Disk mower or hay bine

Help Support CattleToday:

The Show Maker

Reaction score
Would you reather use a disk mower or hay bine im useing a big hay bine that i just got fix but im thanking about going to a disk mower next year when i can afrod one and bec of the speed and quick ness but i dont like that if u hit somthing then it will break every thing is that true. Jason

The Show Maker":3gys729f said:
Would you reather use a disk mower or hay bine im useing a big hay bine that i just got fix but im thanking about going to a disk mower next year when i can afrod one and bec of the speed and quick ness but i dont like that if u hit somthing then it will break every thing is that true. Jason

I use them both - discbine is the only way to go.

You hit something big enough to break "everything" in a discbine you need to slow down or drive better or clean up your fields.

If you have the bucks - discbine is the way to go.

Bez?

Depends on what your cutting. But a disc mower won;t fall to peieces if you hit something. If it did there would be millions of them scatterred around the ozarks rusting away

dun

I'm not sure what a discbine is - we use a swather and if something (big rock, piece of iron, etc) is hit it breaks a guard or two - sometimes 3 depending on how big the object was, but they are replaced and the swather is going again in maybe 30 minutes. I know this to be fact because I've helped Dad change the guards out on more than one occasion.

I use disc cutter on the bermudas,klein grass etc,anything that dont require conditioning,use a haybine on all the rest.........good luck
PS the New holland 488's haybines are reliable and cheap as are the Kuhn disc cutters.

This is my first year usinng a disc-bine -
Wouldn't go back for nothing.

Sure remember when I was younger -the darn sickle bar hitting the thick stuff and clogging -

These babies just keep on going.

Any Missouri guys need hay -PM me - have about 50 round bales extra.

rgv":19ezuope said:
This is my first year usinng a disc-bine -
Wouldn't go back for nothing.

Sure remember when I was younger -the darn sickle bar hitting the thick stuff and clogging -

Any Missouri guys need hay -PM me - have about 50 round bales extra.

Yeah,I been eye ballin those pricey cutters LOL...............good luck

Discbine is a haybine with a disc mower to cut the crop instead of the sickle mower. So you have a disc mower that cuts it, then conditioning rollers, then adjustable wings to either lay the crop down in a windrow ready for baling, or leave the wings wide to lay it out flat. Seems like these machines have a variety of names, haybine, discbine, mower/conditioner, etc. They all cut, squish, and windrow ( if adjusted that way ).

The machines vary in how they cut ( sickle, disc, etc ) and what they squish with ( steel rollers, rubber coated rollers, etc ).

rgv":3s39ysvr said:

My husband does all the mowing, we have a haybine.... he has been belly aching for about 3 years now how he really needs a discbine. The old Gehl we have is on its last legs... we've limped it along through some ingenious fixes/welds, etc... but it is just a matter of time... hoping to make it through this years season.

We bought a New Holland 1409 discbine last year and wouldn't trade it for the world. Have hit a few small rocks with it (nothing broken so far), blades are quickly and easily changed or flipped over. Blades are also much cheaper than sections, maybe not per piece, but if you have to replace them all at once they are. Easily adjustable for cutting height and roller tension. The only downside to the discbine is the pricetag. But IMO it's worth the money especially if you are trying to get your hay put up on weekends and evenings.

We ran New Holland 1495 sickle mowers for years. They were always getting pluged up or the wobble would go out. Then we got a pull type disc mower by case and it would get wraped up in the thick hay. Now we run a case WDX 1701 disc mower and it will put er down. The dealer said it would out mow any two sickle mowers and I believe it. Alot of our neighbors run kuhn disc mowers and get along well with them. I bet the vermeer mowers are good too.

The only point I want to make is that, haybines can be had for reasonable cost and very cheaply and myselft I can have an extra one and it cover the fuel cost of a second tractor cutting hay. For speed the discbine is the way to go.

we have both a New Holland disc mower and a New Holland 1411 discbine.this is my first season cutting hay and I have used both.the discbine blades are harder to change and the disc itself is prone to cracking due to problems with the ramps distorting the disc.we replaced 5 cracked discs and you have to go thru proper torque procedures when installing the new ramps.changing blades on the disc mower is simple and quick.unless you are in alfalfa or thick first cutting,the disc mower works just fine and I really couldn't tell much benefit in the conditioner as far as drying any quicker....it sure conditions weeds and Johnson grass well if this is what you are into.he paid about 15k for the discbine and half that for disc mower and we can pull the disc with a lot less horsepower.keep it simple.

I ALSO USE A BIG MOWER CONDITIONER,I PERFER
BECAUSE A DISCBINE THROWS ROCKS,AND THE DAMAGE CAN
BE COSTLY, MORE SO WITH DISCBINE.
CHECK IT OUT

FASTER ISN'T EVERYTHING[/b]

Latest posts