dog attack

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusLimoX":3st1z9xc said:
It's a shame the dog has to pay for the ignorant disrespect for other peoples property rights that their owners display.

I couldn;t possibly agree more!

dun

everyone brings up very good points. It is so sad that the
dogs have to pay for their owners stupidity. But, I can not have my calves slaughtered. Now I have a cow without a calf-
lost money! :x Also, if it was known what I did- the neighbors
would likely burn down my house, let the cows out, ect.
I live in a very rural " deliverance" type area. :shock: Nope,
in this case silence is golden. I will most likely have to do it
again. :oops:

We have so many people moving into North Florida from the southern part of the state who want to "live in the country." They buy five acres and stock it with numerous pets.

Alot of these pets wander off and then these cute little pets start chasing livestock.

When I purchased property 12 years ago I had two neighbors to the west almost 1/4 mile down the road and one neighbor to the east 1/2 mile away.

The farm east of me sold within the last two years, land prices went through the roof and all of the sudden I now have four new neighbors and a bunch of new dogs around me.

In my county there is an ordinance that allows the property owner to shoot any anmal, including domesticated dogs, that threaten your livestock.

I do not like shooting dogs but I will if they are runninng wild.

New arrivals in this area say they want to live in the country but what they really want is to move here and make it just like Miami or Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale.

It will not be too much longer before agriculture becomes endangered in Florida.

Losing a calf is a hard loss. Back in 99' we lost 33 calves to a pack of "pets". They were an assortment of breeds from big rottweilers to little inbred trash dogs. The dogs would start running the area and dogs from various places would join and run with them. I counted 15+ of them on my calves one morning. I visited each owner of the dogs, and every time I was told I was lying and that their dogs wouldn't leave their yard and would never kill anything. One owner told me that their dog was a herding dog and was supposed to chase stock, including my stock. The area around me has grown up along the road frontage with good intentioned city folk that moved out here to be close to the farms and ranches in the area, but they complain about the tractors, diesel farm trucks, and the cattle are "TOO LOUD" bawling in the mornings. Anyway I contacted the sheriff and was told they would log the situation down and that I could "handle the dogs " myself. I set-up a video camera in a treestand, along with me and my .257. I "handled" over 20 dogs in a week. When the neighbors found most of their dogs missing they called out the sheriff to my place. I politely showed him the video of each dog being handled only after it had physically biten a calf. I did not touch the ones just barking or chasing. The sheriff took the tape as "evidence" and showed it to all the owners. Only one of them addressed the situation. She came over and apologized. However, my fence got cut mysterically, and had horse shot with birdshot because his head was "over the fenceline". Since 99' I have "handled" more dogs. But have not lost anymore calves, (did lose 11 ewes in one night, problem "handled").To put the intesity of these dogs into perspective, the calves they killed were not young small calves but weaned longhorns 350+ lbs and 4 longhorn roping steers that were 550+ lbs. I know this was a long post but be aware that the problem isn't dogs chasing or killing stock but with the "good intentioned" neighbors.

People are always posting on here about wolves, panthers, sabre tooth tigers and coyotes killing there cattle. Ninety Nine times out of a hundred it's dog's. Nothing absolutely nothing is more destructive than a dog.
Texas has laws to protect the rancher from liabilities from shooting stray dogs.
This is where keeping your mouth shut comes in, your neighbors are just like Santa Claus knowing when your home or not. One box of 22 shorts and a box of kitchen matches can cause a lot of grief over bragging about taking out a dog.

