Deworming question

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Is it possible to mix a drench wormer into liquid feed? I'd like to inject them twice in a couple weeks time frame to catch the full life cycle but they won't have any of that. They are using about 30 gallons of liquid a week, so I could let it get down to the last 30 and mix it in.
Any ideas?

tsc has worming blocks...hard to say how good they work but I have used em. I go different routes all the time. drench/inj/block..whatever I can get a deal on or can do easiest..figure the process aint the difference.

hard to say doseage if ya mix it in the water/molasses. ive tried that worming dogs and they just turn up their noses

I seem to recall that it takes quite abit of the safeguard to over dose them. I accidentally gave a 300lb calf in the fall enough for a 1200lb cow. It didn't hurt him. You could doudle dose using worm pellets in the feed. Its not a economical way to do it but it should get them all. :2cents:

I really think a "worming block" is going to be like a mineral block. They can't lick it enough to get a proper dose. Anything other than direct administration is going to be questionable and a waste of money in my opinion.
Why do you need to "repeat" their worming if you do injectable or tube/drench at the specified times?

Hook":2j40flf6 said:
Branguscowgirl, all that does is get the adult worms. It doesn't get the eggs and when they hatch you're back to square one.
If you use Cydectin it gets all the worms that develop for 21 days. That should cover 98% of the worms.

Hook":484g4463 said:
What about that "long range" stuff?
I've heard it works pretty well but is pricey
I think long range is for calves but not cows. It also has to have a vet to get it.
Use Cydectin injectable and forget about it. They will do great.

Hook":2mgtt2yy said:
Branguscowgirl, all that does is get the adult worms. It doesn't get the eggs and when they hatch you're back to square one.
I agree with Kenny. Read your labels, some will take care of different stages.

From what I understand, they will never be worm free. We are just practicing population control to keep numbers down to a harmless level.

I just emailed my vet. I will let you know what his opinion is.
I do know that he has me tube and give injectable Ivomectin at double dose all at the same time.

Hook":3m0kb526 said:
Let me know bcg thanks. Right now it sounds like I need to switch away from ivermectin and look into the cydectin
What ever you use make sure it is injectable and the good stuff not the generic.

The safeguard feed pellets you mix with some feed works good if you just have to get something to them fast and can't work them.
You can't overdose on wormer either, my vet has had us do a double dose for several days in a row on certain cattle.

BobbyLummus1":34odkfg1 said:
Anybody use Noromectin ? eBay item number:191466390632

I think that is one of the generic wormer. It only gets the worms that are ready to kill that day. No residual on the ones that are ready tomorrow or next week. Also in their pour on it is water based not oil based and will wash off with the first rain.

Latest posts