Did she slip a calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
This cow just weaned her first calf, 6 months old. She was exposed to the bull about 5 months ago. So she should have been a few months bred. just noticed it today and will get her preg checked in a couple weeks. She slipped one when she was first bred right after being preg checked.

Image002.jpg

Image005.jpg

Next time not so close with the pics it is around dinner time :roll: If you let her get bred her very first heat after calving then she probably had not had time to clean up and would then absorb or lose the calf because of a weak sack around the fertalized embryo and possible swelling and scar tissue.Now I didn't understand the next part was this two different cavings or the same one?So I will respond as I asume it is to mean.You are not letting her have that much needed first heat to clean off some cows need two heats to clean off and get that cervix back to a normal size after calving.Yes it looks like she did abort but was it her fault or yours?Need more info..
Syd

Syd Sydney":3cjv62mj said:
Next time not so close with the pics it is around dinner time :roll: If you let her get bred her very first heat after calving then she probably had not had time to clean up and would then absorb or lose the calf because of a weak sack around the fertalized embryo and possible swelling and scar tissue.Now I didn't understand the next part was this two different cavings or the same one?So I will respond as I asume it is to mean.You are not letting her have that much needed first heat to clean off some cows need two heats to clean off and get that cervix back to a normal size after calving.Yes it looks like she did abort but was it her fault or yours?Need more info..
Syd

Sorry for the graphics. OK, now that being said, She was checked during her first pregnancy at 4-5 months along. She aborted 3-4 weeks later. She was bred back about 6-8 wks. later, had a calf, 10-5-06, and just weaned it last week. She was exposed again on 11-4-06 after seen cycling. Now, she should've been with her actual 3rd pregnancy and we noticed her like this today.

So let me see if I got this right she calved Oct.5 2006 and got bred back Nov.4 2006.If that is true not enough clean up time you are pushing to a leval where she can't maintain a pregnancy it just isn't natural.So instead of halving stillborn or calves with birth defects Mother Nature aborts them.If what I have read is correct and the Vet says she is completely intact with two horns etc.Then I would say you are kinda of at fault and you really need to give your cows a break between calving and breeding.Do you think the average women wants to get pregnant after giving birtha month before.The only good thing that you know is that your feed and mineral program is dead on that they start cycling when they should after calving.JMO
I am sure others will have tonnns more to say hopefully as I don't want my opinion to be the only view you hear from.
Syd

Syd Sydney":3khkv1to said:
So let me see if I got this right she calved Oct.5 2006 and got bred back Nov.4 2006.If that is true not enough clean up time you are pushing to a leval where she can't maintain a pregnancy it just isn't natural.So instead of halving stillborn or calves with birth defects Mother Nature aborts them.If what I have read is correct and the Vet says she is completely intact with two horns etc.Then I would say you are kinda of at fault and you really need to give your cows a break between calving and breeding.Do you think the average women wants to get pregnant after giving birtha month before.The only good thing that you know is that your feed and mineral program is dead on that they start cycling when they should after calving.JMO
I am sure others will have tonnns more to say hopefully as I don't want my opinion to be the only view you hear from.
Syd

We allowed her to cycle once then turn here back in with the bull. Some people run them with the bull all the time, maybe it is wrong but the other cows have been doing good and our calving interval is right at one year average.

tom4018":1011vke4 said:
Syd Sydney":1011vke4 said:
Syd

We allowed her to cycle once then turn here back in with the bull. Some people run them with the bull all the time, maybe it is wrong but the other cows have been doing good and our calving interval is right at one year average.

Tom I run a bull year around as do a lot of other people thats not an issue. Have the cow tested for what I told you about this could be a trainwreck of abortions on the way.

They rebreed horses within 30 days of foaling.

Most animals will rebreed on the first full heat after birth. Nothing wrong with that, if the nutritional requirements are met. And, if it is too early, most animals will abort in first term, not second. If this cow was 4-5 months bred, something else caused the abortion. That's just my experience, and I'm not a vet, so take it for what's it is worth.

Latest posts