2nd Bomber in Custody

Help Support CattleToday:

This goes to what Bez said earlier:

BOSTON – Millions of residents of the Boston metropolitan area were ordered to stay on "lockdown" on Friday as police and the FBI hunted down the second of the Boston Marathon bombers.

I was among them and for most of the day, my family and I stayed inside our home behind locked doors, watching the news and following the Twitter feed. On Friday night, Boston synagogues even cancelled Shabbat services and one local Orthodox rabbi permitted his members to leave a radio on over the weekend for updates.

When I eventually ventured outside, the eerie silence on Boston and Cambridge's empty streets was something strange. It was midday and all of the stores were closed, including supermarkets, the neighborhood Starbucks and even gas stations.

With time on my hands as I walked the empty streets, I had the opportunity to think back to the aftermath of terrorist attacks I had covered in Israel before leaving for a sabbatical at Harvard University.

I might be wrong, but my feeling is that in the aftermath of those attacks the opposite always happened.

There was no lockdown in Israel and there was no order by the mayor to seek shelter.

Instead, people were out in the streets, filling up coffee shops right next to the one that had been bombed or standing at bus stops waiting for the next bus from the same line that had just exploded. This has always impressed me as a sign of true resilience, of a refusal to allow terrorism to change our way of life.

I am not judging the people of Boston and their leaders and yes, there is something to be said about being safe rather than sorry. But, I wonder about the long-term strategic ramifications and if this won't be viewed as a near-surrender to terrorism.

Yes, on Friday there was a 19-year-old terrorist on the loose, but did that mean that nearly 5 million people needed to stay locked inside their homes? Did it warrant the complete suspension of public transportation, of taxis, of Amtrak trains between Boston and the rest of the East Coast? The postponement of the Red Sox-Royals game, the Bruins-Penguins game? I'm not sure.

Also, it was strange when considering that from Monday – when the bombings took place – until Friday, there were two terrorists on the loose and there was no consideration of a lockdown.

Now, with one terrorist still free there is a lockdown? Shouldn't the opposite have happened? But even ignoring the operational considerations, there is symbolism when one of the US's largest cities paralyzes itself in face of terrorism.

Is this the message the US wants to send around the world: That a single terrorist can disrupt so many lives and possibly more important – the American way of life? I'm also not sure.

The writer is The Jerusalem Post's military affairs reporter and currently on sabbatical in Boston.

Well....y'all can count me in as another one of those that agrees with Bez, Caustic and VanC on this issue.

Frankly, I'd rather fight in someone else's yard than mine. I'd prefer for my home turf to remain a safe zone. I don't want the war at my back door.

Katherine

Bigfoot":3sb9xasg said:
Everybody would deal with things differently. I'm the least informed person in America. I haven't watched or read anything on it.
Neither has anybody else posting on this thread.

Evidently, the terms "Unalienable", "Liberty" and the phrase "the pursuit of happiness" has different meanings to some people than they do to me.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

greybeard":20fye37x said:
Evidently, the terms "Unalienable", "Liberty" and the phrase "the pursuit of happiness" has different meanings to some people than they do to me.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin
Old Ben must have been a pretty smart fellow.
Smarter than some today-and that's a fact.

TexasBred":1g9b6lwu said:
Caustic Burno":1g9b6lwu said:
greybeard":1g9b6lwu said:
History and cemeteries are full of people who waited for the fight to come to their homes. Hunkering down at home means That fight doesn't just come to you--it also comes to your wives, daughters and sons and grandkids. It's a good thing Mr. Henneberry decided to get out and check on his boat instead of hiding under his bed like a little girl--the #2 suspect might still be on the loose otherwise.
I'm with Bez. Got trouble? Meet it at least 1/2 way.

I agree GB I am with Bez as well.
What I saw was a SS Gestapo style tatic's in the search. Looked like the old movies of the Strom troopers searching house by house for the jew . Freedom comes with a price and hunkering down in fear or being herded like sheep didn't earn it or buy it. I wanted the guy caught and punished but not at the price of my liberties.
The guy was caught CB and caught by the right people. You and I out there with our pop gun would have done nothing more than flush him so he runs and gets away again.In this case, being wounded, he wouldn't have gotten far probably. Yes our freedom was purchased with a price. No need to be nice it off out by acting stupid. Sometimes it's best to give in the short run in order to receive in the long run. Stay put and let the professionals handle the situation. As much as we think we are "bad" we are not qualified and certainly wouldn't be much assistance to a police force. Now if he comes into the house that is different. Blow his ass away. At 67 years old I'm certainly no Rambo even tho my mind wants to think I'm still 18. He77 I don't even think as fast as I use to, let alone react. I'd be more qualified trying to fly Bez's fighter jet. At least I can fly a Cessna.

