Deworming question

Help Support CattleToday:

Long Range is an injectable wormer that can be used on cows or calves, it is a similar compound to dectomax and cydectin. It lasts roughly 80-120 days, depending on the parasite, and is reported to be fairly effective against flies as well, though that isn't a big deal right now. It is fairly pricey and cows generally don't have the internal parasite burden to justify it, it's probably best suited in replacement heifers and stocker cattle.

I would use Cydectin on them. Doesn't matter if you use the pour or injectable formulation, pour is supposed to be slightly better but either would be fine. If you use the injectable, you can pour them with a generic ivermectin (like noromectin) for lice, if that is an issue for you. A single treatment of Cydectin would probably be sufficient, especially in cows, but fighting parasites is a little trickier in Florida than most places so you would do well to contact a local vet.

Hook my vet emailed back and said Ivomectin plus injectable for winter. However, that is for here. (I am guessing you have reason to believe that you "have resistance to Ivomec"?)
He also stated that Safegaurd paste/drench to be a good rotational wormer. And recommended for us, (having flood irrigation contaminating the soil) to worm every 3 months. However every 6 mos. has worked just fine for me with my cows. I usually do calves more frequently.

do you check yourows for worms..or just do it preventative. ive ad mine checked and dont have em..no liver flukes either. i worm usually in jan once a yr.

everything that gets butchered gets checked throughout

I sent in a fecal from one that is doing poorly and it came back loaded. She is bred back and with prices being so high I figured it worth a shot to find out why. There are a couple others I suspect are wormy too.

Hook":h05yh4zt said:
I sent in a fecal from one that is doing poorly and it came back loaded. She is bred back and with prices being so high I figured it worth a shot to find out why. There are a couple others I suspect are wormy too.
Good move, just like soil testing, without testing them you are just spending money that may not need to be spent. And it is so easy to get a sample there is no reason not to.
Off topic a little but with your weather in the south do you have worm problem in the winter as well as in the summer?

Year round here. Flies too. We just yesterday had our second frost. Not a single freeze yet. He77 we even have mosquitoes flyin still. This winter is unusual though. Wetter and warmer than normal. My hay cost is down compared to last year.

Hook":3hmvraj7 said:
Vet said that it is a good idea to do a fecal about 90 days after worming.

Hook":7yxswd3f said:
Year round here. Flies too. We just yesterday had our second frost. Not a single freeze yet. He77 we even have mosquitoes flyin still. This winter is unusual though. Wetter and warmer than normal. My hay cost is down compared to last year.
You sound like us here. Still Mosquitos and flys!

Could you run the cattle through once using a drench and then in 2 weeks put out Safeguard blocks? We also have liverfluke issues so use Valbazen as a drench. Our cows love the blocks and have no problem getting at least their daily dosages.
Aprille

From time to time in between working cows, we put the liquid wormer in a gallon sprayer and spray the cows or calves if we think they need worming. As long as the wind isn't blowing 100 and your cows are pretty tame put out a bag of feed and spray the ones you need to spray. You may not get the full dose on em or you may get more but its better then not doing nothing in my opinion. It also helps keep the flys away. It is really a very good way of hitting a few cows quickly without having to get the whole herd up.

On another note, all we use is the liquid wormer on our cows and they are in great shape. I mention using Ivomec from time to time but we are having such good success with the liquid we havent used Ivomec since we got back in the cow business big time in 2012.

Ivermectin is cheaper and has significant resistance issues with internal parasites, its not a very viable option for those parasites.

Quigly":2sn7cscw said:
Ivermectin is cheaper and has significant resistance issues with internal parasites, its not a very viable option for those parasites.
If you've never used it there should be no resistance. Minimal at most.

Latest posts