Debate is finally settled.

Help Support CattleToday:

Commercialfarmer

Reaction score
Took a drive down highway 1 while on the west coast.

20160923_180814_zpsqt6lmw23_edit_1474868372148_zpsbygsypfq.jpg

If you can't tell, those are herefords. Apparently they are paying there way on the high dollar real estate side.

20160923_184718_zpsu3hiyorx_edit_1474868783544_zpsnun6ts7n.jpg

These are sluming it in the low rent section. :D

20160923_192126_zpsu0h7ja27.jpg

Beautiful country.

20160923_164137_zpsgv0h3oat.jpg

Just too many fruits. :D

Where abouts are you? Did you stop in to any wineries? I can't wait to get to that part of the country b/c I don't think any picture can do it justice.

Bestoutwest":310qq1yc said:
Where abouts are you? Did you stop in to any wineries? I can't wait to get to that part of the country b/c I don't think any picture can do it justice.

The vineyard photo is a good ways up napa valley.

Then I drove to the coast on a backroad. Crazy how the topography changed.

Mountainous.

Then redwood forest.

20160923_174816_zpsrhbvllre.jpg
[/URL]

Started seeing fern type undergrowth so figured I was getting close, then you just pop out of the forest and run out of road.

20160923_191130_zpspgeouasf.jpg
[/URL]

I went to a vineyard, Wood Valley, to pick up some gifts one evening. Learned a thing or two there. Figured I had better taste a few to make a better decision.

They had a creation called Miscela. It's a combination of multiple grapes.
If I didn't know what someone liked, it would be a great stand by. The guy recommended it for couples where one prefers sweet wine, but the other drier. It's a jack of all trades. Starts out sweet, but leaves dry.

I heard something about a club. If you are into trying new ones, I don't think you would go wrong with this place. I'm not a big wine drinker, but I liked everyone I tried. Some just better than others because of personal preference.

Edit to add:

You are right, you really do need to go. Pictures don't do it justice.

When you go, make sure you spend some time around Carmel by the sea. Has to be in the top 10 of prettiest places on Earth.

How far north did you get? One of my co-workers was raised out of Eureka. She advised me to take a trip around the lost coast. Leave 101 a little north of Fortuna and loop around coming back through Humboldt State Park. Probably the worse paved road I have ever driven on and one of the most scenic drives I have ever taken. And other than a couple of ranches we had it all to ourselves. I know when we go south the next time we will schedule more time to spend there.

Dave":qyr3nrkm said:
How far north did you get? One of my co-workers was raised out of Eureka. She advised me to take a trip around the lost coast. Leave 101 a little north of Fortuna and loop around coming back through Humboldt State Park. Probably the worse paved road I have ever driven on and one of the most scenic drives I have ever taken. And other than a couple of ranches we had it all to ourselves. I know when we go south the next time we will schedule more time to spend there.

That's good to know Dave. My wife didn't get to go with me, so I plan on getting the rest of the drive in with her when we can. We'll be sure and take that exit.

I guess I didn't make it as far north as it seemed. Made it just south of Gualala. Hard to get anywhere when you are stopping every 20 minutes.

Commercialfarmer":358eyvex said:

If you can't tell, those are herefords. Apparently they are paying there way on the high dollar real estate side.
Not necessarily. I don't know any of the details, but there is some sort of fairly substantial tax benefits in CA for agricultural land which is being "actively" farmed. In some of the wealthiest communities surrounding San Diego the land owners plant the entire property with oranges, except for the area immediately surrounding the house, to reap the benefits of the tax breaks. Often they just let the fruit drop off the trees and rot, since they don't need what little money a few acres will produce. If you're in cattle country why not do the same, and since you're wealthy enough not to care, why not put something with pretty colors and nice markings, even if they don't pay their own way? If it were me in that situation I'd have it stocked full of Longhorns, Watusi, Highlanders or something with a belt.

But agreed, it is nice country. You haven't lived until you've seen the Sequoias.

Just returned from a trip up the coast from S.F. to Oregon. Beautiful country no doubt but I particularly liked the huge Red woods and sequoias. The Sequoia that is carved out for a road thru it is about 27 feet in diameter. Crater lake is something to see as well.

Luca Brasi":3oodacou said:
Commercialfarmer":3oodacou said:

Not necessarily. I don't know any of the details, but there is some sort of fairly substantial tax benefits in CA for agricultural land which is being "actively" farmed. In some of the wealthiest communities surrounding San Diego the land owners plant the entire property with oranges, except for the area immediately surrounding the house, to reap the benefits of the tax breaks. Often they just let the fruit drop off the trees and rot, since they don't need what little money a few acres will produce. If you're in cattle country why not do the same, and since you're wealthy enough not to care, why not put something with pretty colors and nice markings, even if they don't pay their own way? If it were me in that situation I'd have it stocked full of Longhorns, Watusi, Highlanders or something with a belt.

But agreed, it is nice country. You haven't lived until you've seen the Sequoia.

Sorry Luca, I was intending it as humor (for the age old breed debates on here), I must of failed in the delivery.

Talking about stocking something different got me to thinking about what it would take to ship them in. I can't imagine driving a semi in that mess. But then again, I guess they have all of those docks....

Looking at just some of those redwoods, I was impressed. I'd like to see the Sequoia as well. Seeing one large tree that fell, and thought it was big enough, that there was almost no need for a saw mill. Cut a notch in the side, hallow it out to your liking and your shelter would be complete.

greybeard":2o1vp2wl said:
Looks lots nicer than the only part of California I ever saw. MCRD and Camp Pendelton MCB.

You should have been a better negotiator and worked a trip up the coast into the deal. :lol:

Is that where you went to basic before Vietnam?

Commercialfarmer":10g92vm3 said:
[
Looking at just some of those redwoods, I was impressed. I'd like to see the Sequoia as well. Seeing one large tree that fell, and thought it was big enough, that there was almost no need for a saw mill. Cut a notch in the side, hallow it out to your liking and your shelter would be complete.

There are actually a lot of old pictures around where the early settlers installed a roof on top of a hollow redwood or cedar stump and created a house. Back when I was falling timber I cut a fair amount of big old cedars (10-13 feet in diameter) that were generally burned out hollow. A lot of the time there was an opening that you could walk into them and a fair amount of room inside. Occasionally you had to step inside and saw a little to cripple up the tree before finishing falling from the outside. Doing that was a little nerve wracking.

Latest posts