Detuz Fahr drum mower

Help Support CattleToday:

Redman

Reaction score
I got this new to me mower, on the top of the drums on top of the drum there is a cover like a 5 gallon paint can lid cover, that is rusted through with holes the size of a dime. Is this bad?? Also, It may be frozen the shaft doesn't want to turn by hand, but it is in the travel position and i haven't tried in the cut position yet. I will keep you updated, thanks for the help.

Put it in the cut position was able to free it up. Checked the oil and ran it a little while. Doesn't cut well because most of the blades are gone. Makes an intermittent clanking sound. Just want to know if the holes are a big deal or not before I make other repairs. By the way when you turn the PTO off it still turns for another three or four mintues due to momentum, much longer than the old disk mower.

Not sure if the holes are an issue or not. Depends if they will catch crop, or if the will let drit into the gears.

Most drum mowers I have used do not turn when in transport, and yes the momntum in the drums will take maybe a few of minutes to stop.

The clanking could be the overrun clutch, or the breakback, or a stone/broken blade in a drum.

Your drum mower is much more simple with a lot less to go wrong than a disc mower.

Latest posts