Debate...

Help Support CattleToday:

You where right on the chili but dead wrong about BBQ... unbelievable.
Bbq is slow cooking over indirect heat.
Smoking is just that.
Meat placed right over the coals is grilling...at least in the Texas part of Texas...now you know.
My grandad would've said the old brick pits were traditional Texas bbq.. not many folks run them anymore. Idk if they're considered direct or indirect but the meat racks are much higher over the coal bed than a grill. Id consider it all bbq, just a different style of smoker.

I believe that's called Cincinnati style chili.
Nothing wrong with a good chili served on a bed of spaghetti, but it ain't chili.
Cincinnati probably originated beans in chili during the great depression.
just guessing
Yuck!

I have heard of some conglomeration called 'chilimac' but that isn't chili either.
Fiesta Pie.... it has noodles, fritos, chili... I looked for a picture don't see one.

It's probably been banned as a tool of the anti-christ.
Sounds nasty and I picture it as looking like something that has already been eaten once.
(I'll probably go to hell just for picturing it in my mind.)

Chili began as a rich beefy stew from the Spanish even before Mexico won it's independence. It's primary ingredient was chilis. The vendors (the chili queens) selling the dish in Alamo Square San Antonio Tx to the cowboys driving cattle North, beginning around 1860 did not put beans in their chili. The trail cooks learned to make chili and it was a staple along the cattle trails North and pots of chili would last without spoiling, but as the herd moved up into the midwest, the mixture got thin from just adding water and more chili to the leftovers.

Until the importation of the Hereford breed into the Americas, beef was is short supply and was seen as a post civil war luxury in the Midwest, North and Northeast, even after the cattle drives from the southwest were commonplace. As the Northeners and Midwesterners adapted chili recipes gleaned from the trail cooks, they started adding beans as a filler to make up bulk as well as adding back the red color that was lost with using less or no meat. That carries on even today.

It's worth noting that the organization that sanctions all official real chili cookoffs (International Chili Society) for traditional chili bans beans and other fillers from chili. One of the reasons given is that beans is a dominant flavor when compared to most seasoned meat and the Society wants the dish judged on the flavor of the spice and meat alone.

Traditional Red Chili is any kind of meat, or combination of meats, cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients. Beans and non-vegetable fillers such as rice and pasta are not allowed. Preference is not given to either cut meat, ground meat, shredded meat or cubed meat.

"Carol Hancock, President and CEO of the International Chili Society, makes a good case for why there are no beans found in true Texas chili: because that is just the way it is. "I think there is probably no consensus on one idea (of what defines chili), but the reason why we don't allow beans in chili is number one: real Texas chili has always been known as meat and the sauce with peppers," Hancock said. "Beans don't come into play at the cook off because if our judges are trying to determine a taste, beans are a dominant flavor and we wouldn't get the pure chili taste."

NO BEANS!

No beans in either traditional (red) or chili verde (green)
There is a category for novices, witches, demons, lessor imps and heretics called 'homestyle'.
For those transgressors of real chili edict, beans are required.

"Homestyle Chili is any kind of meat, or combination of meats, and/or vegetables cooked with beans, chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients. Homestyle chili may be any color. Beans are required. Preference is not given to either cut meat, ground meat, shredded meat or cubed meat. Seafood is allowed."

These folks are more often than not, looked down upon, laughed at and ridiculed through out the chili world but are sometimes begrudgingly accepted much as the mini cow people are in the cattle world.

Maybe I've said something that ticked you off,(definitely wasn't intentional) my silly sarcasm gets under your skin, whatever it is your entitled to your opinions. I'm still going to be me. I'm sure your not the first, nor the last person I've ever made mad. Sorry, if I have offended you in some way.
Shell, you are a bigger person than he is. Just keep on being you. I think most of us appreciate and respect you. I can't get out of my head the fact that in the height of the Pandemic (when no one knew what was going to happen and how dangerous it was and everyone in the World was locked down), you went out and stocked Food Boxes for those in need. You will always be an Angel in my book.

Even though you drive a Chevy....... 🤷‍♂️

Maybe I've said something that ticked you off,(definitely wasn't intentional) my silly sarcasm gets under your skin, whatever it is your entitled to your opinions. I'm still going to be me. I'm sure your not the first, nor the last person I've ever made mad. Sorry, if I have offended you in some way.
You just keep being you! Always enjoy your input.

