Direction/dicisions

Help Support CattleToday:

Big blue 7

Reaction score
Hi all, I m new and this is my first post. A little about me I am a dairy farmer from wisconsin milking about 100 cows and raising all young stock. My problem is my dairy barn and milking parlor is getting old and I m still young and able to run cattle. So I have been throwing out the idea of switching completely over to beef for the past few years. I don't see my self taking the big jump in building a new dairy barn. My young stock barns would work perfect for both feeding out cattle or starting a cow/calf operation. Paster wise I have about 25 acres or grass/wooded area. I don't think I'd have a problem running 150-200 animals. Also have plenty of feilds nearby that could be converted also. But the question is what I should raise. I have been back and forth with this decsion so much I know it will come down to uptime fly me deciding but it's gonna be my way of making a living for the future and just thought I'd take in some ideas if anyone would like to share.thanks

If you plan to run 150-200 head on 25 acres you better plan to feed them almost as vigorously as you did the dairy cattle.

Big blue 7":46i20wme said:
Paster wise I have about 25 acres or grass/wooded area.

Did you by any chance mean to type 250 instead of 25? Even then I'd think you're being optimistic about the number of beef cattle you could run, but I don't know anything about the conditions in Wisconsin.

if i was you id forget running beef cattle.and if at all possable look at updating your dairy setup.because you already have the dairy setup and running.plus i doubt beef cattle would support you with out having to get a fulltime job working for the public.

Math out your dairy refurb. If you can get a 10 year note, below 6% and be cash flow positive with this added to all your other expenses then you have a decision to make.

Some hinted at it, but your going to need 500 or more acres to run those beefs. And if you read much on here you will be questioning if you can be cash flow positive running beef. You will not be CFP if you add in that land cost. You might have to pay more than $200 per acre per year for rent. This does not look promising..

Maybe you could be a small feed lot?? Maybe someone can say..

Wow thanks for fast posts. I guess I did forget to mention I run around 1000 acres or cash crops corn beans and hay. Supplying feed would be no problem with that many head it's just would it pay and I know I won't be like that monthly milk check but putting 3 million in a new barn parlor and another 400plus head of dairy cattle doesn't inlighten me. I much rather still be hands on with the cows and not take a manager roll

Latest posts