do you

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":3aoibvu6 said:
bigbull338":3aoibvu6 said:
my bull runs with the cows year round.now if the cow goes longer than i think without calving she will be put on the cull list.i had 2 cows on the list for this fall.an they calved back real quick.so they will get to stay in the herd.

My bull runs with the cows year round too. If it wasn't that way, they'd get bred by a neighbor's bull that I don't want them bred to. I can only assume these folks with a 60 day window have no neighbors. Some of mine calve every 10 1/2 months give or take.

We've got lots of neighbours. Most of the cows are bred in that 60 day window. The ones that aren't go to town once they are preg-checked open. After that there are no more non-pregnant cows in the pasture til after calving. Bulls go back with the cows after about 80 days from the start of calving, and we start the cycle over again. We have more trouble when we LEAVE our bulls with the cows past 60 days. The start getting bored and the start trying to find new girlfriends. So THEY come home to a pasture where there are no other cows to get them going. Most neighbours have a calving window too. Might not start/end exactly the same as ours, but it's usually close enough to minimize problems. The biggest problem with bulls during breeding season is having them fighting with the neighbours and wrecking fence, would hate to deal with that 365 days a year......

Fertility is the number one trait for my cattle. If it is not my fault then the cow is culled.
A cow just one month late breeding on a consistent basis would equal one less calf produced during her productive life span.

1982vett":36h0y79m said:
Funnel butt would be a complement but that wouldn't be politically correct as that would be a form of racial profiling. :secret: Ohhhboy :lol: is this heading down the path of no return. :D

I am with the Politically Correct Police Hate Crime Division and you have been officially WARNED! :p

Latest posts