Yuck!

I have heard of some conglomeration called 'chilimac' but that isn't chili either.

It's probably been banned as a tool of the anti-christ.
Sounds nasty and I picture it as looking like something that has already been eaten once.
(I'll probably go to hell just for picturing it in my mind.)

Chili began as a rich beefy stew from the Spanish even before Mexico won it's independence. It's primary ingredient was chilis. The vendors (the chili queens) selling the dish in Alamo Square San Antonio Tx to the cowboys driving cattle North, beginning around 1860 did not put beans in their chili. The trail cooks learned to make chili and it was a staple along the cattle trails North and pots of chili would last without spoiling, but as the herd moved up into the midwest, the mixture got thin from just adding water and more chili to the leftovers.

Until the importation of the Hereford breed into the Americas, beef was is short supply and was seen as a post civil war luxury in the Midwest, North and Northeast, even after the cattle drives from the southwest were commonplace. As the Northeners and Midwesterners adapted chili recipes gleaned from the trail cooks, they started adding beans as a filler to make up bulk as well as adding back the red color that was lost with using less or no meat. That carries on even today.

It's worth noting that the organization that sanctions all official real chili cookoffs (International Chili Society) for traditional chili bans beans and other fillers from chili. One of the reasons given is that beans is a dominant flavor when compared to most seasoned meat and the Society wants the dish judged on the flavor of the spice and meat alone.

Traditional Red Chili is any kind of meat, or combination of meats, cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients. Beans and non-vegetable fillers such as rice and pasta are not allowed. Preference is not given to either cut meat, ground meat, shredded meat or cubed meat.

"Carol Hancock, President and CEO of the International Chili Society, makes a good case for why there are no beans found in true Texas chili: because that is just the way it is. "I think there is probably no consensus on one idea (of what defines chili), but the reason why we don't allow beans in chili is number one: real Texas chili has always been known as meat and the sauce with peppers," Hancock said. "Beans don't come into play at the cook off because if our judges are trying to determine a taste, beans are a dominant flavor and we wouldn't get the pure chili taste."

NO BEANS!

No beans in either traditional (red) or chili verde (green)
There is a category for novices, witches, demons, lessor imps and heretics called 'homestyle'.
For those transgressors of real chili edict, beans are required.

"Homestyle Chili is any kind of meat, or combination of meats, and/or vegetables cooked with beans, chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients. Homestyle chili may be any color. Beans are required. Preference is not given to either cut meat, ground meat, shredded meat or cubed meat. Seafood is allowed."

These folks are more often than not, looked down upon, laughed at and ridiculed through out the chili world but are sometimes begrudgingly accepted much as the mini cow people are in the cattle world.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yea I believe your correct. "Sounds nasty and I picture it as looking like something that has already been eaten once.
(I'll probably go to hell just for picturing it in my mind.)" 😂😂😂😂😂😂💀

Wrong answer.

Found a picture of a different local drive in that looks close but not it. This other drive in isn't soupy but dry with fritos on the bottom, the chili spaghetti and cheese on too. Doesn't come with all that other stuff either.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211103-195823_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211103-195823_Chrome.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 3
No, not mad, just concerned and I will be first to say it's no skin off my nose. Everyone has some drama in their life and we all deal with it
in our own way. Perhaps venting on an internet forum from a safe distance brings some temporary relief but it hardly resolves the issue
of mistreatment of a child at school and the resulting changing of educational format in mid session.. I trust you will realize some of the
responses I received from my message to you have more to do with my perception of them as little more than quasi liberals than any
defense they might muster. Most of them are all voice and no ear (or perhaps I should add conscious..)
Hell Shell I have two ex wives (1 dead) and have been cussed at by a full bird. [that would be Colonel to you ma'am] so no problem with mad.
On believing in God, James has some thoughts on that in his Chapter 2. (You say you believe in God?, Satan also believe and trembles) paraphrased
Did you know James actual name was Yakov as there were no J's in use at the time. He served as chief rabbi in Jerusalem and was chief halakhic
judge and authority over religious law. I can understand the hesitation with organized religion but I would urge you not to lose heart and take
some time to reach into the Word for whatever comfort and understanding you may find. I still wish you well,

Shell, you are a bigger person than he is. Just keep on being you. I think most of us appreciate and respect you. I can't get out of my head the fact that in the height of the Pandemic (when no one knew what was going to happen and how dangerous it was and everyone in the World was locked down), you went out and stocked Food Boxes for those in need. You will always be an Angel in my book.

