Do cattle get collic

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
I have a bull that acts like he has a belly ache. I called the vet thinks he,ll be fine. When he stands up and walks he tosses his head and flix his tail alot Then lays back down. He loks o.k. laying there and chews his cud, has been having bowel movements.Been 12 hrs now ,he was chasing the girls all day yesturday He has been nibbling a little hay than stops.What do you think? am I just worrying to much? we keep a pretty close eye on them.

I would think about acidosis or bloat- long before colic
Either way if swishing tail and head are his worst symptoms- he'll probably get over either one of those on his own.

Listen for grinding teeth or if he doesn't act right in a day or so-- then I would get concerned.

Thanks He doesn't look bloated, he hasn't received alot of grain. He sure is irritated he planted a steer just for looking at him. I put a new bale of alfalfa out sat and the old bale wasn't quite this good maybe he over ate on it. The others seem to be fine. :roll:

They have been on the Alfalfa 2 months now I would think they would be used to it. Am I wrong by thinking this? :?:

Wow-- I read hay and thought .... hay
Alfalfa free choice(unless its junk) is indeed overkill on sooo many levels.

He seems to be back to normal tonight. Not sure what the problem was. I mixed some grass hay in with the alfalfa so hopefully it won,t be a problem. It isn,t very good quality alfalfa and I would think they should be used to it. Thanks for the replies seems like every day I learn something new. I only have one more bale of alfalfa,I will try to mix it next year I will only buy grass!!

Grandpa used to say to listen carefully and you can tell if they have a fart caught sideways...get real close now Davie.

We feed alfalfa/grass, two feedings per day and have never bloated a cow. New arrivals get grass with a small amount of alfalfa until the rumen can grow the bacteria necessary to digest a richer intake. AGD is 2.5 year round.
Dmc

i feed alfalfa a lot i do not however buy 1st cutting. and i try to buy a mix thru out the yr!

if it isn't very good quality i would worry about it bloating!

Latest posts