Deworming calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Personally, I have never wormed calves while still on the cow. First thing they get at weaning though. I'm changing my stance on that. The second round of shots, will include ivomec---------waste or money well spent?

Well spent in my opinion. I use a generic ivermectin injection at first work and again at weaning. Maybe not necessary but some of the local vets think it is. Each farm is probably different but it don't cost much so why not?

Bigfoot":1qmrkyxp said:
Personally, I have never wormed calves while still on the cow. First thing they get at weaning though. I'm changing my stance on that. The second round of shots, will include ivomec---------waste or money well spent?
I used to like the generic ivermectin til I had a fecal sample done on some calves. 60 days after shot they had 2-3 times the worm load they could handle. Vet recommended cydectin injectable for short term and long range for long term.

In years past I inject Cydectin and pour on a cheap generic at first working and then use a drench and a generic pour on at weaning. I will be trying Long Range in the spring on my calves though. Vet and our local Extension agent both highly recommend it for spring worming.

How many of you give shots pre-weaning as apposed to at weaning? I have been debating whether I should work them a couple weeks before I wean to build their immunity.

At first workup we use Valbazen oral. We also give pinkeye and black leg at first workup, calves will be from a couple of weeks to a month and a half or so. After that we turn them all out to pasture.

midTN_Brangusman":1o4txjqa said:
How many of you give shots pre-weaning as apposed to at weaning? I have been debating whether I should work them a couple weeks before I wean to build their immunity.

I give the first round of shots at around 3 months old. Second round at weaning.

Bigfoot,
Several papers and trials I've seen recently put a combination treatment of oral oxfendazole(Synanthic) and injectible Cydectin right up there as being as effective, with regard to weight gains, etc. as LongRange... for less than half the cost.
It's what I'm doing on my weaners and first-calf heifers now.

By all means, spend the extra few cents to use the 'name-brand' products... it'll pay $$$ in the long run... what good does it do if you save a few cents... but the stuff doesn't kill the worms? I've seen too many studies showing that the generics - even though they may meet the stated chemical analysis - do not perform like the 'pioneer' product.

As stated numerous times before, I'm not a fan of the 'pour-ons'... evidence is strong that they don't work as well as advertised, and most of what gets to where it needs to be to kill worms gets there from ingestion - cattle licking themselves & herdmates...if it runs off on the ground or gets washed off... it ain't gonna kill any worms.

J&D - we try to vacc 'em before weaning, but the past couple of seasons, it's ended up that they get a dose of Inforce-3 and One-shot BVD when the quiet-wean nose blabs go in, then a booster of Bovi-Shield Gold 5, 10-14 days later when we pull the blabs and separate 'em from the cows. Newer info is now suggesting - at least for BRD prevention in stocker calves, that a booster with second dose of Inforce-3 is probably better than Bovi-Shield Gold, and sets 'em back less... and that's what we did this go-round.

Valbazen and Cydectin are both very good products, and I have had great success using both on beef calves at weaning.

Luckiamute":2a2xutpt said:
Valbazen and Cydectin are both very good products, and I have had great success using both on beef calves at weaning.
Cydectin injectable is what we use at weaning in the fall, Valbazen drench is used in the spring. That has been our protocal for the past 15 years and it seems to work well for us

Steve, yes. We gave a booster of Inforce 3 two weeks after nose-blab placement. Recent info presented at food-animal veterinarian meeting suggested that two doses of intranasal provide better protection against BRD with less 'set-back' than the injectible mlv products. Of course, if you're looking to prime retained heifers for fetal protection, this is probably not the best way to go...I'd probably still be recommending two rounds of an injectible mlv product for the girls.

Dun, the oxfendazole(or other benzimidazole dewormer) and moxidectin(or other macrocyclic lactone) combination takes advantage of the fact that the two classes of dewormers have better efficacy against some worm species than others. For example, Nematodirus populations are largely resistant to the benzimidazoles(white, oral dewormers); Cooperia populations have largely developed resistance to the MLs(ivomec,cydectin, etc.) Using the two in combination gets close to 99.9% of them all.

Latest posts