Did a nephew spill the Colonel's secret recipe (kfc)

Help Support CattleToday:

I am a pretty fair cook, but have never been able to fry chicken. Lost art, my Big Mamma (I'm not kidding that's what we called her) made the best fried chicken i have ever had. I sure wish now I would have paid attention to how she did it. She lived in Opp Alabama, rumor had it during probition she ran a distribution point for the local moonshiner. She was a card for sure.

Gizmom

We have a couple of KFC's that have buffets. Pretty decent most of the time.

I remember as a kid going to Grandparents on Sunday. My Mom came from a family of 10 kids. We always had fried chicken, green beans, good old fashioned mashed potatoes and chicken gravy. Those were the best days.

cbcr":hbexsqut said:
We have a couple of KFC's that have buffets. Pretty decent most of the time.

I remember as a kid going to Grandparents on Sunday. My Mom came from a family of 10 kids. We always had fried chicken, green beans, good old fashioned mashed potatoes and chicken gravy. Those were the best days.

Cherish those memories.

skyhightree1":1qayfijz said:
I love kfc its worth a try
Me too.

I worked there for a couple of years when I was a kid. The original is the way it is mostly by cooking it in a pressure cooker.

I used to cook gizzards in the pressure cooker. The way you know you got them right is if each gizzard pops when you take them out. Each one has two little pops which will pop hot grease on you if you aren't careful. I'm not sure they even sell gizzards any longer. Livers will keep in the warmer. Gizzards turn to rubber after a couple of hours sitting.

I don't know when places starting selling spicy chicken, but I am going to claim I invented it. We sold jalapenos out of a big jar at KFC. I used that juice instead of the water in the dip. Very good. The manager wanted to sell it, but they had restriction on what they could sell. Had to be approved by corporate.

I have probably ate more fried chicken than any man alive. I ate it every day for about two years and I still like it.

slick4591":1kofs92c said:
Jogeephus":1kofs92c said:
Anyone ever see a KFC buffet? There is one about 20 miles from me. Pretty good place.

Yup. Have eaten off several. My streak ended in Arkansas when they couldn't keep up when they were in really deep weeds.

The KFC buffet was started in my hometown or,, :roll: so I'm told.

I have never seen a kfc buffet, but there are not many kfc's out here and it's hit or miss on quality. The only one in my area shares the restaurant with an A&W.

Jo and sky or anyone else let us know how the recipe turned out. I'l be giving it a try myself when the weather cools down.

TennesseeTuxedo":2vng9lum said:
True Grit Farms":2vng9lum said:
I'll have to take y'alls word on KFC. It's been 40+ years since I ate KFC chicken.

You more of a Happy Meal kinda guy?

We eat out very rarely and a fast food joint isn't my idea of eating out. McDonald's has good coffee though.
I like the kill it and grill it approach myself.

Alan":2ft8se6r said:
I have never seen a kfc buffet, but there are not many kfc's out here and it's hit or miss on quality. The only one in my area shares the restaurant with an A&W.

Jo and sky or anyone else let us know how the recipe turned out. I'l be giving it a try myself when the weather cools down.

I sent the recipe to my son in Chattanooga who is quite the amateur chef for him to try out. I'll let you know what the results are.