Do I "NEED" a Tractor? Do I "NEED" to f

Help Support CattleToday:

You need to slow down......with your full time job there is no way to do all the things you need done by yourself or without signifigant investment. Fix your fences well enough to contain cattle, wire and plier's are cheap. Have your animals or someone else's graze while your at work, sleeping or fixing fence. I cant imagine not having a tractor and brushcutter(and all the other timesaving toys). Your tractor dealer will finance just like a car and the additional work you'll get done is amazing. If you can't swing it just figure some stuff won't get done, it'll be OK. If you just gotta go fast, a 50 hour work week still leaves 118 hours for fun.

Good luck from overpriced SF Bay Area,

Rick

You might consider hiring someone that lives close to the ranch for a little help on things such as fencing, building pens, shredding, etc. As far as a tractor goes, I would say "yes" you should probably get one. It will come in handy for shredding, putting out round bales, and countless other things. No need to go out and buy a new one, just look around and I'm sure you can come across something used.

Make a list of tasks that need to be accomplished and equipment that needs to be bought. Put the most important things at the top, and start tackling them one by one.

Currently I am working for a man that is in your same position. He lives about 150 miles away from the ranch and is only able to make it up at certain times. I take care of most of the day-to-day tasks such as feeding, reparing fence and building pens, and he makes the management decisions based on my observations and the direction he wants to take the ranch.

Jason, it appears you need to decide pretty quick if you want to conrinue being a realtor, which takes up alot of time, or a 211 acre ranch owner, which also takes up alot of time! There's nothing worse than having a place and not being able to enjoy it, either because you work too much or don't have the money to take care of it properly. Living on land isn't cheap by any means, and 4 cows aren't going to make a dent in anything, much less keep your ag exemption for very much longer. Maybe you need to sell the boat and get a little running money to at least get started on the place, and then decide if you want to spend all of your offtime for the next yr or so working on this place.
I know you dont want to sell the place, and I commend you for wanting to take care of your grandfathers place, but 211 acres is pretty overwhelming, especially for one person. Is there any way you could find some mexicans to help clean it up for you, that way you can work and make money and believe me, they will do more work in a day that you probably will in a week! I pay my guys $8 bucks an hr when I need them, and they have cleared many feet of fence line and cut down many a tree for me. I get to do the easy part, burning the piles, mowing my yard and such. At least that would allow you to keep your day job!
Good luck, and keep us informed in what you're doing, as we've all been where you are at one time or another!

When you mention shredding, do you mean shredding the existing coastal? I'm looking at a considerable amount for a person to come and cut it and bale it, if I could roll that same $ into a tractor and shredder I think I'd be ahead. I don't really need the hay for my 5 cows, but I don't want the fields to go to pot either.

I'm also not in a position where I can hire much work out. I can't be there to supervise, (keep the things not bolted down from leaving).

Thanks,

TXBobcat":13iohpml said:
You might consider hiring someone that lives close to the ranch for a little help on things such as fencing, building pens, shredding, etc. As far as a tractor goes, I would say "yes" you should probably get one. It will come in handy for shredding, putting out round bales, and countless other things. No need to go out and buy a new one, just look around and I'm sure you can come across something used.

Make a list of tasks that need to be accomplished and equipment that needs to be bought. Put the most important things at the top, and start tackling them one by one.

Currently I am working for a man that is in your same position. He lives about 150 miles away from the ranch and is only able to make it up at certain times. I take care of most of the day-to-day tasks such as feeding, reparing fence and building pens, and he makes the management decisions based on my observations and the direction he wants to take the ranch.

I'm working on becoming a rancher 85% of the time. I can't leave my current employment situation until December. Selling this land that's been in my family for 7 generations is NOT an option. But I understand where you're coming from. I thought I could do both: work=$$$$ ranch=time and I cannot. I've already decided the ranch is more important. I'm just getting recommendations on how I can more efficiently use the little time I do have until 1/2005.

