Diesel shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

Gasoline use in the US is 135 billion gallons per year. There are 120,000 BTU/gallon of gasoline. There are 3413 BTU's per kw-hr of electricity. Check my math, but I believe that comes out to about 4.75 trillion kw-hrs of electricity to equal the energy content of that gasoline. But, we need to look at efficiency of gasoline powered vehicles compared to electric powered. Gasoline powered vehicles run about 25% efficient (energy delivered to wheels as % of total available energy in that gallon of gas). Electric vehicles are about 75% efficient. So only need 1/3 the amount of energy for electric compared to gasoline. That 4.75 trillion kw-hrs then becomes 1.58 trillion kw-hrs every year.
Diesel use in the US is about 47 billion gallons per year with 137,000 BTU/gallon. About 1.9 trillion kw-hrs. Using the same efficiency values, maybe 630 billion kw-hrs per year of electricity to replace diesel vehicles.

Someone younger can check my math and values. My arthritic slide rule and brain do not work well this early in the morning.

Might need new electrical service to the farm to charge the tractors and trucks. That single phase 240 volt service from that pole mounted transformer may not be enough.
So we'd need to almost double our current electricity output, as the US currently produces 4.12 trillion kWh per year. A tall order. Not to mention writing off all our old fuel energy infrastructure as a loss. Need a transitional plan that benefits all. Not likely in this political environment.

Silver said The top pic is not a lithium mine. It is the Chuquicamata copper mine in Chile. These aren't copper they are lithium.

View attachment 22734
View attachment 22735
View attachment 22736
View attachment 22737
View attachment 22742
The first pic in your post is Palabora copper mine, South Africa.
Pic 2 is Talison Lithium mine, Western Australia
Pic 3 is Shenhua Group's Haerwusu coal mine, China
Pic 4 is Mir Mine, Russian (Siberia) diamond mine
Pic 5 is Bingham Canyon Mine, Utah. Gold, lead-silver

I do stand to be corrected on any of my above assertions. Please feel free to look into it yourself.

I do stand to be corrected on any of my above assertions. Please feel free to look into it yourself.
How did you work all that out Silver?

Ken

When I read something on this forum I do not know much about then I start trying to find out more about it. Like what is fuel oil and I came to this site I do know at one time in my area people bought coil oil for use in cooking stoves and heaters this would have been around 1930 or so. Never hear of coal any more.

Solution to climate change and environmental issues. Roll back the calendar a few hundred years. People live on a small farm, raise most of their food, barely heated small houses, transportation is walking, horses, mules. Energy use low - light from an oil lamp at night, light and heat from the sun during daylight, burn something for heat and cooking. No air conditioning or refrigeration. Stay close to home. Very little government. Some would embrace that way of life. Many would starve which would get the population down to help save the planet.
Otherwise, look for technology to allow an easier way of life and preservation of resources for the future generations. Main issue is too many people.
There's a book I'm reading right now, "The Last Pilgrims", that's set into the post-apocalyptic future, with people living like this. Honestly, a world with less "concrete" (i.e., that's "closer"), more people who know how to raise their own food, and closer families without technology/internet and a media that gets away with lies due (in part) to falsehoods getting past elders, directly reaching younger generations, would be a good thing. The book is really a good read.

Last edited:
So we'd need to almost double our current electricity output, as the US currently produces 4.12 trillion kWh per year. A tall order. Not to mention writing off all our old fuel energy infrastructure as a loss. Need a transitional plan that benefits all. Not likely in this political environment.
Gotta wonder if the transition we are going through, and going to be going through, is similar to the way the world suddenly went from actual horse power to mechanical horse power. People then had to adapt or die. Businesses changed or ceased to exist. My own father chased the last horse drawn fire engines down the street.

The only constant in life is change...

Not to be a facts Nazi... but Bingham Canyon is locally known, and probably more world known, as the Kennecott Copper Mine.

I deliver diesel fuel to coal mines 5 days a week. Pictures can't capture the actual look of the area that they are mining. Yes it's all reclaimed supposedly but it sure changes the area.
We drilled on land that had been mined. It was some of the prettiest stuff around. They put all the top soil back and planted it in native grasses. It was very nice.

We drilled on land that had been mined. It was some of the prettiest stuff around. They put all the top soil back and planted it in native grasses. It was very nice.
Here it is big hardwood timber. When about to mine they cut the best and burn the rest.
When finished mining they plant locust and pine usually. We have no market for either so over the years mother nature puts back what was there before. It will be over 100 years before any trees will be large enough to harvest.

I am not pro oil at all. In fact the opposite. We should have been on NG 50 years ago.

With that said, if you take the "damage" by o&g per unit of product or energy it will have the lowest ratio by far. The few things you hear about in the news are miniscule compared to the volume moved on a daily basis.

Here it is big hardwood timber. When about to mine they cut the best and burn the rest.
When finished mining they plant locust and pine usually. We have no market for either so over the years mother nature puts back what was there before. It will be over 100 years before any trees will be large enough to harvest.
Who owns the land?

Here it was mined on private land so the terms were agreed on by the land owner.

Bingham canyon mine may not be a lithium mine but is one of the few mines in the us that produces minerals for the "green" products.
It's highest volume produced is copper.
Electric vehicles use a much larger amount of copper then combustion engine vehicles. It also produces gold,molybdenum and one of the only places in the world,outside of China that mines tellurium. All are required in the production of " green energy" including electric vehicles and solar panels.

Bingham canyon mine may not be a lithium mine but is one of the few mines in the us that produces minerals for the "green" products.
It's highest volume produced is copper.
Electric vehicles use a much larger amount of copper then combustion engine vehicles. It also produces gold,molybdenum and one of the only places in the world,outside of China that mines tellurium. All are required in the production of " green energy" including electric vehicles and solar panels.
According to Google it is the worlds largest excavation, and has been in production for 116 years. So…. Long before "green energy" was a thing.

If it isn't grown it's mined

@kenny thomas ... Hey, I thought you had RETIRED so you could do a few more things you enjoyed..... what's this I work so many hours that I don't have time to read the newspaper stuff???? Like hauling/delivering a few trailers and working the auctions for the friends.....not working 8 days a week....

Latest posts