Destroying property

Help Support CattleToday:

If they still hung people in public on the town square on Saturday mornings. There would be a lot less problems in the world. Not only the fear factor but would help with the reproducing population also. I have never had a problem but it is always on my mind. I leave thousands of dollars of eqt. over night on leased farms more than I like. No way around it. I saw on another forum where a guy had ground worked ready to plant bunch of kids go 4 wheeling all it rut it up. People are stupid!

Ol' 243":2mjahody said:
Hard to say why someone vandalizes, there could be another part of the story that you don't know, or it could just be random stupidity.

I'll tell a little story that I heard about, there was a fella who had taken his brother and 10 year old nephew deer hunting, it was the 10 year olds first hunt and he shot a real nice 8 pointer. The deer ran about 150 yards and piled up in the neighbors hay field. The three of them loaded up in the truck and drove to the neighbors house to gain permission to retrieve the deer. The neighbor was rude as h*ll and refused to let them on his property, they explained to him that it was the young mans first deer, he said he didn't give a sheit who's it was, it was his now. Would you believe that somehow that mans hay barn caught on fire the next night and burnt to the ground, with his new JD tractor and all his bailing equipment in it. Sometimes "lightning" knows exactly where to strike.

Might have been rude, but still didn't deserve to have his barn burned down.

I have to be honest, I'm just leary of letting people come around that I don't know. Many years ago when my daughter was a baby, we had trouble getting her to sleep. She finally dozed off, and we had her in the living room. Suddenly, a hunting dog comes on our porch and starts howling and carrying on. Needles to say, it awoke my daughter, who seemed in a worse mood than before, and i wasn't happy.

I went out and ran him off the porch, but he just wanted to hang around the garage and keep howling. So, I went out, fired a couple of shots, and it scared him off. What do you know, within a few minutes, a truck pulls up in my drive and says he heard shots and was worried about his dog. He was hunting on the adjoining property and his dog wandered too far off. When I told him what happened, he acted as though he didn't believe me about him being on the porch; he acted as though that wasn't in his dogs nature. He wanted to know if he could drive back on my property to look for his dog. I told him no. The direction he headed, I told him he could go back out on the main road and probably find him. He didn't seem to like it, but I really didn't care.

I didn't know this guy, and the fact that he acted as though nothing I said was true rubbed me wrong too. He also acted like it was weird that I would fire shots to run the dog off, but again, I really didn't care what he thought. I'll fire a gun on my own property anytime I please.

It causes concern for me too sometimes, when folks I don't know come around wanting to hunt or fish. On one hand it is good that they are asking instead of just going ahead. It is not my intention to offend anybody, but I feel it isn't a good idea to start allowing folks I don't know to have access to our property. Have lost a 5 month old calf years ago, and a bred heifer, about 5 years ago to "accidental shots", from presumably adjoining properties. Some folks seem to be offended when I tell them the truth that I would rather not have hunters on the property. I have made exceptions for a really good neighbor, that I know and trust. Have had a couple folks become agitated and argue, after being told that there are no fish in my ponds.

Ky hills":1qm1jcrt said:
It causes concern for me too sometimes, when folks I don't know come around wanting to hunt or fish. On one hand it is good that they are asking instead of just going ahead. It is not my intention to offend anybody, but I feel it isn't a good idea to start allowing folks I don't know to have access to our property. Have lost a 5 month old calf years ago, and a bred heifer, about 5 years ago to "accidental shots", from presumably adjoining properties. Some folks seem to be offended when I tell them the truth that I would rather not have hunters on the property. I have made exceptions for a really good neighbor, that I know and trust. Have had a couple folks become agitated and argue, after being told that there are no fish in my ponds.

I allow hunting for my cousin and a friend; each have been doing so for many years, and that's it; they act like they have some sense; i can trust them. For everyone else, the answer is no.

It's quite annoying when someone acts as though they have a right to hunt or fish on our land, and they act irritated if they are not allowed. Do they actually think acting irritated is going to convince me to allow it?

herofan":2i8bh4rb said:
Ky hills":2i8bh4rb said:

I allow hunting for my cousin and a friend; each have been doing so for many years, and that's it; they act like they have some sense; i can trust them. For everyone else, the answer is no.

It's quite annoying when someone acts as though they have a right to hunt or fish on our land, and they act irritated if they are not allowed. Do they actually think acting irritated is going to convince me to allow it?

I have seen a few people get down right mad, I figure those same folks would throw a fit if somebody asked to park in, or use their yard for something.

Bigfoot":1qrsvuhn said:
Didn't happen to me, but happened locally. Some idiot, just blatantly tears up several dollars worth of farm equipment. I would never steal, but I can understand the concept. You steal something, and use it. Maybe you steal something and sell it. You then take the money, and buy something you can use. Wrong in both instances, but atleast I see the logic. I just can't understand tearing something up. Nobody wins, it's just pure ignorance.

im sure I've had something vandalized in my life, but nothing comes to mind. Takes a special kind of turd to just tear something up. Punishment should be making a pile of all their personal possessions, and making them set them on fire.

Sometimes I wonder if the insurance papers get to rubbing together as well.
Guy down the road seemed to have that problem about repo time.

Ryder":dwz4bgl6 said:
True Grit Farms":dwz4bgl6 said:
They need to get caned, or bull wiped.
I have advocated that before. But not many seem to agree with me.

Let the record show that I agree with you both. "I hate rude behavior in a man. Won't tolerate it."- Capt Woodrow Call

Latest posts