Anyone recommend a cow dog training book

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a dog or two. Always by myself and hard to find help I can afford to pay, or knows what they're doing. Figured this would make it easier. Can anyone recommend a book to read to get a grasp of the basics?

5S Cattle":1sp2ylp0 said:
Thinking about getting a dog or two. Always by myself and hard to find help I can afford to pay, or knows what they're doing. Figured this would make it easier. Can anyone recommend a book to read to get a grasp of the basics?
I'm like Frankenstein....Dogs and Brahman, ,,,baaaaad..Brahman don't run from a dog they run too em....

ALACOWMAN":34gk2xdh said:
5S Cattle":34gk2xdh said:
I'm like Frankenstein....Dogs and Brahman, ,,,baaaaad..Brahman don't run from a dog they run too em....
I've seen em worked with dogs before. I've also seen mine run dogs outta the pasture. :???: I'm not sure. I'm sure I could teach both of them with a little work

5S Cattle":1hirmedz said:
ALACOWMAN":1hirmedz said:
5S Cattle":1hirmedz said:
I've seen em worked with dogs before. I've also seen mine run dogs outta the pasture. :???: I'm not sure. I'm sure I could teach both of them with a little work
Some good stout dogs with a lot of grit..

Dad trained a few Border Collies and they were great dogs, and good cattle dogs. But you have to keep them busy. They want to herd cattle all the time. I never could learn to use the whistle they recommended though!

I was told to get the book "Anybody can do it" by Pope Robertson. If you'll pm me your name & address, I'll send you my copy. When I ran a lot of feeders a dog was really nice to have. Now, I'm mostly cow/calf and the dog doesn't help so much. Gotta break your cows to the dog too. When the cows are calving, a dog isn't very welcome. I think it should be that way. I want my cows to protect their newborn.

Chocolate Cow2":392q3861 said:
I was told to get the book "Anybody can do it" by Pope Robertson. If you'll pm me your name & address, I'll send you my copy. When I ran a lot of feeders a dog was really nice to have. Now, I'm mostly cow/calf and the dog doesn't help so much. Gotta break your cows to the dog too. When the cows are calving, a dog isn't very welcome. I think it should be that way. I want my cows to protect their newborn.
Thats One thing with a Brahman.you don't have to worry about, is her protecting her baby...fact you can sleep easy knowing it's being taken care of :lol:

I have Brahman and Hereford cattle, was thinking curs. Figured they'd be tough enough to take a hit. Only thing I'm worried about is them being a bit too big to get out of our pens if they got in a bind

Australian Cattle Dogs (Blue Heelers) are much calmer than Australian Shepherds and Border Collies.
The cattle dog knows how to work cattle, YOU need to know how to CONTROL your dog.
They need basic commands. You must be able to STOP them when they are running full bore after cattle. Hubby taught ours with a Frisbee. If you can stop one in mid run after a Frisbee, your all set to work cows.
And yes, you have to get your cattle used to the dog also.
We teach them hand commands, so they LOOK at you. Arm straight up, STOP/DOWN. Arm sweep to right, dog needs to go to the right. Keep it simple. We rarely "work" our cattle with a dog anymore, because we just call them for moving.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1knjz6f4 said:
Australian Cattle Dogs (Blue Heelers) are much calmer than Australian Shepherds and Border Collies.
The cattle dog knows how to work cattle, YOU need to know how to CONTROL your dog.
They need basic commands. You must be able to STOP them when they are running full bore after cattle. Hubby taught ours with a Frisbee. If you can stop one in mid run after a Frisbee, your all set to work cows.
We teach them hand commands, so they LOOK at you. Arm straight up, STOP/DOWN. Arm sweep to right, dog needs to go to the right. Keep it simple. We rarely "work" our cattle with a dog anymore, because we just call them for moving.
Thanks, but Blue heelers are out. I can't stand them things

Good luck. I've given up on dogs. I've had 2 good cattle dogs and countless worthless ones. Spent a pretty good amount $ on a hanging tree dog.. Dang dog is good at running around in circles and little else.. Won't take direction.. May growl at a cow if they get in the perimeter of his circle and that's about it..POS

5S Cattle":m2wcty84 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":m2wcty84 said:

Not trying to change your mind, just stating my limited experiences with stock dogs. Have tried several breeds and no luck with them at all as far as working dogs. We got a female heeler, will be 2 years old this December. Hard headed little thing, my wife could deal with her but I couldn't hardly at all, until a few months ago. She had been coming with me to the barn to feed for a while and was an aggravation for a while, but then all at once she started actually helping me. It wasn't long until she was listening to me and stopping when I told her and standing back until I was ready. She has proven to me that she has the ability to be a real good stock dog, I am the limiting factor as I don't know how to get the full potential from her. She has taken a lot of steps off of me, even with me not knowing how to work with stock dogs. This morning we got a cow and calf in the barn with no gates.

