Needing Direction

Help Support CattleToday:

I have sold good cows at the barn and have recently been hauling some 3n1 good cattle for a friend thats getting out the business. There IS good cows at the barn. Everyone sells for a reason some strictly cause they are getting out or just because its easiest least amount of bs involved to sell. There is alot of profit to be made off of sale barn cattle as well. I sure wish more felt all sale barn cattle are bad like some of yall so my net profits would increase.

Hey i'm not knocking sale barn cattle. That's how we started our herd back up a couple of years ago. When you buy any cattle really its hit or miss you never whats going to happen until they have that calf.

I agree that right now older bred cows looks like the way to go. Least risk, highest profit potential in this market for sure.

There are many reasons besides her own issues that a cow goes through a sale barn. As others have said, some people sell everything when it hits a certain age, no matter what condition they're in. Some people need money, or just need to cut back on numbers - we're still in drought conditions here in western OK (I know in other places, too), or maybe they lost a pasture lease. There can be any number of reasons.

If you're not comfortable buying for yourself at a sale barn, and don't know anyone that is, ask the barn's owner/manager for help. They often know something about the cattle's background and why they're selling - so it never hurts to ask. It's in their best interest to make satisfied customers who'll keep their business there and tell their friends and neighbors good things, so they're going to do their best to help you out.