Had a long yearling bull running in a pasture way in the back and he was attacked by a dog pack, Had his right rear leg eaten away, Scrotum torn with testicles dragging and was still alive. Dogs were sitting in a circle around him when I found him. Have been at war with stray dogs ever since. Where I live if your dog comes on my land whether he is doing anything wrong or not, he can be shot. I no longer shoot every dog I see, but for a long time that was my policy. A Marlin 30-30 has always fit me pretty well and shoots where I look for some reason.
The township trustee pays for damages if caused by dogs. So I don't need to track you down and collect from you if your dogs attack my animals. I will shoot your dogs, bury them or throw them in the river without their collars or ID. I used to keep a brush pile handy to burn carcasses.
I would guess that I lost 50-60 head of sheep and that 1 bull to dog attacks and I have no pity whatsoever on stray dogs, no one ever thinks that little muffy could do such a thing, but I have seen Schnauzer type dogs running with pit bulls and chasing livetock. So when you come by to inquire if I have seen muffy, I may look concerned and say I will keep my eyes open, but I will keep my mouth shut and it will forever be an unsolved mystery for the anguished dog owner. :)

Had 2 groomed toy poodles get in the hen house...shoot 'em,bury them deep,and SHUT UP!!

MrGale":3ah0g733 said:
I use a Benjamin Tyler Henry 44mag lever action with blue glazer rounds in it....if they hit the ground they just explode....and if they hit the intended target they just poke into a body cavity and sort of act like a hand grenade....don't have to worry about what is in back of it too much. Just have to be sure to hit the target and not another cow or calf out there.
I've got a Henry Golden Boy .22. I love that gun. My next gun purchase will be the .44 Big Boy.

The ultimate Dog/Coyote weapon of my choice is a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch rifle, .223 calber.If I had a notch for everyone I've shot with it, on the stock, it'd be bout the size of a toothbick.

Ruger M77 .243 topped with Bausch and Lomb 1.5 - 6 - weighs 6.5 and has it's own spot in the tractor cab. :lol:

If I leave it in the house - guaranteed to see coyotes. :mad:

geez....two people with my favorite weapon :D s !!!! You will never regret getting the big-boy....go mag instead of colt....
and Dun, got my mini-223 back in my closet with tape flip magazines 30 rounds per ....one of the most accurate rifles i have ever shot....the first time i shot one i got a quail on a fencepost at 125 yards. those peep sights are just right fer my eyes....smile.... :D

C & C Land & Catt":1y7tl7v1 said:
Neighbors had two rotweillers who would not quite chasing. Called them, then the sheriff, and then marlin 30-30. I hung the both of them up on the end of my driveways gateposts and sit there when they came home from work. They called the law and long story short they paid for 2 calves and the court cost. I will try 2 get along but there is only so far u can be pushed. I don't like people who think that their dogs can go anywhere and do anything and be immune. My dogs stay home and if they wander and get shot I have 2 eat it, it is my fault . Do not be nice to ur neighbors and make dogs disappear b/c they will bring more just like them in. Tell them and then shoot the dogs and let them know. In the long run they might be mad but ur cows will not be chased.
I agree, and they need to pay for that calf screw the dogs, there are laws for protecting what you did, make them pay for that calf maybe next time they will make sure there dogs cant get out!

Where I am you don't have to worry about dogs. You have to worry about your dog going beyond your property. We have one mean old lady that lives down the road. She takes care of all the strays for all of us. :D

Walt

The goal is to eliminate the dog/dogs. It will only stir the pot to go to the dogs owner seeking payment your your livestock. As has been said the best policy is SSS no matter if you are within the law or not.

Many years ago I worked for a rancher on the north side of Socorro NM. His southern boundry fence was the city limits. We started having problem with the town dogs coming out and mutilating calves. In addition to everyone carrying a ranch issued 22 mag. everywhere we went in a truck or horseback he came up with some stryctnine (sp?) tablets from somewhere. We would put them inside a piece of meat and put them along the fenceline. They did a heck of a lot better job then we ever could have with guns. The problem went away.Z

Mr. Gale... You might want to rethink taping the magazines together. If you bump somethin with the exposed end of the bottom one and bend it just a little you'll end up buying a new one. There are some people that learned that the hard way.Z

The best thing to do is always keep your mouth shut.
You can bow up like a Bantam rooster there dog killed my calf I am gong to get paid, yours was most likely there also.
Secondly you can be put out of the cow business in one night with a bag of Amdro or a box of 22 shells and a baby bottle nipple.

Latest posts