Descending 2nd

Help Support CattleToday:

QUOTE:"Both parties put too much effort in 'fear mongering' than doing what they were elected to do." I tend believe many ARE doing exactly what the people elected them to do. That is to send as much pork as possible to as many of their constituents as possible, no matter the cost to anyone else, and also ensure their own re-election.

HDRider":1xl4gop2 said:
By any measure, there is more discussion about a complete rewrite of the 2nd amendment, to the point we will
look like Canada or Australia.

We are not the same country we were 50 years ago.
A very condescending attitude towards two very fine countries with many excellent qualities and people.

No we are not the same country we were in 1968 the year when 16,592 Americans were killed in Vietnam.
In 1968 we were not the same country we were in 1918 when income tax was established.
In 1918 we were not the same country we were in 1868 when healing from the civil war.
In 1868 we were not the same country we were in 1818 when slavery was the law of the land.

Change is the one constant in life that is guaranteed.
An amendment by definition means to change.
After all they are the amendments, not the commandments.

Bestoutwest":1d3yvv1k said:
callmefence":1d3yvv1k said:
Hopefully they do rewrite the second.
To where every able minded adult is required by law to be capable of defending themselves and others at all times.

This is a slippery slope, and will be the lynch pin in a scenario like this. What constitutes "able minded?" Just like the wording of "cruel and unusual punishment" is the most debatable wording in the 8th amendment, this would leave too much room for interpretation. You could suggest any mental illness would revoke the right, but what constitutes a mental illness? Would this INCREASE violence b/c those with mental illness are now going without help to avoid losing their weapons? Would that be constitutional to those in society that have mental illness but are harmless to others and themselves?

It is my personal opinion that we will see government sponsored execution (sorry Grit) removed as being unconstitutional before owning guns is declared constitutional. I can guarantee that there are too many gun loving states that will reject any ratification to the constitution, Idaho among them.
How about a criminal record involving violent crime? That may not be enough, but it would be a start..
How about an age requirement? I mean if kids are shooting in schools, that might be something...
There's no one solution to it all, but if some small steps can be taken here or there I think everyone would be better off

Son of Butch":2y2n61b3 said:
HDRider":2y2n61b3 said:
By any measure, there is more discussion about a complete rewrite of the 2nd amendment, to the point we will

We are not the same country we were 50 years ago.
A very condescending attitude towards two very fine countries with many excellent qualities and people.

No we are not the same country we were in 1968 the year when 16,592 Americans were killed in Vietnam.
In 1968 we were not the same country we were in 1918 when income tax was established.
In 1918 we were not the same country we were in 1868 when healing from the civil war.
In 1868 we were not the same country we were in 1818 when slavery was the law of the land.

Change is the one constant in life that is guaranteed.
An amendment by definition means to change.
After all they are the amendments, not the commandments.
You seem to have a talent for finding an insult where there is none.

HDRider":wd2vnntf said:
Son of Butch":wd2vnntf said:
HDRider":wd2vnntf said:

IF not an insult then what's the matter with looking like Canada or Australia?

IMO China or Venezuela then concern would be appropriate.

Nesikep" said:
How about a criminal record involving violent crime? That may not be enough, but it would be a start..
How about an age requirement? I mean if kids are shooting in schools, that might be something...
There's no one solution to it all, but if some small steps can be taken here or there I think everyone would be better off

I believe those are already in place. I truly believe this isn't a gun problem, but a people problem. However, the guns are an easy target as they are the obvious link to all the tragedies.

What really needs to happen is the politicians need to stop praying and thinking about the victims and actually try and figure out some sort of solution to try and slow this down.

Son of Butch":3oz66jvc said:
HDRider":3oz66jvc said:
Son of Butch":3oz66jvc said:

If I have to explain you would not understand.

HDRider":2iforz4h said:
Son of Butch":2iforz4h said:

If I have to explain you would not understand.
I'll spell it out for you Butch, this is the US of A and i have family that died fighting for my freedom to protect myself and my family.

No I'll spell it out for you T.G.
Canada and Australia have historically been some of our most reliable allies in helping to protect Your family.
To refuse to defend a friend from disrespect as though they were some shxthxlx country is beyond deplorable.

p.s.
My uncle was a Captain in the Australian army and spent 18 months as a p.o.w. in a Japanese prison camp
located in China during WWII.

What the heck doe's that have to do with our Constitution and Bill of Rights? Those two countries are anti gun and nothing compared to the US of A. Nothing personal Ken.
By the way they also have open boarders.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/17/gop-don ... times.html

A prominent GOP campaign donor has issued an ultimatum to Republican leaders: Introduce gun control legislation, or lose his support, the New York Times reported on Saturday.

