Does anyone have Scottish Highlands?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rereading your note. I do take some offence to the statement that we are selling skiny grass fed beef to people who think it is better for them. We defintiely do not sell skinny cows, they are not grass fed. We run a 5000 dryland and irrigated farm (cattle being a minor part) and we definitely know what we are doing and understand the cattle business as well as anyone does (I would like to meet someone who really does understand the business or the farming business for that matter). We used to sell to high end restaurants in the Denver area but got tired of trying to make fickle chefs happy with the exact sizes and shapes of every cut and could not always move the chucks and hamburger. That is another market, but I do not know anyone doing it successfully.

Anyway, before you make assumptions about what a person's cattle look like or thier customers (our are generally quite knowledgable about beef - they just want something better than Walmart or even "Ranchers Reserve") I suggest you find out a little. You are demonstrating your level of knowledge quite clearly.

Way of the Cross Farm,
I just now read this post, don't let anyone discourage you if you have something that you like. Do you think that for one minute I lose any sleep over someone who is so arrogant and makes rude comments about my Longhorn cattle? Nope. You know, not everyone likes my breed of choice but there are plenty who do and there's a market for those cattle. The first thing that I tell anyone who comes to the farm to look into buying Longhorns is that these are not salebarn cattle. We don't sell our cattle at the salebarn. It's registered sales or private treaty. Yes, we sell Longhorn beef and people love it. I know virtually nothing about the Highland breed but I would say that they have a place and I would think that it wouldn't be limited to just hobby farming either.

And so what if you have a breed that's a little bit more interesting to look at than your average black, polled animal (not knocking anyone else's breeds either)? Good for you if someone wants to buy some of your cattle for pets. Basically, if you are going to raise a breed that's not necessarily a mainstream breed you will have to work at developing your market for those animals but it can be done.

Continue on with your Highlands and don't get discouraged by someone who doesn't like them, you never know what some of those people really have. They may only have two cows of their own and just be blowing smoke or they may be big time ranchers but that doesn't give them any reason to run down what someone else is doing. Enjoy the breed of cattle that you have. :cboy:

Wow look at the yak raisers come out of the woodwork now. I like that though it shows that they have pride and conviction for what they do. Not everyone will admit to being a yak rancher even fewer will fight to the death defending it.

You may not agree with what someone else likes, but you dont have to dog somebody for it. I bet his " yaks " are better cared for than your cattle, if you even have any.

Cow_Town":14b2u9ve said:
You may not agree with what someone else likes, but you dont have to dog somebody for it. I bet his " yaks " are better cared for than your cattle, if you even have any.
Your welcome to stop by anytime and you can see how my cattle are cared for. I will take you up on that bet also. Everybody on here knows who I am and where I'm from. I've got nothing to hide how about yourself there Cow_Town am I welcome to visit your operation.

somn, where did you get come up with the yak thing? Did your cat visit your cereal bowl? Can you post some photos of your cattle for eveyone on the board to see since they are obviously superior to anyone elses on here? There's no reason for you or anyone else to run someone or their cattle down just because you don't like them. Too bad folks with such attitudes are allowed on here.

somn":i35lsmjg said:
Cow_Town":i35lsmjg said:
Your welcome to stop by anytime and you can see how my cattle are cared for. I will take you up on that bet also. Everybody on here knows who I am and where I'm from. I've got nothing to hide how about yourself there Cow_Town am I welcome to visit your operation.

Oh, your welcome to visit any time. I cant promise that when my dogs sees an arrogant yankee that they wont bite him though.

Rustler Have you ever fed any yaks before I have they ain't worth a squirt of piss in a feedyard. I've never said my cattle are superior to anyone elses. Show me where I've ever said that. I have just fed enough different breeds to know when a breed needs to be erradicated. These people continue to tell us how good there cattle are just because they have new and return customers. So does the dog business 90% of the dogs bought in America serve no purpose they are bought as pets the same as yaks. The difference being dogs don't enter the cattle market highlands do these people are constantly cross breeding in hopes of producing a better animal problem is that crap gets crossbred and crossbred until you have such crappy cattle it hurts the indusrty as a whole but like most posting on this very thread they could care less for the industry. Intresting statement to make on a cattle board but atleast they are honest.