Even though you drive a Chevy....... 🤷‍♂️
You just keep being you! Always enjoy your input.

Thanks, I do appreciate that. Everybody needs some positive feedback sometimes. Don't let me fool you I have a big heart and mean well, unless I'm hangry or mad about something. I really try to be a good person and see both sides. We aren't alike, we aren't going to always see eye to eye, and we will get on each other's nerves at times thats part of life. We all live and learn. 🤷🏽‍♀️

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yea I believe your correct. "Sounds nasty and I picture it as looking like something that has already been eaten once.
(I'll probably go to hell just for picturing it in my mind.)" 😂😂😂😂😂😂💀

Wrong answer.

Found a picture of a different local drive in that looks close but not it. This other drive in isn't soupy but dry with fritos on the bottom, the chili spaghetti and cheese on too. Doesn't come with all that other stuff either.
I don't know what the hades that IS, but it is NOT chili.
I have seen it before tho, about 3 weeks ago when one of the dogs got sick.

No, not mad, just concerned and I will be first to say it's no skin off my nose. Everyone has some drama in their life and we all deal with it
in our own way. Perhaps venting on an internet forum from a safe distance brings some temporary relief but it hardly resolves the issue
of mistreatment of a child at school and the resulting changing of educational format in mid session.. I trust you will realize some of the
responses I received from my message to you have more to do with my perception of them as little more than quasi liberals than any
defense they might muster. Most of them are all voice and no ear (or perhaps I should add conscious..)
Hell Shell I have two ex wives (1 dead) and have been cussed at by a full bird. [that would be Colonel to you ma'am] so no problem with mad.
On believing in God, James has some thoughts on that in his Chapter 2. (You say you believe in God?, Satan also believe and trembles) paraphrased
Did you know James actual name was Yakov as there were no J's in use at the time. He served as chief rabbi in Jerusalem and was chief halakhic
judge and authority over religious law. I can understand the hesitation with organized religion but I would urge you not to lose heart and take
some time to reach into the Word for whatever comfort and understanding you may find. I still wish you well,

Your right it doesn't resolves the issue, but I do value others input and advice on here. Being most are older and have more experience than myself.

Your are right I should read the word. Who can disagree with that.

I'm guessing that Lee also has a twisted sense of humor, seasoned with a healthy dose of sarcasm.

Shell, if you'll go back to your beginning here on CT, you'll see that I also yanked your chain a few times. It was meant as good natured ribbing then and now.

Problem now is, people get their their knickers in a knot. People have forgotten how to laugh, especially at themselves.

Breathe in deep, then out slower, and understand that we all do care about you. We have different ways of showing it.

Those looking on from the sidelines don't get it.

My mother used to make chili with spaghetti noodles. My wife doesn't put noodles in hers, but does put beans, kidney, navy, and black beans with the hamburger, along with some jalapeños and cayenne peppers. She tops her's with cheese and sour cream.

Do I have to explain everything to you rubes?

LVR said "Would someone else agree that chili uses chunked beef instead of hamburger so I don't have to agree with ssttxxx?"

What I'm saying is I'd eat chicken chili with CHILI beans before I'd want to be caught agreeing the ssttxxx on anything!
You should try to be more clearer

30+ years ago McDonald's chose my Aunt's chili recipe for regional test marketing.

The good news, it tasted good enough to be chosen by their testing panel.
The bad news, McDonald's concluded for whatever reason it would not be a profitable addition to their national menu. She passed away more than a dozen years ago and no, I don't know her recipe. But my niece makes a very good chili.
I don't know her recipe either, just that she peels fresh tomatoes when making it and serves it with diced onions, shredded cheese, sour cream and saltines on the side.

30+ years ago McDonald's chose my Aunt's chili recipe for regional test marketing.

