dehorning

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We get an occasional horned calf. In the past we have dehorned them using horn cutters. I hate the mess and stress that it puts on the calf.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using dehorning paste or burning the horns off? The calf is currently seven weeks old and the horns are the size of the tip of my little finger.

dehorning paste is probably the worst thing ever to be put on the market, because it can do permanent damage to the udder of the cow. if the calf acidently touches the udder with its horns then some of the paste gets on the udder leaving terrible scars and occasionally it can ruin one or more teets. the best method in my eyes is burning them off. you should do that when the horns are just popping out. this method leaves the calf with pain for about 5 hours instead of three weeks with the paste. also there is no danger that the horns don't come off or that the cow gets hurt in the process.

i've used paste one season and i will never use it again, had two udders partly ruined that year. so went back to the burning device.

[email protected]

We have dehorning paste in the med box, but I have never felt secure enough in using it. If you are able to shave the hair, cleanse the area, dry and aply vasaline, and then apply paste, and keep calf seperate for at least 6 hours, you might be OK, but I have heard way too many horror stories.

This year we scooped several small horn buds, then burned the holes. All very clean and bloodless, all were healed within 2 weeks and the scabs just fell off leaving a smooth little scar patch. On animals we intend to show, or expect to make photos of for future adds, we still do cosmetic dehorns, for the most desirable head shape possible.

[email protected]

We just had our first one done by burning the horns off and I must say, it was a much less traumatic experience both for the calf and for myself! This calf was at the upper limit that our vet would do, 8 weeks old, but it wasn't that bad at all.

Ann B

> We get an occasional horned calf.
> In the past we have dehorned them
> using horn cutters. I hate the
> mess and stress that it puts on
> the calf.

> What are the advantages and
> disadvantages of using dehorning
> paste or burning the horns off?
> The calf is currently seven weeks
> old and the horns are the size of
> the tip of my little finger.