A Good Dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Randi

Reaction score
Took this video of my dog the other day.

170 cows, 1 dog and 1 rider. He was working especially well that day.

As a side note, my husband was following on the road with the truck and stock trailer. He had his bike and dog with him. The cows were ready to come home.

https://youtu.be/pYwtQp1wh6s

FB_IMG_1514429395159.jpg

FB_IMG_1514429407563.jpg

FB_IMG_1514429421300.jpg

FB_IMG_1514429427982.jpg

Yes he was. And I could jus let him cause they were so spread out. Once we got going down the road I had to keep calling him off, otherwise he just harasses the few at the back, lol.

Can't beat having a good dog. I have owned a blue heeler for almost 50 years. We don't "work" our dog anymore. We just call the cattle, really don't "push" them anymore. And DEFINITELY don't move cattle like you.
Great video & pictures.

Randi":4sh92xy0 said:
Yes he was. And I could jus let him cause they were so spread out. Once we got going down the road I had to keep calling him off, otherwise he just harasses the few at the back, lol.

He is a lot like my Kelpie Jed, very keen to work but I have to watch him as he likes to single one out for himself.

Ken

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3e3xlknw said:
Can't beat having a good dog. I have owned a blue heeler for almost 50 years. We don't "work" our dog anymore. We just call the cattle, really don't "push" them anymore. And DEFINITELY don't move cattle like you.
Great video & pictures.

I agree. Really neat to see that dog work. Jeanne, I've been thinking about getting a heeler for work and play but I have very young kids and have been told they can get nippy with the young ins. What are your thoughts on the breed? Sorry not trying to hijack the thread!

IMO, heelers require a strong and assertive owner. They are very smart dogs, and have a very intense work ethic.

We have always had heelers, Kelpies and crosses. And several of them have come to me as 'City' dogs. They will get nippy with kids, usually trying to herd them. Many people also think they at cat and poultry killers. We have had all 3...kids, cats and chickens. I have a ZERO tolerance policy with the dogs. They DO NOT ever get away with chasing kids, cats, chickens or horses. And they don't chase cows unless asked or told to.

A shock collar is your friend. And a strong personality. You can't let them get away with anything that involves chasing or you are setting them up to be uncontrollable.

Our dogs live free in the yard. Well except one, cause he likes to go visit the ladies in town.

Randi described them well. They are the smartest breed you can own, but most people are not smart enough to own them. You MUST BE IN CONTROL. You have to be the Alpha dog - period. They will be the most loyal pet/worker you will ever have. Yes, they will try to heel you, your kids, chickens, cars, you name it. But, as Randi said, you have to nip it in the bud.
I have never had one heel/herd anything I did not want them to.
I tell everyone, kids and dogs are as good as the parents/owners.
I have used a shock collar for my Min Schnauzer to train not to get in road, but the heelers respond well to verbal commands and treats. I do believe in reward training. They love to be "a good dog".

The thing with the shock collar, is that it is great for distance control. I want my dogs to work away from me, but I want to be able to correct/stop them when they get too strong, or when they are done the job. They love to work, and sometimes voice is just not enough.

I totally understand using the collar, and have nothing against it - it is a GREAT tool. In my circumstance, I have not needed it. But, I am not working in a billion acres like your area LOOKS. LOL As said, these are smart dogs and determined, which is what makes them such great work dogs and family members.
If you have small children, you would NEVER have to worry about anyone HARMING them. Your kids are part of the dogs "pack" and they will be protected.
Our current heeler doesn't know a stranger. He is friendly with everyone, but if my nephew & I start wrestling at all, he jumps in between us and always grabs Phil"s arm. Doesn't bite, just takes hold of it. I love it. I'm actually the Alpha and he is more Diesel's playmate.

They are awesome dogs. Our old guy was the same way, if you got wrestling or arguing he would be ready to step in. I wouldn't have wanted to be someone that really wanted to hurt anyone in his pack!

Had a problem with a male heeler when my son was young. Dog knew I was the Alpha but saw himself as #2 in our family "pack" and tried to place himself above the boy. Dog would try to intimidate my son, knock him down, bristle at him.
I scolded the dog real hard, sent the dog in a horse stall, gave the boy a whip and told him to whip that dog until I get tired.
Problem solved, dog was satisfied as #3 and never tried the boy again. Was a good dog, rough on cattle when he needed to be but a car took him out. He was biting at the front tires in our driveway and got his head under the tire.

I agree, kelpies are cat killers. They also kill ground hogs but we cannot have cats with our kelpie. I tried the electric collar without success, cannot fight genetics. Shame because we need them for mice and rats.

dave_shelby":1s2nwyah said:
I agree, kelpies are cat killers. They also kill ground hogs but we cannot have cats with our kelpie. I tried the electric collar without success, cannot fight genetics. Shame because we need them for mice and rats.

And we've had several Kelpies and Kelpie x Heelers and while I agree, that they could definitely could be cat killers, mine know better. But, then, they've seen me come hinged on them when I have even caught them looking cross eyed at a cat. Let alone chase one. Same thing with my poultry.

Latest posts