The good news, it tasted good enough to be chosen by their testing panel.
The bad news, McDonald's concluded for whatever reason it would not be a profitable addition to their national menu. She passed away more than a dozen years ago and no, I don't know her recipe. But my niece makes a very good chili.
I don't know her recipe either, just that she peels fresh tomatoes when making it and serves it with diced onions, shredded cheese, sour cream and saltines on the side.
1c1865a6.png

Okay, so inquiring minds want to know: What's your chilli recipe?

I don't know. My wife makes it. I just know it shouldn't have beans in it.

I make chili with beans and a little vegetables...no meats... what's that? I call it vegetarian chili. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Do you like noodles in your no bean chili?

Funny I used to hate beans in my chili.
  • That's soup.
  • I never tried noodles in my chili, but it just sounds wrong. I do like to add Fritos, corn bread, or rice (that's added to the bowl when eating, not when cooking).
You where right on the chili but dead wrong about BBQ... unbelievable.
Bbq is slow cooking over indirect heat.
Smoking is just that.
Meat placed right over the coals is grilling...at least in the Texas part of Texas...now you know.

Nope. I stand by my statement. Meat placed directly over the coals, but not real close to the coals, and cooked slow, is barbecue. Brisket, pork butts, etc.

Meat placed directly over the coals, close to the coals, and cooked fast, is grilled. Steak, for example.

My grandad would've said the old brick pits were traditional Texas bbq.. not many folks run them anymore. Idk if they're considered direct or indirect but the meat racks are much higher over the coal bed than a grill. Id consider it all bbq, just a different style of smoker.

Thanks you. Your grandad was right. The pit made of cinder blocks at the community center here at Whitehall was a prime example. It finally deteriorated and was demolished, but I can still remember it. The coals were at the bottom, and the rack for the meat was at least 18" above that, and maybe 24".

I don't know. My wife makes it. I just know it shouldn't have beans in it.

• That's soup.
  • I never tried noodles in my chili, but it just sounds wrong. I do like to add Fritos, corn bread, or rice (that's added to the bowl when eating, not when cooking).

Nope. I stand by my statement. Meat placed directly over the coals, but not real close to the coals, and cooked slow, is barbecue. Brisket, pork butts, etc.

Meat placed directly over the coals, close to the coals, and cooked fast, is grilled. Steak, for example.

Thanks you. Your grandad was right. The pit made of cinder blocks at the community center here at Whitehall was a prime example. It finally deteriorated and was demolished, but I can still remember it. The coals were at the bottom, and the rack for the meat was at least 18" above that, and maybe 24".
That's not what you said....

That's not what you said....

I don't see where my first statement on the first subject contradicted my last one, but I can see where it might have been misunderstood. I meant that when people cook meat on one of those pits on wheels, with a firebox at one end, and no charcoal under the meat, it's not barbecue. I stand by that statement. It also gives me bad indigestion.

I don't see where my first statement on the first subject contradicted my last one, but I can see where it might have been misunderstood. I meant that when people cook meat on one of those pits on wheels, with a firebox at one end, and no charcoal under the meat, it's not barbecue. I stand by that statement. It also gives me bad indigestion.
How do you stand by a statement you changed.
Like I said bbq is indirect heat. Low and slow. Over the coals 18 " and covered top is indirect heat. The same thing can be done with a separate firebox. Still not quite the same as smoking.
Direct contact with the heat high and fast is grilling.

Do ya'll think during the depression or the old days they had spaghetti later add more... beans, chili power, ect to make it chili?

I think most casseroles was just a bunch of stuff thrown together.

I swear I have a friend I went to school with. She would throw some stuff together call it her name Slop. It was layered like mashed taters, chicken chucks, stove top... may of had something else I can't remember but basically that's the jif of it. Kind of like one them KFC bowls. May of had Mac cheese in it. Sounds strange enough but it was good. She would crack me up. She be like girl I just take all my left over at the end of the week put the on a dish call it her name slop. We get to laughing about that. Ya'll have to know the girl, she good people. Ya ever get with that one friend and just "act a fool?! " Act like yourself to the fullest laugh and joke cause you don't have to be serious. I do that with most people, definitely with her.

Latest posts