DIARREA IN BLACK ANGUS COWS

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3qwi8fus said:
What is it eating and how much? What does the vet say?

Agreed on both. Also, have you checked her temp. What does "bad" mean - what does it actually look like?

We ivomec herd in fall time. I guess she used to eat around 30 pounds a day of alfalfa/broom mix. Lost some of her appetite, might be down to 20pounds/day. Diarrea is brown tinge water.

We ivomec in fall time. I guess she used to eat about 30 pounds a day of alfalfa/broom mix.Might be down to 20 pounds per day. Diarrea is watery with brown tinge. Haven"t seen any blood in diarrea.

In the past for me, brown tinged water was coccidiosis - easy to deal with but needs to be confirmed by a vet. Get them a stool sample and have them look for other parasites as well.

Need to use Ivomec+ to make sure you are getting liver flukes. Ivomec doesn't cover liver flukes.
Also once a year is not enough in most area's as the cows are only getting protected for 21 to 28 days.

Have you had the vet out to check her?Is the cow loosing body condition?Do you run a closed herd?If you haven't changed anything about there daily feed,she might have Johne's Disease.If i was you,i would have already phoned the vet.

Coccidiosis was my first thought, but usually in younger animals that aren't immune. Or maybe she got a big dose of the bugs.

Is she fed on wet ground? Coccidiosis is passed in the manure and gets on the ground - survives best on wet ground. If feeding directly on wet ground, easy to ingest. That was my introduction to the illness - after snow melted, kept feeding on the ground and they were squirting watery diarrhea a few weeks later. Too late at that point to treat, but can put stuff in the water of other animals to hopefully prevent them from getting sick.

The brown tinge could be blood diluted in all the water.

As others said, get a vet, or at least get samples of the fluid to vet, if you can catch it.