I don't know that I agree with that. I'm not saying how I would do in such a situation, but I apparently have more confidence in the people of this nation. My grandad always said that in WWII, the boys from the farms that were familiar with guns were the ones you wanted with you. They apparently had preparation that the military didn't or couldn't provide.

I don't have anything against the Government or law enforcement, but I just don't have confidence that the "Authorities" are the be all end all. I've met a few officers in my day, and many are great people, but there has been more than a couple that I don't know how Darwin hasn't claimed them already.

Caustic Burno":13fuuofh said:
See TB I see people like you a greater danger to our civil liberties that blindly follow. The constitution I read and follow does not give or allow the Federal Government all and far reaching right's to do as they see fit.
I still disagree with you that the Confederate states were treasonous against a tyrannical government based on the seperation of power's in the states right's clause. The irony it was written by traitor's and terrorist so that makes your interpretation correct.

I see that Boston bomber as the scum of the earth he is still an American citizen with right's just as the homeowner's
Nothing trump's our right's, when we get to that point we don't have any. We might as well tear up the scared document as it only applies some of the time.
And people like you who insist on demanding your rights with total disregard for what is happening around you are just as dangerous. These policeman were in pursuit. They had just had a shootout with the man a few minutes earlier and the chase was ongoing. NO they did not know exactly where he was holed up but they were still in pursuit. Perhaps only a difference in semantics here. Our constitution was written by Freedom Fighters. NOT TERRORIST and you sir are a disgrace to America for making such a STUPID statement. I'm done now !!!!!!!!!!!!

Commercialfarmer":329nbskf said:
I don't have anything against the Government or law enforcement, but I just don't have confidence that the "Authorities" are the be all end all. I've met a few officers in my day, and many are great people, but there has been more than a couple that I don't know how Darwin hasn't claimed them already.

I've known a lot of policeman, highway patrol, game wardens and others in my years and I have nothing but ultimate respect for them. But perhaps having always lived in small towns I have a simplistic view.

TexasBred":20b2zm8q said:
Caustic Burno":20b2zm8q said:
See TB I see people like you a greater danger to our civil liberties that blindly follow. The constitution I read and follow does not give or allow the Federal Government all and far reaching right's to do as they see fit.
I still disagree with you that the Confederate states were treasonous against a tyrannical government based on the seperation of power's in the states right's clause. The irony it was written by traitor's and terrorist so that makes your interpretation correct.

I see that Boston bomber as the scum of the earth he is still an American citizen with right's just as the homeowner's
Nothing trump's our right's, when we get to that point we don't have any. We might as well tear up the scared document as it only applies some of the time.
And people like you who insist on demanding your rights with total disregard for what is happening around you are just as dangerous. These policeman were in pursuit. They had just had a shootout with the man a few minutes earlier and the chase was ongoing. NO they did not know exactly where he was holed up but they were still in pursuit. Perhaps only a difference in semantics here. Our constitution was written by Freedom Fighters. NOT TERRORIST and you sir are a disgrace to America for making such a STUPID statement. I'm done now !!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny thing is "terrorist" or "freedom fighter" is simply determined by who wins the fight and puts the words in the history books. Sir that is a fact every one of our founding father's were traitor's and terrorist against their country England.Ever heard of the Boston Tea Party the battle of Bunker Hill. That happen before the declaration
But that armed insurection is justified.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately John Hancock."
John Hancock signed the Declaration.
That Civil war and act's of terrorism were justified.
Oh how funny the only reason they all didn't swing from the gallow's as terrorist and traitor's is they were not caught before the war ended.
I am sorry I am disgrace to you for knowing our history and how we got here.
Those that forget or don't know are doomed to repeat the past.

Fifty-six men signed the Declaration of Independence, all fully aware that the punishment for treason was death by hanging or dismemberment. What happened to them?
Five Southern delegates were captured by the British, arrested as traitors and brutally tortured. Twelve had their homes ransacked, looted, burned and other property destroyed. Nine fought and died from either wounds or hardships suffered during the war. One returned home to find his wife had died and his 13 children vanished.

Thus ending the History Lesson.

