Disc mower with Bermuda

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess as much or as little as you want to. lol.
I'm no expert on Bermuda....just a little volunteer here and there. But it seems to me you would want to cut it as short as possible since its gonna become dormant here soon when it frosts.
Normally I would say not cut short to get faster regrowth. But this late....?

This time of year I like to cut a bit higher, to leave some stem as it stresses a plant to be cut short this time of year, and it may not have the reserves to winter well.. Same as grazing this time of year - best not to run it right down, or it will suffer a slow start in spring.

Supa Dexta":1h19i6qd said:
This time of year I like to cut a bit higher, to leave some stem as it stresses a plant to be cut short this time of year, and it may not have the reserves to winter well.. Same as grazing this time of year - best not to run it right down, or it will suffer a slow start in spring.

Ditto that!! We grow out and hay Tifton 85 and it's essential to leave some leaf for recovery and going into Fall/Winter, it's even more important to leave some. When cutting, we tilt the the front up just slightly

I'm kinda with M5 on this. I cut my coastal with about 2" of stubble, T85 with about 3" and bluestem with about 3" but it depends on the moisture. If there is a little moisture I'll cut it pretty darn low, if not leave a little. The bahia I would cut 2" below dirt if I could. That stuff doesn't seem to matter where you cut it, it always comes back.

Latest posts