my side. It wasn't so much the money as the dogs that got them upset; and yes, I did get all four, the first at about 50 yards and the last at about 200. I intend to get the money for the calf as it cost me that much to breed/feed the cow and preg check her. The court date is tomorrow because the judge had a cancellation or whatnot so I'll try to post the outcome tomorrow night.

Too much information is missing for anyone to jump in on this one.

Newborn.How old, was this the first time you saw the calf.If not had you made sure it had it's colostrum was cleaned off iodined and looked after?You are vague as to where you are from so what are the weather conditions that you are calving in?

Also you called the judge now he either needs to recuse himself from the case or there is no case no prior contact about pending procedures.
I called the judge whom I graduated with and asked him what he thought would happen and he said that they have no case, especially because I warned them

How do you know the dogs killed the calf? The calf could have been dead already. You are going to have to prove that; did you have a PM and the insurance adjuster out with you asap. As I am POSITIVE you would have your livestock insured against predators.
The calf was out of a Rita cow and Great Plains Traveller, very good pedigree indeed

Right now the onus is on you as much as it is on them.

angie2":l7vsgui6 said:
He had to tell. Is too much a coincidence that he calls and tells them they owe him money for calf on the same day dogs disappear. Usually SSS, but not this time I think.

I meant not said anything - including trying to collect. See Syd Sydney's post - I would have some similar concerns. Getting rid of the dogs was what was needed. Sure losing the calf is bad and if he can collect great, but it will require some evidence to prove his case. An autopsy, other witnesses, or other documentation.

Good luck on your hearing.

The trouble with small claims court is even if you do win you can't force them to pay. You may have to file a lien on their property to ever collect, but I wish you the best of luck anyway.

Hippie Rancher":1l8559ph said:
I meant not said anything - including trying to collect. See Syd Sydney's post - I would have some similar concerns. Getting rid of the dogs was what was needed. Sure losing the calf is bad and if he can collect great, but it will require some evidence to prove his case. An autopsy, other witnesses, or other documentation.
I see now what you were saying. Was thinking like a cattle farmer, not an attorney :(
I hope it goes well......

Syd Sydney":1gzcchmh said:
Too much information is missing for anyone to jump in on this one.

Newborn.How old, was this the first time you saw the calf.If not had you made sure it had it's colostrum was cleaned off iodined and looked after?You are vague as to where you are from so what are the weather conditions that you are calving in?

Also you called the judge now he either needs to recuse himself from the case or there is no case no prior contact about pending procedures.
I called the judge whom I graduated with and asked him what he thought would happen and he said that they have no case, especially because I warned them

How do you know the dogs killed the calf? The calf could have been dead already. You are going to have to prove that; did you have a PM and the insurance adjuster out with you asap. As I am POSITIVE you would have your livestock insured against predators.
The calf was out of a Rita cow and Great Plains Traveller, very good pedigree indeed

Right now the onus is on you as much as it is on them.

Syd,

What you say makes a lot of sense, as a matter of fact.

Alice

I would think the chasing would be enough. Couple of months back I caught the neighbors dog chasing two of our animals. We don't get along at all with her, so no point in talking to her. I called the local authorities and explained the situation. The officers exact words were, " Well, my advice to you is if it happens again, shoot the dog. You can call your neighbor and warn her now if you like, but you don't have to." He even gave me his name and cell phone number and told me to write it down. If it came to that and they called the law, I could refer the responding officer to him.

I hear where you are coming from. I have never had any kill calves but they sure do like to harass and tear up their legs. Had one just a couple weeks ago chase one of the show steer through the fence and cut up his back legs pretty good. Around here we go by the SSS rule. Shoot Shovel and Shut up. We are now fixing to get a dog killing donkey and we'll see if that works. :D

Nowland Farms":3anhz0hd said:
Flacowman":3anhz0hd said:
......We'll see what happens monday, our court day.

Anybody heard from Flacowman? Since he has not been on here and reported in, things may not have gone well for him.....
I'm wondering too Rod. I hope them dogs dint belong to Ellen Degenerate or Rosie...Flacowman might end up doin' time at Ft. Lesbeenworth.

Latest posts