Al Hoffman Jr., a leading donor to former President George W. Bush and Congressional Republicans, has vowed to halt all donations to the party unless leaders pass legislation to restrict access to guns and ban assault weapons, the publication said.

HDRider":i5wgmj3j said:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/17/gop-donor-issues-an-ultimatum-on-guns-nytimes.html

A prominent GOP campaign donor has issued an ultimatum to Republican leaders: Introduce gun control legislation, or lose his support, the New York Times reported on Saturday.

Al Hoffman Jr., a leading donor to former President George W. Bush and Congressional Republicans, has vowed to halt all donations to the party unless leaders pass legislation to restrict access to guns and ban assault weapons, the publication said.

HD:

I think stricter gun control regulations are coming. I have no good news for you on that.

It won't come as a repeal of the 2nd Amendment or reinterpretation of the 2nd Amendment by the supreme court.

The precedent is already firmly in place for regulating firearms. In fact, the ATF already is in place to administer new regulations. However, despite this coming from the Republican side, I don't think it is possible to pass until Democrats have more control.

I think state rights are going to play a major part in gun control. Montana has already proven that you have gun rights as a citizen of that state. I think a few states will succeed from the union over gun control.

True Grit Farms":1d1vmqmo said:
I think state rights are going to play a major part in gun control. Montana has already proven that you have gun rights as a citizen of that state. I think a few states will succeed from the union over gun control.

No offense Vince but IMO this falls in the category of "fear mongering". States are not going to secede over banning assault rifles. Maybe over a complete ban of firearms but not over restrictions.

Bright Raven":15mnwcx1 said:
True Grit Farms":15mnwcx1 said:

No offense Vince but IMO this falls in the category of "fear mongering". States are not going to secede over banning assault rifles. Maybe over a complete ban of firearms but not over restrictions.
The Lawyers and Politicians hope it plays out that way, I personally can't see everyone giving up their 2nd Amendment rights, and a few others that go hand in hand with gun ownership. That's a dumb statement in bold, isn't any gun an assault weapon if it's used to assault someone? The gun doesn't even need to be loaded to assault someone with it.

True Grit Farms":9e53i4is said:
Bright Raven":9e53i4is said:
True Grit Farms":9e53i4is said:

The Lawyers and Politicians hope it plays out that way, I personally can't see everyone giving up their 2nd Amendment rights, and a few others that go hand in hand with gun ownership. That's a dumb statement in bold, isn't any gun an assault weapon if it's used to assault someone? The gun doesn't even need to be loaded to assault someone with it.

Obviously, it goes without saying, a proper definition of gun control would be needed but that is not my point. You are dragging this out into the weeds.

I was responding to the link provided by HD suggesting that a Republican who is a noteworthy fund raiser for the party is demanding stricter gun control regulations. My point is that stricter gun control laws is not going to cause states to secede.

Bright Raven":3ish7e5b said:
True Grit Farms":3ish7e5b said:
Bright Raven":3ish7e5b said:

Obviously, it goes without saying, a proper definition of gun control would be needed but that is not my point. You are dragging this out into the weeds.

I was responding to the link provided by HD suggesting that a Republican who is a noteworthy fund raiser for the party is demanding stricter gun control regulations. My point is that stricter gun control laws is not going to cause states to secede.
There all politicians but hopefully the Republican party will say screw you we don't need your $money. The conservative side of the Republican party thinks that way, otherwise we're no better than the liberals and dumocrats.

True Grit Farms":uxjvrtgr said:
There all politicians but hopefully the Republican party will say screw you we don't need your $money. The conservative side of the Republican party thinks that way, otherwise we're no better than the liberals and dumocrats.

I can save you the time wondering about that!!

They are all cut from the same fabric. You can put a 100 labels on them but at the end of the day, they are all the same.

Bright Raven":2akav640 said:
True Grit Farms":2akav640 said:

They are all cut from the same fabric. You can put a 100 labels on them but at the end of the day, they are all the same.

I have faith that all politicians are not the same, the same can be said for people. There's a lot of folks and politicians included that are trying to live according to their beliefs. Granted some politicians will do anything for a dollar just like people, but not all will just like people. If nothing else I have faith that we can win.

True Grit Farms":3n4y4mah said:
Bright Raven":3n4y4mah said:
True Grit Farms":3n4y4mah said:

I have faith that all politicians are not the same, the same can be said for people. There's a lot of folks and politicians included that are trying to live according to their beliefs. Granted some politicians will do anything for a dollar just like people, but not all will just like people. If nothing else I have faith that we can win.

I know you cannot see it or understand it, but I am a traditional conservative. Not the whinning snowflake conservatives that dominate this forum. A true conservative has values not based on what is good for me, but what is good for the Republic. I am able to objectively look at the last 50 years of Repubican doctrine and say that it has failed. You are so "party blind", you cannot do that.

Latest posts