dead calf weid

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe it had bleeding under the skin, just not onto the outside?
If it was adult cattle I could cut it open and look for heartworms etc. Wouldn't know what to look for in a new calve? If you have any ideals let me know in case it happens again.
It has been raining real hard and all the calves was born under real wet conditions was thinking maybe pneumonia, but I have had a calve dropped in a ditch full of water and it survived.
Will never know without someone who can do a post morduum.
Seems to always happen when I am 100 miles away.

If it bled under the skin then you can just remove the skin, and see a lot of loose blood. It's basically a big bruise. I've seen it in lamb post mortems where there was no blood on the outside, but onced skinned, there was massive bleeding under the skin and down the throat from a tiny puncture wound on the head.

If it was pneumonia you might see dark, condenced areas on the lungs, but I'm not sure and it would depend on how fresh it was. Could even be froth in the windpipe. Although, I wouldn't open a carcass up unless I new for certain that it wasn't anthrax.

Its a little too late for any of that, but I checked the dead calf pretty close. I posted a subject has anyone seen this a while back. I keep that in the back of my mind as a consideration.
Its too much detail to rewrite. But basically my cows went into some kind of a blood lust one time and they were trying yo stomp a new calve to death. If I had not been there to fend them off they would of killed it. But this was a three day old.
So it is still a mystery. If it happens again I think I will find a AG extension to take the calve to for some answers. Its one thing losing um when ya know what happens. and every once in a while your gonna have a unexsplained death in cattle its just the way it is, but when you start to half several ya gotta look for answers. The fact that I chased off two tresspassers also has to factor in.

Could have been lightening I have had cattle hit by lightening it is so powerfull it knocks the teeth out of the cow.

Could have been lightening I have had cattle hit by lightening it is so powerfull it knocks the teeth out of the cow.
That might answer the original post with the eye laying next to the calve, but negative on my calves. But ya never know unless you see it.

Wow that is really weird o_O The only other thing I've ever heard close to that was from what my Ag. Teacher told my class. His friend back east had cattle and on morning he went out to find his pregnant heifer dropped dead in the field. On closer inspection he found that the eyes, tongue, and calf had all been surgically removed and the blood drained form the body. There was a clean cut circle around her and her legs when tucked up under her belly. He went to call the vet and when they met in the field one of the heifers ears had been cut off. Way to freaky.

Went over and helped another rancher at his roundup this past week. A cow that was only a few days off from calving was in the catcher as soon as one of the cowboys gave her a shot of ivermec she started to convulse and died right there on the spot. Had to drag her out of the squeeze shute with a tractor.
Never seen nothing like that. She went in just as calm as can be and dropped dead in a couple minutes. Ya just never know

Sound like the "cowboys" hit the vain.
NAH I WAS THERE PUT THE NEEDLE IN FRONT OF SHOULDER UNDER SKIN.
SHE STARTED SHAKING AFTER THEY HIT HER WITH THE HOT SHOT IN THE KIDNEY AREA. THEN RIGHT AFTER HER SHOT SHE DROPPED LIKE A SACK OF TATERS.
I THINK SHE HAD A STROKE OR HEART ATTACK. I DON'T OWN ONE PERSONALLY. I TAKE A LITTLE MORE TIME AND PATIENCE WITH MY COWS THEN THEESE GUYS DO. BUT I DON'T HAVE 500 HEAD TO DO IN A DAY EITHER.

sounds like she had a heart attack.but she couldve had a bad reaction to the pour on as well.

sounds like she had a heart attack.but she couldve had a bad reaction to the pour on as well.
It was a shot and I don't think stricnine injected into a vein would of killed a cow as fast as that one died. I still think the hot shot had something to do with it.

I have seen it happen twice just like you said. The guy giving the shot gave it uder the skin in front of the shoulder and hit the vain the cow did not make it out of the chute. I have a backgrounding feedlot we work 300 to 400 new cattle every month and have never killed one with a hot shot.

I have seen it happen twice just like you said. The guy giving the shot gave it uder the skin in front of the shoulder and hit the vain the cow did not make it out of the chute. I have a backgrounding feedlot we work 300 to 400 new cattle every month and have never killed one with a hot shot.

I have never seen that before. but if he hit a vein wouldn't thier be a lot of blood? I have put needles in the vien of cows necks to run a IV before and didn't loose it.
I saw no more blood than any shots that I have ever given and thats in the thousands over the years.
I would like to bend your ear on the backgrounding feedlot you have. I am leaning towards doing some of that locally myself and could use all the input on how to go about setting that up as possable.

if the vain was hit while giving her a shot.an air bubble couldve been in the syringe.an the air bubble is what killed her.

if the vain was hit while giving her a shot.an air bubble couldve been in the syringe.an the air bubble is what killed her
That would make since. I was going to use that cowboy to give me a hand at the next round up. Quess I will just have to show him where in the shoulder area I want the shot. Or like usual do the whole herd myself :)

Latest posts