Does this sound doable for one person?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
3 ranches, one is approximately 2800 acres with 470 cows. need someone that can calve out and work cows, keep fences, barnes, corrales maintained and equipment clean and serviced. That's it in a nutshell. Seems like a massive place for basically one person to maintain. Help is provided when working cows or haying but mostly you work indepently on whatever needs doing

Just like any other job, get up and go to work. Its not like you are starting from zero. Only thing I would worry about is how far apart the places are.

What degree of management is expected? Rotational,60 day calving, year round...
With minimal management I guess it would be doable

Totally doable as long as help is provided when you work the cows, etc and even then if he's smart and does it in bits and pieces and the cows are natives and fairly gentle he can do most of it by himself with a few dogs. In fact, it isn't even uncommon for one good guy to do that.

I've got a neighbor that runs at least that many acres in pasture and hay ground. has about 500 cows - A.I.'s every last one of them, and takes care of quite a few clean up bulls. does all his own hay, brush hogs pastures, does all his own fencing. most everything he does - he does is on his own. sometimes he will get a neighbor kid to help him, but mostly I think he does it just to help a kid earn a few extra bucks. he works hard...every day of the week, but he earns a real good living. most of all he enjoys doing it.

red bull breeder is right, it can be done...but not by just anyone. well maybe everyone but me... :lol:

rob2

It also depends on the layout and working facilities. How a place is setup makes a huge difference. With help being there (if their more help than hinderence) during cattle working and haying its probely not to tough a job.

tncattle":bld0ikjk said:
3 ranches, one is approximately 2800 acres with 470 cows. need someone that can calve out and work cows, keep fences, barnes, corrales maintained and equipment clean and serviced. That's it in a nutshell. Seems like a massive place for basically one person to maintain. Help is provided when working cows or haying but mostly you work indepently on whatever needs doing

Set up properly this is a one man operation with neighbours to help in at certain times of the year.

And for sure any competent husband and wife team could do this hands down.

I know because wife and I have done it - and in fact we were larger.

Talked to a friend of mine in Alberta yesterday - they run about 1100 head on about 6 or 8 sections plus some lease land.

Just him, his wife and his son.

It is all in how it is set up.

Bez

Very possible, I could easily handle all the day to day stuff by self, then have help at the times you mentioned. The only thing is, what are the other places? Bigger, smaller, how far away?

denvermartinfarms":36w91b7d said:
Very possible, I could easily handle all the day to day stuff by self, then have help at the times you mentioned. The only thing is, what are the other places? Bigger, smaller, how far away?

No doubt in my mind - you could handle this DMF

Just set it up right - but dam ned if I would do this for someone else

Have to be more in this than dollars - need some shares in the product or you just become the hired hand that can be let go when someone else comes along who will do the work for less.

Bez

tncattle":3n0dk7dv said:
3 ranches, one is approximately 2800 acres with 470 cows.]/b] need someone that can calve out and work cows, keep fences, barnes, corrales maintained and equipment clean and serviced. That's it in a nutshell. Seems like a massive place for basically one person to maintain. Help is provided when working cows or haying but mostly you work indepently on whatever needs doing

I would read this as having 470 cows on the 2800 acres only. So are there more cows on the other 2 ranches, and how big are they, and how many cows on them and how far apart?

snake67":2uxtvt9i said:
denvermartinfarms":2uxtvt9i said:

No doubt in my mind - you could handle this DMF

Just set it up right - but dam ned if I would do this for someone else

Have to be more in this than dollars - need some shares in the product or you just become the hired hand that can be let go when someone else comes along who will do the work for less.

Bez
Your right, I just look at it like this. If I needed a job, and someone offered me a full time job where I could make a living doing the work discribed, I could do it.

I don't know how big the other 2 places are. That said, 470 mother cows on 2,800 acres is a one man job with some daywork as needed, no problem.

I don't know how big the other two ranches are but the 470 ain't no problem. Happens every day around here and more. My 80 yo neighbor runs 500 with no help except working and haying. He is spread out all over the place. A feed truck with a bale bed is the key for our country.

Latest posts