Caustic Burno":3tuwmwh1 said:
TexasBred":3tuwmwh1 said:
Caustic Burno":3tuwmwh1 said:

Funny thing is "terrorist" or "freedom fighter" is simply determined by who wins the fight and puts the words in the history books. Sir that is a fact every one of our founding father's were traitor's and terrorist against their country England.Ever heard of the Boston Tea Party the battle of Bunker Hill. That happen before the declaration
But that armed insurection is justified.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately John Hancock."
John Hancock signed the Declaration.
That Civil war and act's of terrorism were justified.
Oh how funny the only reason they all didn't swing from the gallow's as terrorist and traitor's is they were not caught before the war ended.
I am sorry I am disgrace to you for knowing our history and how we got here.
Those that forget or don't know are doomed to repeat the past.

Fifty-six men signed the Declaration of Independence, all fully aware that the punishment for treason was death by hanging or dismemberment. What happened to them?
Five Southern delegates were captured by the British, arrested as traitors and brutally tortured. Twelve had their homes ransacked, looted, burned and other property destroyed. Nine fought and died from either wounds or hardships suffered during the war. One returned home to find his wife had died and his 13 children vanished.

Thus ending the History Lesson.

Well you didn't "teach" me anything I didn't already know other than the fact that you don't know a freedom fighter from a terrorist and thus would be considered unfit to serve on either side. CB I swear you're so narrow minded you could see thru a keyhole with both eyes. ;-) :mrgreen:

greybeard":2ytsycav said:
And people like you who insist on demanding your rights with total disregard for what is happening around you are just as dangerous.
One word:
Unalienable

And not for one day in the life of this country have we really allowed all our people to enjoy these unalienable rights. :cry2:

I don't see a terrorist being anywhere near a freedom fighter.
Terrorism only had one thing in mind: inflict as much fear and pain as possible. Doesn't matter what side you're on
Freedom fighter/ warrior/ infantry/ etc is more about achieving a goal based on a set of ideological points or defense based.
I'm not quite sure how one could even begin to say both are anywhere near close.
But then again I also have some black scary rifles that I could care less what people think about them as long as they suit my needs

TB you would most likely be the best neighbor a man could have.
TB I am not the narrow mided one here as I can see both sides of history here.
There are two sides not just one. The founding father's that were caught,tried and tortured, I wonder how that freedom fighter arguement worked for them. Had France not joined the war most likely all would have swung from the gallow's. The Founding fathers were rebel's and terroist no different than the men who stood a wall at the Alamo or the men in Picket's Charge dying in mass across a field in Gettysburg. Their beielf's didn't make them wrong.
Might doesn't alway's make right as much of Europe found out in WWII. Irony is you can't even see you are the one supporting the rebel side out of one side of your mouth and cursing it out the other.
The Constitution is the most brillant work of human kind the problem lies in the interpertation by human's.
I won't call you names just because we disagree on interpertation.
I will even defend your right to have your opinon's and belief's even if I disagree.

hillsdown":1dsa8atf said:
This is what is making big news here today .

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013 ... urces.html

RCMP says it has thwarted a terrorism plot to derail a VIA passenger train bound on an undisclosed route with support from Al Qaeda in Iran, police announced Monday.

Well HD, you posted this before I could start a new thread. The title of that new thread was going to be Thank you Canada!!!

I've been catching bits and pieces of that new "blip" on the radio.

Katherine

hooknline":3kvxz010 said:
I don't see a terrorist being anywhere near a freedom fighter.
Terrorism only had one thing in mind: inflict as much fear and pain as possible. Doesn't matter what side you're on
Freedom fighter/ warrior/ infantry/ etc is more about achieving a goal based on a set of ideological points or defense based.
I'm not quite sure how one could even begin to say both are anywhere near close.
But then again I also have some black scary rifles that I could care less what people think about them as long as they suit my needs

Hook you don't realize the act's of terrorism carried out by both side's in the American Revolution.
You need to find a good factual history book one that is not slanted to one side or the other .
Many men, women and children died and were tortured for nothing more than they were on the wrong side.
The Torries carried out act's against neighbor's and brothers as well as the Colonist both had sat on the same pew in church before it broke out. Most of the Tories were driven from their homes to Fla and Canada.
Both's side's in War between the State's performed terror act's against each other in the name of being right brother against brother.
Sherman for the north went way beyond fighting an army to completely terroring citizen's of the South so Grant could keep his hands clean.
Nathan Bedford Forrest of the south had a pretty terroristic streak in him as well that carried on even after the war was over he was out of controll.
Don't forget Missouri and Kansas where nothing but roaveing band's of terroist .

War used to have a sense of honor and nobility to it. Our founding fathers and the troops that fought had that same sense of honor and nobility. Not all but most. Current terrorists have no sense of either. They are nothing but cowards preying on the innocent and the fear of the masses.
They are NOT one and the same cb.

Latest posts