Deformed calf

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
any one see a newborn calf like this it has only one testicle and is huge. Feels like a normal testicle and nothing else in sack, do you just ring him and hope for best? PB calf out of AI programme [/URL

When you cut/band fish around above and you'll probably be able to get the other nut down. We had a run of calves from on particular bull that the scrotums were very fat. Couldn;t band them with cheerio, had to get a tri-bander to fit over the scrotum.

We had a similar one, fished and felt around and could not find 2nd testicle no matter what, so just banded him.
6-8 months later it dropped on it's own and we cut him then, it was a little trickier to cut but, all turned out fine.

I got a 5 week old bull calf I can only get ahold of 1 nut.. I feel the other one but there's no darned way to get it down... was hoping time would help, but so far no luck.. he might just stay a bull and I'll take my lumps at sale time.. I'm not equipped to cut, and I found unless you can get both nuts 'comfortably' in the sac, there's a much greater risk of infection

Nesikep":2mkyx3e9 said:
I got a 5 week old bull calf I can only get ahold of 1 nut.. I feel the other one but there's no darned way to get it down... was hoping time would help, but so far no luck.. he might just stay a bull and I'll take my lumps at sale time.. I'm not equipped to cut, and I found unless you can get both nuts 'comfortably' in the sac, there's a much greater risk of infection
You'll take less of a hit on a bull then on a stag

Thanks for the tip dun

I've never seen such big nut on a young calf either.. I don't know what the best way to proceed with it is either

I'd be a bit cautious about doing any thing. From the photo and your description I think there is a good chance you are dealing with an inguinal hernia. Last thing you want to do is put a band around a loop of intestine. I think you should get a Vet to check it out before doing anything.

Ken

Bought an animal once, that ended up having only one big nut. Sack looked pretty normal, but hung a bit crooked. Grabbed a feel and found only the one nut, and then when butchered, confirmed there wasn't another hiding.

Didn't see him as a calf though, so not sure how big it was at birth.

wbvs58":dgme4th2 said:
I'd be a bit cautious about doing any thing. From the photo and your description I think there is a good chance you are dealing with an inguinal hernia. Last thing you want to do is put a band around a loop of intestine. I think you should get a Vet to check it out before doing anything.

Ken

my thought as well

dun":fpeh80sn said:
Nesikep":fpeh80sn said:
Sometimes it's the other way. Intact bull calves took a hard hit than stags here.

That is one big strange looking nut! I'd think I'd probably leave it, at least for the time being. We had a calf 2 years ago that when he was first born his nuts were about that size, but he had both them. A week or so later they went down to normal size newborn calf nuts. Not sure what caused it though.

At our local auctions if you have two equal animals quality wise a bull will sell better than a stag. Every fall we buy cheap 'scrub' feeder calves (200-300lbs, heifers, steers, bulls, just whatever is cheap) & usually there will be a couple with belly nuts. They are worse to have in a group of feeder animals than the bulls. I don't know if there is any scientific reasoning to it but they tend to have way more of an attitude, at an earlier age, than an actual bull calf. And at least a bull the next guy can band him, or cut him, do whatever he wants pretty simply. One with a belly nut is usually a little trickier - we usually just feed them out and somebody in the family eats them.

Muddy":2s3ag5bs said:
dun":2s3ag5bs said:
Nesikep":2s3ag5bs said:
Sometimes it's the other way. Intact bull calves took a hard hit than stags here.

If I even think a calf might be a stag I will never bid on it. It is way too much trouble to finish the job someone else messed up. .20 less at least here. Sometimes more.

kenny thomas":2i4ifqxh said:
Muddy":2i4ifqxh said:
If I even think a calf might be a stag I will never bid on it. It is way too much trouble to finish the job someone else messed up. .20 less at least here. Sometimes more.
You could be right, I'm just saying it's completely opposite here. Intact bull calves here are 20 cents less or worse than stags.

I just cant imagine why anyone would want a stag. It is very easy to castrate a bull calf with both nuts and sometimes almost impossible to do a stag. But to each his own. Not for me.

kenny thomas":2x66aba3 said:
I just cant imagine why anyone would want a stag. It is very easy to castrate a bull calf with both nuts and sometimes almost impossible to do a stag. But to each his own. Not for me.
I can totally understand why the intact bull calves get docked hard since they have to do castration themselves and you're bound to lost some calves.

As for the stags, beats me but apparently they don't dock them at our local sale barns and it seems they don't mix heifers and males together at some feedlots.

You would have to do a stag also since at lease one of the nuts are still there. The feedlots I have visited, and that has only been a few, do not mix steers and heifers.

kenny thomas":38srpgej said:
You would have to do a stag also since at lease one of the nuts are still there. The feedlots I have visited, and that has only been a few, do not mix steers and heifers.
Or maybe they're just leaving the stags alone and finish them out with the rest. All I know they don't dock stags here that much.

Latest posts