Ky hills":1ahmp2wx said:
5S Cattle":1ahmp2wx said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ahmp2wx said:

Not trying to change your mind, just stating my limited experiences with stock dogs. Have tried several breeds and no luck with them at all as far as working dogs. We got a female heeler, will be 2 years old this December. Hard headed little thing, my wife could deal with her but I couldn't hardly at all, until a few months ago. She had been coming with me to the barn to feed for a while and was an aggravation for a while, but then all at once she started actually helping me. It wasn't long until she was listening to me and stopping when I told her and standing back until I was ready. She has proven to me that she has the ability to be a real good stock dog, I am the limiting factor as I don't know how to get the full potential from her. She has taken a lot of steps off of me, even with me not knowing how to work with stock dogs. This morning we got a cow and calf in the barn with no gates.
Glad she's working out for you! I said that about heelers because out of the handful of dogs that I've been bit by, 3 have been heelers. Just don't trust them.

I've trained several BC's. My favorite training book was Herding Dogs by Virgil Holland. If I remember right, he is primarily focused on fetching dogs like BC's.

We live in sheep and cattle country and most ranchers have good dogs that will do both. It is easy to find someone to train your dog and work with you in this area. The hardest part is finding a good dog. There are also clinics available where you can practice working your dog on animals that have already been trained to work with dogs. It is a long term commitment to train the dog, yourself, and the cattle. We started by buying a pup out of working parents. If I was starting over, I would have begun with a young dog that had already been started on cattle so I knew what I was getting. Our dog has been a great help, but he is definitely not one of the best. I read books and watched videos while waiting for him to grow. Herding Dogs Progressive training by Vergil Holland and Lessons from a Stock Dog by Bruce Fogt were books I read. I had made the mistake of reprimanding my prior dogs for chasing cows when they were still pups, and they had grown up to ignore or avoid the cattle. It was recommended in the books that I avoid interaction with the cattle until they were old enough to handle themselves. We sent our dog to a trainer when he was 1 year old. He started Tip on Sheep because that was safer. When he had Tip understanding some basic commands, he had us come as often as we could to work with him. We had him there for 90 days and he was working cows by the time he came home. I have been told that once you have one dog trained, it is easier to start another because the young dog can learn from the older dog.

If I was you, I would go to a Cattledog trial and talk to people there. They might be able to recommend someone who could help you find a dog and someone to work with you. Our cattle will come in when we call them, but sometimes calves will hang back, or cows will refuse to come up into the corrals to be worked. The dog sure makes that easier. He doesn't mind the mud or the lumpy ground and he is quick enough to cut them off when they decide to make a break for it to run around us. Our cows challenged him quite a bit at first. We made a special point of working the replacements with him each year, so the younger cows work the best. Even the old cows have now accepted the fact that going where we want is easier than challenging the dog. When a cow tries to avoid the corrals, we call the dog and when she sees him she almost always begins to cooperate. Most of the time he just waits on the ATV. We do leave him home when cows are calving, because it can be more difficult to catch and tag the newborn calves when he is in sight.

Katpau":3rv6h77t said:
We live in sheep and cattle country and most ranchers have good dogs that will do both. It is easy to find someone to train your dog and work with you in this area. The hardest part is finding a good dog. There are also clinics available where you can practice working your dog on animals that have already been trained to work with dogs. It is a long term commitment to train the dog, yourself, and the cattle. We started by buying a pup out of working parents. If I was starting over, I would have begun with a young dog that had already been started on cattle so I knew what I was getting. Our dog has been a great help, but he is definitely not one of the best. I read books and watched videos while waiting for him to grow. Herding Dogs Progressive training by Vergil Holland and Lessons from a Stock Dog by Bruce Fogt were books I read. I had made the mistake of reprimanding my prior dogs for chasing cows when they were still pups, and they had grown up to ignore or avoid the cattle. It was recommended in the books that I avoid interaction with the cattle until they were old enough to handle themselves. We sent our dog to a trainer when he was 1 year old. He started Tip on Sheep because that was safer. When he had Tip understanding some basic commands, he had us come as often as we could to work with him. We had him there for 90 days and he was working cows by the time he came home. I have been told that once you have one dog trained, it is easier to start another because the young dog can learn from the older dog.

If I was you, I would go to a Cattledog trial and talk to people there. They might be able to recommend someone who could help you find a dog and someone to work with you. Our cattle will come in when we call them, but sometimes calves will hang back, or cows will refuse to come up into the corrals to be worked. The dog sure makes that easier. He doesn't mind the mud or the lumpy ground and he is quick enough to cut them off when they decide to make a break for it to run around us. Our cows challenged him quite a bit at first. We made a special point of working the replacements with him each year, so the younger cows work the best. Even the old cows have now accepted the fact that going where we want is easier than challenging the dog. When a cow tries to avoid the corrals, we call the dog and when she sees him she almost always begins to cooperate. Most of the time he just waits on the ATV. We do leave him home when cows are calving, because it can be more difficult to catch and tag the newborn calves when he is in sight.
Thank you for your insight! I received a envelope from Kansas today so it looks like chocolate cow sent me my first bit of learning information (thanks!) I'll look into trials around here. Haven't heard of any though.

Heelers are a "pack" dog - they will protect their pack, which includes cattle, family members, equipment. But, if you have encountered biters - it is the owners fault - not the dogs.
Some dogs/breeds are smarter than their owners. If you are not smarter or the alpha, you are going to have a BAD dog.

Latest posts