Thanks,

eric":13z9z73t said:
Jason, it appears you need to decide pretty quick if you want to conrinue being a realtor, which takes up alot of time, or a 211 acre ranch owner, which also takes up alot of time! There's nothing worse than having a place and not being able to enjoy it, either because you work too much or don't have the money to take care of it properly. Living on land isn't cheap by any means, and 4 cows aren't going to make a dent in anything, much less keep your ag exemption for very much longer. Maybe you need to sell the boat and get a little running money to at least get started on the place, and then decide if you want to spend all of your offtime for the next yr or so working on this place.
I know you dont want to sell the place, and I commend you for wanting to take care of your grandfathers place, but 211 acres is pretty overwhelming, especially for one person. Is there any way you could find some mexicans to help clean it up for you, that way you can work and make money and believe me, they will do more work in a day that you probably will in a week! I pay my guys $8 bucks an hr when I need them, and they have cleared many feet of fence line and cut down many a tree for me. I get to do the easy part, burning the piles, mowing my yard and such. At least that would allow you to keep your day job!
Good luck, and keep us informed in what you're doing, as we've all been where you are at one time or another!

I greatly appreciate the advice. Its nice to get some advice from un-vested 3rd parties.

#1 I haven't decided what to do with the Coastal/Weed fields. I don't really need to bale it, will be in a better position next spring with time, fertilizer and hopefully equipment. But I probably need to cut it somehow. Will cutting it and letting is sit there ruin the fields?

#2 I plan to keep attacking the mesquites and perhaps find someone who would like to work with me on the weekends for an hourly rate. If they are trustworthy and responsible would consider letting them take on a larger role during the week.

#3 I'm glad I have those 5 heifers. It really makes my day when I get to feed them and mess around with them. When I'm at work I miss them too. They're too funny! Having them out there has really made me appreciate the whole process more and understand my grandfather's love of the place, its my HOME.

#4 The money issue is my own fault. I spread myself too thin and don't have any reserves to get some of this work done. I'll have more money as I get my toys paid off. I'm also paying a repressive mortgage in town that will disappear in a few weeks!

Thanks,

Hello TexasHart --- sorry that I can't give a definitive answer to your question about when the mesquite seed pods come out, since my direct experience is mostly with huisache --- but I would imagine July or August. When I get to my deer lease in San Saba county in late summer the mesquite "beans" are already hanging.

Looks like it indeed is a very nice place and it sounds like your grandpa had it wonderfully crossfenced into nice sized paddocks. Should be ideal for a rotational grazing setup and you ought to be able to get by without much, if any, winter feeding other than maybe a little supplement to stockpiled pastures.

A few other thoughts: You are in ranch country so the local county extension agent probably could be helpful (more so than one stationed in what is primarily row-crop country).

With a 50 hour a week town job you are going to be overwhelmed trying to get control of brush, mesquite, etc. (from the picture, it looks like you have a little cedar or ash juniper problem starting as well). In my view that's all the more reason to try to find the right guy to help use some of that grass in return for $$ or a commitment to work the range and fences for you.

The small mesquite in the picture is the easiest to get after, but I know that it can be a daunting job on only a limited part time basis --- as my own place with it's huisache problems would demonstrate!

Comments by others about the build up of dead matter, thatch, weeds, etc. in the bermuda hay field being viewed negatively are probably on target. Consider putting some ads in the local papers to see if you can find somebody interested in the field if you will commit it to him for a several year period. Knowing that they have the field for a period of years is possibly going to make the hay guys or other ranchers more interested in working it this first year. I'd avoid paying $2,000+ to that guy a couple of couties over to cut and bale for you, since you don't really need much hay, if any, for your small herd and then you'd have to worry about trying to market the remainder of the hay bales. If you don't find anybody to work the hay field on shares or for a little $$ paid to you, you may want to discuss with the county agent the advisability and possibility of a controlled burn at the right time of the year. Quite a few hill country bermuda fields are burned down in late winter prior to fertilizing and spring green-up.

I am mindful of your desire to presently not spend any more $$ than you absolutely have to. Have you considered trying to raise a little hunting revenue? Some folks worry that admitting hunters might open up a can of worms. However, most Texas ranchers with good wildlife realize a substantial part of their overall revenue via leasing of deer/quail/dove hunting rights, with proper attention to hunter/owner liability releases, clearly spelled out rules,etc. With all those stock tanks I wonder if the dove shooting is any good? Some of my most memorable dove hunts have been tank shoots. City folks in Houston (and I'd bet in DFW also) think nothing of driving many miles and paying $25 to $50 for an afternoon of dove hunting. Any bass or cats in those tanks? Too bad I'm so far away -- I'd trade you some manual labor and/or tractor use for some hunting-fishing privileges. Think about that concept with respect to some of the city folks you work with (but talk to your insurance man).

D.R. Cattle":1b7zagdp said:
Is there any way you could find some mexicans to help clean it up for you,

Funny how one can get away with saying that, but get waylayed for other ethnic groups?

