DISTANCE FROM GATE TO BLOCK GATE?

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
11242011heifer001.jpg

I dont have a head gate but built a wood gate at the end of this.
How far back should a block gate be?

I have big fat hereford cattle

I just stick a pipe behind them horizontal in front of a support post. They touch that pipe and they move forward again. I don't have a Headgate either. Just a alley type run/chute.
Got some things in the works now tho where I'm going to need to get a mobile squeeze and some panels.

Am I missing something? How are you going to access the cows for innoculations etc? Through that wooden chute? Are you going to use that front gate as a medina gate?

I think I would take that front gate, add another one and set up a medina. Here is an example.

http://grangercattleco.com/medinahinge.html

Backhoe, the picture doesn't show the whole alley (on right), you'll have to click on it or right click, to open picture. :compute:

I already have the front gate built and hinged. the block gate is built and haven't hinged it yet.
This older picture shows the alley 'open' before i installed front gate.

The 8 foot Blue gate on the left you see swings 180degree, (homemade tub), plans came from the Ohio extension site.

So whats enough length to cram a 1200 lb Hereford in?

I think I still have the same question though, how will you reach the cattle? And, how will you reach the block gate to close it? I assume you won't be going in there behind a cow? The nice thing about using the pipe is that you can set up stops for different size cattle, but I would think that 7' would fit most everything?

Latest posts