Distance for pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

ncboy34

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity how far do some of yall drive to pastures you have cows in? I possibly might have a lead on a pasture for rent that is about 70 acres but is probably around 30-40 minutes away. I've got pastures around the house I'm using but always looking to expand just trying to decide if the distance is worth it.

Thirty minutes away doesn't sound bad at all to me. We used to be spread out over an hour either way (the farthest places were two hours apart) - sure kept us busy, but it wasn't bad.

20 minutes wasnt too bad but now i have them ten minutes away and its all i want. Especially if bottle feeding

My farthest is less than 30 miles one way, but it takes 2 hours minimum to make a quick trip over and back to just make sure they are still there. As hard as it is to find land to rent , I wouldn't let a hour each way stop me, I would want it to have pretty good fence if I was that far away.

for me, it's 5 minutes, when you're walking. I am looking at leasing some land for pasture, but it'll be on my way to town, probably about 15 minutes and I'll pass by it weekly anyhow.

We have one pasture about 45 minutes away and another about an hour away. We put them out in the spring and bring them home in the late fall for the winter.

Same here have a pasture bout 35 minutes/35 miles away. I put them there in spring and I wean their calves there and bring them to winter ground in fall. B&G

I work full time so about 15-20 miles. If cattle were a full time job I would think an hour wouldn't bother me if it were a big enough piece to run some good numbers on.

I have a place that is 200 acres and it is 50 min. away. I check the cattle on it about evert 5 days but I have a good friend that lives 3 miles away that needed some place for him and his kids to ride their horses so I gave him a key to gate so he will ride through and check cows for me a couple times a week

My summer place is 17 miles away. I used to haul pairs there after branding at home in the spring.

Sold calves off the cows there or weaned heifers to keep and brought them home with trailers. Depending on grass/winter the cows might not come home until late Dec.

Days are pretty short that time of year but I always trailed the cows home. Took most of the winter daylight hours, but not doing much else except chores that time of year anyway.

Don't have cows anymore so I have been taking in 60 pairs with potential replacement heifer calves from a neighbor for summer. He trails them to my pasture in late May after branding.

Neighbor has enough to do at home on sale day so it's nice to not have to mess with the bunch at my place on sale day. He only sells steers in the fall. Keeps all heifers and oddball or light steers until after the first of the year. Needs the room for calving so the final cut is around 100 replacement heifers kept.

The heifer calves at my place get weaned and hauled home after his big bunch of weaned calves is settled down. Cows get trailed home later. The route is only about 5 miles and no blacktop to deal with.

Just across the road. We just walk them out our gate across to theirs. The little old lady who owns it is in her late 80's and lives in town; her only child ( a daughter) lives in Austin. They use the place as a weekend "retreat" a half dozen times ( maybe) a year. We look after it and runs a few cows, mostly cut hay off it. Works out well for everyone.

I can get to most of mine in an hour but they're only about ten miles away.
How many head can you run on that place? That would be the determining factor for me. I'll travel if it's worth my time but a few head tucked away an hour away from everything else,for me, won't get taken care of the way they should and that's not healthy for them or me.

117 miles/ one hour forty five minutes. From my house to my farm house. I check them weekly in winter and ever ten days in the summer. Twenty five pairs on the average. I keep a bull with them year round. No other cattle near, but I 45 on one side and i75 on the other.

What is everyone's plan should your cows get out? Do you give all the neighbors your phone number? I was wondering about putting a phone number on ear tags or something. Seems like that could get pretty bad between a weekly check.

Latest posts