Dog Names

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh, such good stuff!

Arnold - sounds like my husband and that guide know each other. Hubby wants to name it Jerk - so he can yell stuff like come on Jerk or get goin' Jerk. He wanted to name Ike that too. I did have to put the cabosh on that one.

icandoit and joe - like that name and that song. My brother named his first son Jake after that song. Lives in the same area as us so I decided against naming our dog that.

Bama - that's just funny!! :lol:

A6gal - had thought about a western name like that. Rest of the family didn't seem too keen though. Oh well, guess the dog is partly theirs too.

Beefy - keech sounds interesting. Haven't heard that one before. Where did that come from?

Everyone else - thanks for all the input. It was real interesting hearing other names and how they came about.

Well, it looks like we are going with Jed. A little name for a little pup but manly enough for him to grow into. Hubby almost got his wish for Jerk the other night though. Little guy chewed up a rug, started on a boot, dug holes in my strawberry patch, drug a BUNCH of stuff into my flowers, barks at the cats, and howls if nobody waits for him to catch up. Then he looks at you like saying "who, me?" if you scold him. Makes you laugh.

Even though we have picked a name, don't let it stop anyone from adding theirs. I like hearing the stories. Thanks for the input.

Farmhand,

Would love to see a picture of Jed if you are able to post one. Keeps us updated on how he's coming along. Heelers are the cutest pups.

But, whatever you do, don't teach him to fetch a ball! My blue heeler, Tar, will run after a ball as long as you will throw it and bring it right back and drop it at your feet for you to throw it again! That was cute when he was little but now it's a little annoying! I'll tell him to take a break and he'll run get a drink of water and be right back ready for you to throw it again.

A6gal":19lx3hpl said:
Farmhand,

Would love to see a picture of Jed if you are able to post one. Keeps us updated on how he's coming along. Heelers are the cutest pups.

But, whatever you do, don't teach him to fetch a ball! My blue heeler, Tar, will run after a ball as long as you will throw it and bring it right back and drop it at your feet for you to throw it again! That was cute when he was little but now it's a little annoying! I'll tell him to take a break and he'll run get a drink of water and be right back ready for you to throw it again.

Sounds like a Lab. I think they must have evolved with the tennis ball!

dun

Farmhand":2wlxm0wr said:
We got a new puppy last Saturday. If ya'll remember, we lost Ike a little bit ago. Found another red heeler. Hope he turns out to be as good as Ike. Now we're stumbling around to think what to call the little guy. Would like to know what you would name a male red heeler dog that you hope will be good working cattle.
I had two GREAT dogs years ago - -Hondo and Macho. Both good names. Had them at different times so they didn't work together and miss which dog I was talking to. Sometimes I called Hondo - "Do" (like "go") and Macho "Mach" (rhymes with "Notch". I got so attached to those dogs it was like a family member died when they didl I was a basket case for awhile!

Well, I took Jed to the vet to start his shots. Vet was surprised by the amount of white in his coat. Said that was unusual for so much white. Also thinks there must be some blue in Jed's background 'cuz he has a black spot on the base of his tail. Kind of looks like he backed into something. Said we made a good choice in picking such an agressive pup. That's what you want to look for to get a good working dog. Hope she's right. Had always heard the blacker the roof of the mouth, the better the dog. Was worried because Jed's isn't very dark. Asked vet. She hadn't ever heard that one. She has red heelers also and hers doesn't have any black. Said hers was a real good dog. Hope she's right on this one too. Anyone else hear this one? Other ways you pick a dog?

I'm not able to post pictures. Probably good though. I'd probably bore all of you with them. He is a mighty cute pup.

A6gal":1dgnk5ja said:
Great choice! Heelers are the most wonderful companions. Loyal and so smart. I have a 7 year old blue heeler named Tar. As long as I'm outside he is right by my side and always ready for a signal to heel/herd a cow. He was a little light, gray fluff ball with one dark black spot on his hip when he was a pup. He is darker in color now but the black spot is still very prominent and looks like he sat in Tar.

Before he ended up with the name Tar, I was going to call him Pickett after Bill Pickett (the guy who invented bulldogging).

My son's red hound is named Rusty. I guess that's not real original though and I have a minature dapple daschund named Lacey because of the dappled pattern.

Maybe you could use a roping term like, Dally, Lariat or Cinch.

Let us know what you name him.

or Hondu!!

milesvb":2a9uawc2 said:
I have a ridgeback hound named "Liebchen". She has a long way to go to live up to it. If only I had known I would have named her "Taz" for Tasmanian devil. :roll:

What does Liebchen mean?

I like names like Bo, Thorn, Rocco, Chico, Atila, and Diesel. My dogs now are named Dakota and Jesse

Our Springer is named Patches...but I call him mudball, loves to dig golphers but never has caught one yet.
Cow dog....if he works out with the cattle...your dog, Honey, if he doesn't....Dave Mc

Latest posts