Deworming question

Help Support CattleToday:

If you have never used it, never bought any cattle in the past decade, and haven't grazed your cattle with other peoples, there may not be as much of a resistance issue. I think you would be hard pressed to find a herd that hasn't used ivermectin and has a completely closed herd. Buying resistant parasites is an issue most people don't give a lot of thought to.

I used long range last spring. Expensive up front but after saving on flying spray and maybe on pinkeye treatment along with better condition I consider it well worth it

the guy that used too manage the herd for Missouri figured it out after a few years. said he would have 3-5 cows each year that would look wormy & would worm the whole herd b/c of those. finally decided to just sell those cows & kept cows that would build immunity to the worms & have no problems. only wormer I use on my cows is cheap stuff to kill flies. calves are a different story as it takes two years to build immunity. but if you worm them too often they will not build immunity

I was reading this topic last night and thought I better worm my cattle. I went to TSC today and bought Safeguard alfalfa pellets, mixed it with their sweet feed like the direction said to do. None of them would touch the stuff. Anyone have any ideas on how to get them to eat the med? One more question.....will I notice a change in their manure if the med works?

Hook":1cgy6one said:
Year round here. Flies too. We just yesterday had our second frost. Not a single freeze yet. He77 we even have mosquitoes flyin still. This winter is unusual though. Wetter and warmer than normal. My hay cost is down compared to last year.

I hear that wetter and warmer has made for a really good crawfish season.

Kingfisher":19s5xa5a said:
Hook":19s5xa5a said:
Year round here. Flies too. We just yesterday had our second frost. Not a single freeze yet. He77 we even have mosquitoes flyin still. This winter is unusual though. Wetter and warmer than normal. My hay cost is down compared to last year.

I hear that wetter and warmer has made for a really good crawfish season.
There's been more than usual in our creek.

We have certain herds that we have put safeguard in the mollasses, fed safeguard cubes and it has certainly helped.

As far as the long range we used it on 45,000 calves last year and had record weaning weights across the ranch. 610 pounds compared to a 560 average. This year we are doing every cow and calf at marking and branding. No doubt that it's exp, but I guarantee it'll make you money.

Latest posts