Do you even try?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
After seeing the video on Ranchers "The dirty 30's" and thinking if what I got going on trying to convert cactus to grass I wonder if it's even worth a try seeing as it don't look like we ( I'm in North Central Texas ) are going to get the rain we need. What do you do? I think my money is better building a bigger hay barn and sourcing better hay men. What do you do? Thanks in advance.

If you are that bad I would put the money I was going to spend in a new building into a vacation.

Call it stress reduction.

I would sell the cows - all of them - and pay off any bills - hold on to the land.

I would take the money I was going to spend on hay and hold it

Never buy long term hay to feed a herd of any animals

You will go broke - I know this for a fact!! No one can afford to buy hay to feed a herd long term.

It is the worst thing you can do

Ask me - I have been there

If you MUST keep the cows - it is far more economical to move them to the feed - and I have moved cattle across western provinces to feed them.

I highly recommend you NEVER - EVER buy long term hay to feed cows.

It is an interim measure only

I also recommend you make the decision as soon as possible - one way or the other.

You can easily go broke saving money by purchasing hay in bits and pieces - hoping for a rain.

I saw the video and have friends there.

A rain will not help that recovery - it will take a lot of rain and a lot of time.

If you are running two pet cows do as you see fit.

Every seller in the country will want you to call - heck some guy called a7 already jumped on you - you want trucking included - all the way from WV???

If you are in the business - then you better play this smart or your azz is going to be punched AND bored in no time

I truly wish you all the best

Bez

I say yes, try! I am right there with you. We are slowly going thru and "turning catus to grass". It is slow going but I have seen some improvements. Of course, we have hay (and good neighbors with more grass) but long term I think we will get there. Wherever there is!

I'll keep trying, but mostly because I'm old and just don't care about the end game. To me--for now and most of my life--it's the fight that matters. I'll take that vacation in the wooden box when God says it's time. Enough philosophizing tho.
Walked thru the nearest pasture this morning---the grass is already going 'crunch crunch crunch' and it isn't from frost. Gonna be an interesting year-----again. But do we really want to be part of something that is so easy anyone can and will do it?
I don't.

Latest posts