Dehorning techniques: which is best

Help Support CattleToday:

I use a Barnes type dehorner and just put blood stop powder on it. I've seen guys just cut them and let them bleed, but I use the powder. My vet burns & pulls & powders. I,ve done it myself and i've had the vet do it, but sometimes the horns grow back. Best is like these other guys said, get a polled bull.

Our vet uses the scoops, pulls the bleers with forceps then puts a thin layer of soft gauze over the sinus openeing and uses the blood to make it stick.

I pull the bleeders and burn.
When you dehorn make sure you get at least 1/8 inch of skin from around the horn. This is like the cuticle on your finger nail. It is where the horn grows from. If you do not remove all of it you will get regrowth, spurs and the like.

novatech":1x2xxsk9 said:
I pull the bleeders and burn.

Have been getting away with the burn only, but only doing a few a year with the polled cows.

Nice to know how to pull the bleeders in case your iron goes kaput, which has happened.

I am a recent convert to the surgical wire saw, vet brought a set out last session and talk about slick! It was just a couple 3" nubs as well but they were off quick and what a neat job.
Vet barbecued the site and sprayed blue spray ( antiseptic ).
She doesn't pull the bleeders either.

I didn't ask a price on the wire saw, this looked surgical, with stainless handles.

I love the scoops and cauterize with the branding iron. That way I know I will have a slick headed cow without nubs. Usually just leave the cavity open. Have never had a problem.. YET.

TexasBred":3bifbus5 said:
I love the scoops and cauterize with the branding iron. That way I know I will have a slick headed cow without nubs. Usually just leave the cavity open. Have never had a problem.. YET.
I'm with texasBred. Except I put a cotton ball in the cavity and spray with Gibson oil and blue lotion.

slb714":4ywbtlmz said:
I remember my grand dad used to put axle grease after he dehorned...

Stockholm tar is still widely used today, anything to plug the sinus and deter the flies will do.

What also work is Condice' Crystals (no idea how to spell it). It reacts with the blood and will not only form a hard scab, but will cauterise the veins. Very hard on your hands though and will burn your skin when it reacts with the blood. When it dissolves in water it doesn't have that burning effect, don't know why though.

When we stopped milking cows, I said thank goodness no more dehorning. There are too many good beef breeds that are polled. I was even using polled holstein bulls when we quit. 8)

sparky1":1c5cz0n3 said:
What is the best way to dehorn 2" nubs- pull bleeders or burn with hot iron?

I prefer the electric dehorning method. I do this with all my calves I wean and never have had a problem. As long as you get the copper circle all around the horn, it will work fine.

Gail

sparky1":mewss0vt said:
What is the best way to dehorn 2" nubs- pull bleeders or burn with hot iron?

One more thing to add, once the horn has erupted thru the skin, such as in older calves, the only good way to do it is with the instrument they use to pull the horn out and then cauterize the bleeders. We don't let ours get that old, unless we buy a older animal and want it done, we take it to the Vet, because we do not have a chute.

I think its always best to do it when they are young, less stressful on hte animal and you too.

Gail

we took ours to the vet, 7 months old, he used a hyd cutter that looks like a axle bearing press, sliced them smooth with the head and he pulled the artires then put on the powder, $5 bucks a head, to me thats hard to beat, and they have healed up fine, almost looks like they never had ant tobegin with, was pretty gastly looking for a while, but glad we did it

We have limos at work . . . so have horns to deal with.

Young calves (horns only tiny buds) we use paste.

Bigger calves (horns up to five centimeters) we use a scoop dehorner and flystrike powder to stop the bleeding and deter the flies.

Older animals that have got horns from poor dehorning when young, we use embryotomy wire and put stockholme tar on the wound.

This comes up from time to time. Bez posted a very detailed description on this a while back. You may try a search.

Latest posts