Interesting observation and great point. It's actually a compliment to the Mexicans and reflects favorably on their work ethic. But certain other groups would take great offense.

Craig-TX

TexasHart --- A few more thoughts:

Contact the local farm service agency (FSA) office and see if you could quality for some federal cost-share money for mesquite and cedar eradication under the EQIP program, or other similar programs. I know that over in Concho county there has been substantial funding in the effort to help restore the water resource by eradication of many thousands of acres of mesquite and cedar (ash juniper). Some cost share could really help, because you'll spend a heck of a lot of $$ just on Remedy, or similar products, even if you do all the work yourself.

I think that, sooner or later, you should look into the possibility of getting rid of all, or most, of the BIG mesquite trees on the place. You can't do much about what your neighbors have on their places, but at least you can try to eliminate the source of constant re-seeding of mesquite from your place. However, just as with huisache, fighting mesquite is probably a never-ending battle. If you have some big, old growth mesquite there may be a way for you to get somebody else to cut it and pay you something for it, as my deer lease owner did. As I'm sure you know, restaurants use a lot of mesquite wood all over Texas and there is also a developing market for it in the custom made furniture industry.

IMHO --- Don't scale back your "real" job in 2005 too drastically since it's what pays the bills, unless you were really planning to retire anyway. Cattle prices are at record high levels these days and this current cycle may have some legs, but "normal" times will return. LONG gone are the days when a man could make a decent living raising commercial cattle, cotton, corn, etc. on 200+ acres (even if they are $$ free and clear), so do the ranching thing with the expectation that it is a sideline revenue producer at best, or something good to do as a supplement to other income during retirement.

I don't want to bore to tears you or the other members with my ramblings, so if you'd care to hear any of my other thoughts please feel free to send me a PM. Good luck --- I've got a feeling you'll succeed and have a place that would make your grandpa proud.

Arnold and others have given some great advice. Other than continuing to stay involved with this board, there is one more must for you in your area. Spend $25 for a subscription to Livestock Weekly. Published about 50 weeks out of the year in San Angelo. Lots of news and markets for your area. Call them at (800)284-5268 and they'll probably get you started and bill you. Also can check them out at http://www.livestockweekly.com. They also have a great classified section where you might find some help. I started my sub in the mid '80's and would rather give up indoor plumbing than my Livestock Weekly.

TexasHart":3bxgc8xq said:
How come nobody wants free hay????

you may want to look around some more. i would guess you could find someone to cut & bale on shares, especially if you're will to give them 70% or more. maybe put up some notices in the local feed stores or county extension agent's office of maybe even the newspaper. my bet is you'll find someone.

sign a contract with a local rancher let him do the work and keep the hay out of your fields for say....the annual taxes on your land. in a couple of years when you can afford what it takes to maintain your fields,they will still be fields and not a tree farm like what you have growing now.

Hey Jason, If all you got coming up looks like what's around that pond/tank, that ain't too bad. Get you one of those 15 gallon 12v spot spray rigs from TSC that you mount on the back rack of your 4 wheeler, a gallon of remedy and go to it. I got a 110 acres in limestone co. with about that same size coming up but ten times thicker. I'm still able to run 20 momas in the spring and summer, ten in the winter, and they been doing pretty good last couple of years. Mines all dozer work at this point, but I ain't giving up. Thank God I got a friend over at Rosebud with a little dozer who cuts me a fair deal. We just get what we can when we can. Hang in there, the God awful stuff's a life time battle know matter how you look at it. I'd think surely you could find some one around you to cut that hay medar.

How old are you? If you are still young, just get after it! There's no subsitute for hard work. You've been blessed with this land, you are the care taker of it. Take care of it.
I don't know what mesquite is [sounds bad] you dont need a tractor yet.
use a chainsaw cordless drill and brush killer. cut off tree at two of three inches above ground drill hole into stump 3"deep and fill with brush killer.
Repeat. Burn brush in piles after it drys.
Next year buy an old tractor and heavy duty pull type brush hog.
keep it mowed 2 or 3 times per year. in short order it will be as you remember it. I dont mean to sound gruff, but its a fight, you will win if you bust your hump.
Here in SW Missouri its scrub oak. if you let it go our pastures would revert back to oak forest in short order. I bought 160 ac in '86 that was covered with scrub oak 2 ft. to 20 ft. It took four years and 15 years off my life expectancy, but it is now a good grass farm.
Remember you are blessed, I have 12 more annual payments before I'm in as good place as youre at right now

Latest posts