Dog Names

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmhand

Reaction score
We got a new puppy last Saturday. If ya'll remember, we lost Ike a little bit ago. Found another red heeler. Hope he turns out to be as good as Ike. Now we're stumbling around to think what to call the little guy. Would like to know what you would name a male red heeler dog that you hope will be good working cattle.

Friend of mine has an austrailian shepherd - Oz.
Our great pyrenees - Rex

Best of luck with your pup!

I usually name my dogs by distinguishing features, if they have any as pups. I had a redbone mixed hound when I was young that was all red except a noticeable black streak down her back. Later in life the black faded. Boy did I take some crap over naming her Blackie. Everybody thought I was colorblind or I rode the short bus to school. :roll:

The past few, I have been using cartoon/kid show character names. I have a male redbone now named Spanky, from the Little Rascals. I also have a female redbone named Wilma (The Flintstones). I had Wilma's littermate, Betty, but she ran off with Spanky one day when she was small and never came back.

Sorry for the long post. Just make the name something meaningful.

Our female great pyrenees- I let my husband name. It was a close race between Martina and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Needless to say, Martina was entirely too long of a name, so we went with Zeta.

Congrats on the new family member. Ivan, after Ike? I have "Flash", my greyhound, and "Cat", the blue heeler. The farm cats usually just pick up a name somewhere along the was, with Fuzz Butt being our latest addition. A few years ago we got a horse, and everyone was suggesting names... we had Silver, Trigger, Gunner, Wilber, Elmer, so I finally decided on Er. Short for all of the above.

Great choice! Heelers are the most wonderful companions. Loyal and so smart. I have a 7 year old blue heeler named Tar. As long as I'm outside he is right by my side and always ready for a signal to heel/herd a cow. He was a little light, gray fluff ball with one dark black spot on his hip when he was a pup. He is darker in color now but the black spot is still very prominent and looks like he sat in Tar.

Before he ended up with the name Tar, I was going to call him Pickett after Bill Pickett (the guy who invented bulldogging).

My son's red hound is named Rusty. I guess that's not real original though and I have a minature dapple daschund named Lacey because of the dappled pattern.

Maybe you could use a roping term like, Dally, Lariat or Cinch.

Let us know what you name him.

If you just have one dog, a good name would be "Dog".
It is easy to remember and easy to say.
It worked ok for John Wayne's dog in that movie where he rescued his grandson from the kidnappers.

Had one friend who named his dog HeyYou. Had another friend with the last name of Hale. He named his dog Raisin.

I used to have Patches (one eye was rimmed in black on an otherwise all white dog-started out as Patch and got lengthened), then Missy came (somehow it just fit her), then Patches and Missy had five puppies (what was I thinking?). I named one of them Peaches (due to her coloring), one of them Rascal (that dog could raise some hell!), Huckleberry Finn (got that name the day I caught him taking off down the hall with the toilet brush), Cia Marie (should have named her Trouble), and SugarBear (incredibly sweet and furry!). Still have Huckleberry Finn, Cia Marie and SugarBear, and decided I wasn't cut out to be a dog breeder. lol The dog in my avatar is an American Eskimo, which is what Patches was. Huck, SugarBear, and Rascal look like him.

Years ago I had a Cajun friend that named his dog Phideaux (Fido). Another that had a huge very ugly mutt that he named Kitty Cat!

dun

icandoit
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:41 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jake
You got the Mrs. singin' "If I die before I wake, feed Jake"

I knew a goose hunting guide that had a Lab named "Dammit". Occasionally, when geese were working, he'd have to yell out "Dammit, get down" and I'm told that from time to time a client would get pretty miffed at the guide, thinking he was shouting at them and not the dog.

Latest posts