*** Dead calf pictures***

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
This one came all screwed up. Was dead hanging from cow this morning. Legs had no flex to them so it was pretty locked up. Just a defect?
Hate when stuff like this happens.

holm25 said:
This one came all screwed up. Was dead hanging from cow this morning. Legs had no flex to them so it was pretty locked up. Just a defect?

Sorry about your luck, but you have a pair of carriers in your program.... Looks to be TH affected, but could be AM instead... Does it have a cleft palate? Any flex in the leg joints?

Boot Jack Bulls said:
holm25 said:

Sorry about your luck, but you have a pair of carriers in your program.... Looks to be TH affected, but could be AM instead... Does it have a cleft palate? Any flex in the leg joints?

No cleft palate. Didn't check for much flexing in front legs but back legs didn't have much flex. It would make sense. This heifer accidentally got bred by sire so he must have been a carrier. To test for that is it a blood test?

holm25 said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
holm25 said:

No cleft palate. Didn't check for much flexing in front legs but back legs didn't have much flex. It would make sense. This heifer accidentally got bred by sire so he must have been a carrier. To test for that is it a blood test?

The ASA you have a choice - a blood card or a hair sample from the switch. There may be exceptions.

Perosomus elumbis is the name of the deformity. Cause is unknown, but probably not genetic. I've seen it in different breeds and it has happened in other species.

Buck Randall said:
Perosomus elumbis is the name of the deformity. Cause is unknown, but probably not genetic. I've seen it in different breeds and it has happened in other species.
Thank you..a heck of a 1st post too.
Welcome to CT.

greybeard said:
Buck Randall said:
Welcome to CT.

Seems to be the way a few have joined recently. :help:

And sorry about your calf. I lost one the other day to a deformity.

greybeard said:
Buck Randall said:
Welcome to CT.
Thanks. I've been a lurker for a while; this thread sucked me in.

Well I'm glad you did join. We are running a dna test on her through Zoetis just for the heck of it. Welcome to the board.

Information from the ABS website

"TH is a disorder of multiple congenital defects seen in calves. Translated, the name refers to absence of all or part of the tibia (tibia = the bone between the knee and ankle in humans or the stifle and hock in cattle and hemimelia = absence of all or part of a limb). But TH encompasses more defects that the name implies. TH is lethal, as the calf may be born dead, but if not dead the condition is incompatible with life. These valves have large abdominal hernias (weakening of the abdominal muscles that allows intestinal contents to bulge out), twisted legs sometimes with absent or deformed bones. They may be cryptorchid (undescended testicles), have meningocele (defect in the skull with tissue coming out) and a long shaggy hair coat.

TH was first described in Galloway cattle in the 1960's and in Shorthorn cattle in 2000. Since that time hundreds of calves with TH have been identified. Studying the pedigrees of affected and unaffected cattle has lead to the conclusion that TH is a recessive disorder. For the calf to be effected, it must have inherited the defective gene from both parents.

There is a DNA test for TH, Carriers are listed on both the Shorthorn and Maine Anjou websites."

I would recommend getting a DNA sample from the calf. It may not be TH, but I would bet it is a recessive defect. If there is not a test available now, there may be one in the future. Testing enables you to identify carriers and breed or cull accordingly. Without testing you may need to get rid on an entire line of cattle to avoid risks, but testing allows you to identify animals that don't carry the defective gene.

Sent blood in on heifer almost a month ago and just got word she is TH free. So that is good as we had a lot of her half sisters..

Looks like maybe something didn't develop in the spine and it went downhill from there...

Latest posts