Looking for a direction

Help Support CattleToday:

Cada22":3c7zfks8 said:
Son of Butch":3c7zfks8 said:
cow pollinater":3c7zfks8 said:
If it were me the first priority would be to knock some milk out of the mix to make them a little easier doing.
1/2 Holstein will provide plenty of frame and milk, so something short, wide and low, low milk.

What breed would I be looking at to accomplish that?

Ok, I'll bite.

I grew up with many, many cows of this cross, and while some held up and lived well into their teens, many washed out for udder quality as they aged. Just too much milk. However, they raised some awesome calves and gave us daughters that were keepers as well as steers that sold very well when crossed on Simmental.

One thing that has not been mentioned is you need to stay with homozygous polled bulls on these guys or you will have to knock off some horns. Not my favorite job.

If I was going to choose a bull to use on a group of Holstein/Angus is would look hard at Redhill Muskoka 71C.
http://alliedgeneticresources.com/semen_detail.php?bullid=222

Look at the catalog (page 40) for more detailed info https://www.redhillfarms.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/RHF-2016-Sale-Catalog-web.pdf

While unproven himself I am very familiar with his bloodlines top and bottom and would not hesitate to use him on heifers. With a 4.5 frame and that amount of meat you should get some nice calves and the Holstein will make up for the lack of milk.

I have not used him and have no skin in his game but this is something along the lines you should look for IMHO.

Son of Butch":16dmu3pw said:
DNA testing has shown that offspring will favor one grandparent over the other 3.
ie in a 4 way cross, Angus, Hereford, Charolais, Holstein the resulting gene mix can be something like a random mix of
35% 15% 28% 22% and not the previously thought 25, 25, 25, 25%
Each grandparent also has 4 grandparents, so It all results in making genetic predictions even more perplexing.

Been there.
So are there more dominate beef breeds in a 3 or 4 way crosses?

Latest posts