dead calf

Help Support CattleToday:

deaconcreek

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and not real experieced. I had a calf born dead to a 3 year old angus heifer Sat night. The birth didn't look right, there was a sac hanging all the way to the ground, and the fetal sac was just starting to show at 1:00am. At 3:00am I was sure that something was wrong, so I called my vet, he said that the placenta had become detached and that it would be a stillbirth, and it was. The vet said it is just something that happens, but it was a full term calf, weighed 52 pounds and was perfect. I tried to resesitate it, even mouth to nose, but no luck. Just wondering if anyone had any other ideas of why this happened? It was a heart break :( this was our first calf, although I have 4 more due in the next month. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm new at all this calving stuff since we finally bought a bull last year I could use all the help I can get. Thanks.
Lisa

Sorry about your loss. As someone else posted on another thread, if you got em, your gonna lose some of em. Welcome to the boards, and good luck with the rest of your calves.

Don't get too worried about the rest of them. You may have the rest come without a hitch. Sorry about the calf.

These things do just happen, I know it is hard and frustrating, you second guess yourself all the time with animal problems, try not to think it is anything you did or didn't do. Hang in there! Good luck with the rest!

Regards,

Gail

Latest posts