What breeds who you like me to take pictures of? The chars, the simms, the limms, the angus, the holstiens or the blue roans, the pinz, the maines, as you can see I don't really care what I feed as long as it makes me money. That was the key makes me money. Highlands will never do it. Where did I come up with the yak thing maybe you should look at some pictures of purebred highlands then look at some yak photos I'm guessing the highland is a direct decendant maybe an F1. People make the claim these cattle have been around for 150 to 200 years that maybe I don't know I wasn't born then. But if you read books or magazines about life at that time it becomes apparent that a person living during those times could ride a horse carry a rifle and shoot people they didn't like. Well we can't do that anymore thankfully. Times change what was good then isn't still good in all cases. Move on. I live in a state with one of the lowest average daily temps. All breeds of cattle I feed do fine here there is no need for yaks and there ability to withstand difficult weather is the only postive they have.

Cow_Town":3tq42mbw said:
somn":3tq42mbw said:
Cow_Town":3tq42mbw said:

Oh, your welcome to visit any time. I cant promise that when my dogs sees an arrogant yankee that they wont bite him though.
After some research I'm unable to find your name or what town to visit you at. Could you tell me again I will write it down this time.

somn":2bylzqre said:
Cow_Town":2bylzqre said:
somn":2bylzqre said:
Cow_Town":2bylzqre said:

After some research I'm unable to find your name or what town to visit you at. Could you tell me again I will write it down this time.

Check PM

somn":3sgjsygy said:
I wasn't born then. But if you read books or magazines about life at that time it becomes apparent that a person living during those times could ride a horse carry a rifle and shoot people they didn't like. Well we can't do that anymore thankfully. Times change what was good then isn't still good in all cases.

I thought it was still legal too ride a horse as long as you don't take it on the interstate? Also I have my rifle with me pretty much whereever I go (although my bolt action 30-0-06 with scope is a far more capable weapon than the black powder muskets they fought the War of Northern Aggression with). And like the 1850s, I can shoot anybody I don't like (as long as I don't get caught and/or am willing to accept the consequences). Though then they hung you. Today you hang out with your criminal buddies lifting weights, folding laundry, and watching television. Not too much has changed since then except that they moved the toilet into the house.

somn did it take time for you to turn into an ignorant ---hole or were you born this way?

The cattle industry has many sides to it not just the sale barn and feed lot. If you have had cattle for any number of years you would know this. The way you talk makes me think you are either a newbie or an arm chair cattlemen.

S.R.R.":zns6uoux said:
somn did it take time for you to turn into an ignorant ---hole or were you born this way?

The cattle industry has many sides to it not just the sale barn and feed lot. If you have had cattle for any number of years you would know this. The way you talk makes me think you are either a newbie or an arm chair cattlemen.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Goodbeef where have you been? I started a small herd of Highlands along with some others on here and we are always needing advice on them. I don't think it matters what breed you have if you don't have at least 30 you probly won't make much profit if any. I enjoy my Highlands and they do taste great. I have found it relatively easy to sell the meat.

S.R.R.":2l7jj1ss said:

No I was born this way name calling shows your intelect. You can call me a newbie and armchair cattleman or an ignorant ass hole you can call me anything you want Your welcome to swing by and have a look at what I do. I just love name callers who hide behind usernames do you raise your skirt to pee.

somn":2d9acv63 said:
S.R.R.":2d9acv63 said:

No I was born this way name calling shows your intelect. You can call me a newbie and armchair cattleman or an ignorant ass hole you can call me anything you want Your welcome to swing by and have a look at what I do. I just love name callers who hide behind usernames do you raise your skirt to pee.

I see you dish it out much better then you can take it! ;-)
Talk to me agian when you have learned a bit more about the cattle industry as a whole not JUST the feed lot aspect.

S.R.R.":1t6oux24 said:
somn":1t6oux24 said:
S.R.R.":1t6oux24 said:

I see you dish it out much better then you can take it! ;-)
Talk to me agian when you have learned a bit more about the cattle industry as a whole not JUST the feed lot aspect.
Maybe you could tell me all about the cattle industry after reading your posts it seems your knowledge of the industry has come along way in the last 2 years. My personal favorite question that you asked was this one.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/post-11337 ... ht=#113372

Internet cowboys gotta love em. You can learn alot from the internet this guy is proof.

Latest posts