Dodge Auto Transmission problem

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
I have a 05 ram 2500 diesel. Took it to a shop to have the transmission serviced. They changed the filter fluid and adjusted the bands per the service manual. I picked up the truck and drive it home only about 6 miles to the house. Got back in it the next day and drive it over to the barn to hook up trailer. When I put it in reverse it wouldn't move. Changed it back to drive and it still would move. Turned the truck off for a few minutes then put it in drive and it moves about 50 ft then stopped pulling. The shop that done it came out with roll back and hauled it back to there place. Now they are saying that the bands needs replaced.
I have never had any problems with the transmission until after they serviced it. It has always changed gears good and doesn't slip. Anyone have any ideas of what went wrong?

Automatic transmissions have fibrous clutches that wear out under normal use. If you change the fluid regularly this is not a problem. However, if you don't change the fluid normally the clutch wear is in the fluid which essentially keeps everything working properly. When you drain the fluid or worse have it flushed it removes the clutch wear in the fluid which causes things to start going south. I'm not a proponent of transmission fluid changes. I have a Toyota Sequoia with 300k miles & never had the trans fluid changed but can all but guarantee that if I had it flushed it would fail within 2k miles. Engine oil is an entirely different animal. Change it regularly with the same weight oil. I've seen several engine failures from not changing the engine oil.

On a different note... you might check the fluid level to make sure it was filled to proper level. What exactly did they do when they "adjusted the bands"? Not much to adjust that I know if without tearing the valve body down but I'm. It a transmission mechanic, either.

I had a similar problem with an '01. Went to pick up a load of hay and missed the gate in the field. When I went to back up it wouldn't move. I was able to pull forward and make a loop to get were I needed, got loaded and made it home.

When I call the transmission shop and described to him what happened he knew right away what it was. Here's what he did: R&R Transfer Case, OD Unit, Replace Servo.....amount $275.00 Also Fluid, Filter, Labor $125..... total $400. This was 4/20.

I did call one other guy and he seemed to know what it was also. He wanted $600. After I waited 3 weeks for him to get me in I went to the second guy, and I'm glad i did.

Beat me to it.
Idk how many times I've seen a vehicle roll in the shop wanting the trans serviced for one reason or another.
Most shops around here won't even touch one over 100k. Too much liability they say.
I've seen them test drive just fine. Serviced professionally, and not leave the shop under it's own power

On a different note... you might check the fluid level to make sure it was filled to proper level. What exactly did they do when they "adjusted the bands"? Not much to adjust that I know if without tearing the valve body down but I'm. It a transmission mechanic, either.
I did check the fluid and it was at the correct level. The fluid smelled burnt though.
Apparently there are two bands that can be adjusted on these transmissions one of them can be adjusted on the side of the transmission and the other one is accessible when you drop the pan. From what I read you just tighten a bolt to a certain torque spec.

Yes. Dodge was one of the only ones that kept a band adjustment on their trannies. I thought by 2005 they had done away with that. I've always been scared to death to try and adjust em. A bit more than just a simple torque spec...

Yes. Dodge was one of the only ones that kept a band adjustment on their trannies. I thought by 2005 they had done away with that. I've always been scared to death to try and adjust em. A bit more than just a simple torque spec...
05 was the last year they had that. The 06 didn't

I had a similar problem with an '01. Went to pick up a load of hay and missed the gate in the field. When I went to back up it wouldn't move. I was able to pull forward and make a loop to get were I needed, got loaded and made it home.

When I call the transmission shop and described to him what happened he knew right away what it was. Here's what he did: R&R Transfer Case, OD Unit, Replace Servo.....amount $275.00 Also Fluid, Filter, Labor $125..... total $400. This was 4/20.

I did call one other guy and he seemed to know what it was also. He wanted $600. After I waited 3 weeks for him to get me in I went to the second guy, and I'm glad i did.
This little servo is the demon that gave the Dodge tranny's a bad name.
The truck will usually drive but will shift very poorly and run in a limp mode. Lots of good tranny's replaced over it.

In the ops case it sure sounds like worn out clutch pack to me. If that's the case not the shops fault.

I'm not a huge believer in the notion that changing the fluid will kill them, but there may be some truth to it. I think a lot of people change the fluid hoping to fix an issue, and blame the fluid change when it quits altogether a short while later, when the trans had one foot out the door in the first place. With only 135k miles, and if the fluid was not smoked to start with, I doubt the fluid change killed it.

It needs to go to a trans shop, sounds like you are in need of a rebuild, I'm betting that they set the bands incorrectly.

If they are set too loose, they will slip, if too tight, they will drag and burn up. Either case results in a rebuild.

I'm not a huge believer in the notion that changing the fluid will kill them, but there may be some truth to it. I think a lot of people change the fluid hoping to fix an issue, and blame the fluid change when it quits altogether a short while later, when the trans had one foot out the door in the first place. With only 135k miles, and if the fluid was not smoked to start with, I doubt the fluid change killed it.

It needs to go to a trans shop, sounds like you are in need of a rebuild, I'm betting that they set the bands incorrectly.

If they are set too loose, they will slip, if too tight, they will drag and burn up. Either case results in a rebuild.

i think they over tighten them as well. They call today to tell me that the bands and clutches will need to be replaced. 1965$ Parts and labor.

If they mess up a service and adjustment I'm not paying them 2k to over haul. I'm finding a competent transmission man

Dodge dealer is who done the work. Talked to the service manager today. Apparently the bands only has something to do with changing the gears. He told me pretty much exactly the same thing that Col Reb said.

A good friends dad owns a tranny shop. He said under no circumstances should you ever change the trans fluid unless you're rebuilding it. Not sure why but that's what the man said lol

Dodge dealer is who done the work. Talked to the service manager today. Apparently the bands only has something to do with changing the gears. He told me pretty much exactly the same thing that Col Reb said.

From what I gather the front band handles 2nd gear, and the rear band is needed for reverse and manual 1.

I think it is wise to get the truck to a separate transmission shop and see what they say. Perhaps they can shed some light on what happened.

There's a very slim chance that the dealer actually does any rebuilding in-house, they just send it out, might as well cut out the middle man. Most transmission shops will do R&R as well.

Call Dynamic Transmission in Washington state and talk to John. He is very knowledgeable and very helpful. For the price the dealer is talking you could get a very good replacement tranny. I bought a upgraded tranny for my 3500 from John and had it installed at the local Dodge dealer here in Texas. I am extremely happy with the transmission.

Latest posts