Cattle dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Shanf

Reaction score
I have an 8 month old female red heeler. I also have a toy fox terrier. The fox terrier was never particularly happy when we brought the puppy home. She often growled, but they never fought. We got the heeler when she was 8 weeks old. Recently they got into it and both dogs were very aggressive. I separated them but the fox terrier got hurt, not real bad and seems fine now except now my heeler will not leave the terrier alone. Our toy fox terrier hides from her. Help. I really don't want to get rid of either dog,

Keep them separated or get rid of one, that Heeler will kill the terrier given the right circumstances. They're animals not people.

tncattle":32sua5pr said:
Keep them separated or get rid of one, that Heeler will kill the terrier given the right circumstances. They're animals not people.

Agreed! Love the Heeler breed, but they seem to either get along with other dogs and cats or they just don't. I'm suresomeo e will be more help than me on this subject, but in my experience with them, they aren't as social as other breeds. Good luck!

Do you live on much land? Do you need the heeler to work cattle? If you live in suburbia then a heeler is not the most suitable dog, they need to be active and work.

Ken

wbvs58":2850ku89 said:
Do you live on much land? Do you need the heeler to work cattle? If you live in suburbia then a heeler is not the most suitable dog, they need to be active and work.

Ken

Exactly! I look at my ACDs as tools. They have a job to do. They live outside (only one we ever kept inside was while he was in a coma). Don't get me wrong, I will cause harm to any fool who attempts to harm my dogs, but overall, I treat them more like livestock than pets. It is crazy to me the number of people who will fail to become educated and not realize that cute little blue puppy will shortly become a velociraptor and destroy their pretty condo!

Son of Butch":3v5uduj9 said:
5S Cattle":3v5uduj9 said:
Which one do you like more? Get rid of the other one
Depending on where you live, but Asian immigrants here have always been grateful for the gift of any dog.
(They probably view it as good luck. ;-)
More like lunch

You have a dog that was "king of the castle", brought home an "invader" then as it got older and bigger, it decided it wanted to be the top dog. Heelers are very hi energy and you are asking your established animal to basically become 2nd dog. Unless you are working cattle, let the heeler go to someone who can use and channel that instinct.

Latest posts