Dead calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
We have had a pinkeye storm in our county and one of our first calf heifers is just now able to see a little bit. She calved this morning without any problem but the calf was stepped on. I seem to remember Dun saying you could tell if it was stillborn if there was no blood. Can someone tell me if I am recalling that correctly. The skin was broken in several places and there was no blood so I am thinking it was already dead. Thanks.

I ahve the link sotred in my favorites since I can never remember that sort of stuff

GC,
I'll add to the thread here.

First thing I look at is the exterior - are the rubbery tips on the hooves(eponychium) undisturbed? If so, the calf never walked - they get tattered pretty quickly once one gets up and scuffling around.
Any yellow-green staining of the haircoat? If you get into a fetal distress situation, they will defecate inside the uterus, and the meconium (first feces) will stain the hair.

Internal umbilical arteries - inside the abdomen, running on either side of the urinary bladder - will have evidence of hemorrhage in their wall if the calf had an active heartbeat at the time the umbilical cord became compressed as it passed through the birth canal.
Lungs - if dark red, and sink when placed in water, the calf never breathed.

Now, as to calves 'suffocating due to the sack over their head'... I've never seen one; foals, yes, but horses have a different type of placentation.
Every calf I've ever seen born, or helped deliver was well out of the 'sack', by the time it's head cleared the vulva.
Not saying it can't happen, but it'd be pretty doggone rare.

Have seen a few born alive, then stepped on. Usually they have some bruising or a fractured liver or kidney - if you look inside.

Thanks Lucky P. We looked it over pretty well and knew to look at the feet. He hadn't been up at all and no sign of fecal matter. We have only had one calf in thirty years that we knew died of having the caul over its mouth and nose. Saw it and when we ran down there, the cow was just standing there stupidly watching it die.

Latest posts