Dehorning

Help Support CattleToday:

mnbryant2001

Reaction score
I have a cow that has a horn growing into her head. I haven't dehorner anything since a teen helping dad. Yep memorable!! He acquired this one thinking it wouldn't have horns.
I will use piano wire since I have it at my "money making job". But how close do I need to cut it to the hairline? Online research failed to give this detail. Also what do you recomend to stop the bleeding? Thought about the powder. It is a 6 year old cow. I expect it to be the only cow I ever dehorn. So I don't want to spend unnessary money on equipment. But I don't want to chance anything either. The Vet Saturday morning is an option if age makes it to risky.

Piano wire might do it. IDK, never used it. Giggly wire would for sure. Me personally, I wouldn't cut it that short. I'd take off just a bit.

I just tip those kind back up so that it's not so much trauma for her but it still keeps it from growing into her skull.

Don't care for it growing back. But I have to worm her anyway.trimming again wouldn't be an issue They are only about 4 inches long and She doesn't cause problems with them. Haven't thought of that.

Giggly wire??? Is the in the drawer with the 2x4 stretchers??:)

A few years back, I helped out on a New Zealand beef farm. The owner used a wire to dehorn his cattle. He left a stub that was about 1 to 1.5 inches long. Just ran them through the chute, tied the head to the side with a halter. No anesthesia, not much bleeding either. For what it is worth, the cattle did not seem to mind much...

He did mention that there is possible regrowth though...

I would just take off the tip growing into her head. Take off an inch or so and it will probably not bleed on a 6 year old cow. Another remedy is to take a sissel baler twine and wrap it tightly around the base of the horns in figure eights to cut off the blood supply to the horns. Then take a hack saw and cut the horns off about 2 inches from the base. It should bleed very little and you can stuff cotton in them to fill any holes. If you use sissel twine, it will rot off and you do not need to remove it. With either method, a hacksaw works just fine.

I trimmed it thurday night. Took about 2 inches off to get the curve out. A tiny drop of blood from the horn was all. It had punctured the skin. Nearly dime size. She looks much better today. Thanks.

Latest posts