Data collection, Excel, etc

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I'm wondering what sort of data y'all collect about your herd, and what you do with it, how you interpret and compile it, chart it and so on..

I collect the following info: Name, Tag, a unique ID number, DOB, sex, dam, sire, BW, and more recently weaning weight, cull year and cull ages of dams, twin, wether I consider the offspring as replacement material, and then if I have kept a heifer as a replacement, wether they are in stock or not, and the "original dam", and of course cull reasons.

From this I can gather total calves of each dam, total progeny of her and her daughters, average number of calves I've gotten from that line of cows by the time I culled them. I also get the average age of a cow's line that I have in stock, and I score them, as well as their progeny, then 'normalize' it so that the top score is 100. I also keep track of which generation they are. So far it's a good thing I have a widescreen monitor because I can still fit columns A through AH on it without scrolling.

Here's how I score the cow... I take the calves she's produced and raise it to the power of 1.2, then doubled, and then add half the sum of all her progeny's scores... The exact numbers I use can certainly be debated, but I found that with a power of 1.2 I place adequate weight on long lasting animals, and a 50/50 score split between her and her offspring is good, because sometimes you get a cow that didn't last long, but had great daughters... it's also the percent of her DNA, which makes it fairly logical. The 50/50 split makes it so she gets points for how well her great granddaughters do as well, but not that much. My best cows have a score 40-45, which over time I expect to top out at 50.

For charts, I have each original dams score, total progeny, total culls, total calves from the culled animals, total calves kept, and total in stock.
I made a chart of total calves sold per animal kept, but I found that since from 1 line of cows I had kept 7 animals in 4 years, the numbers were drastically off since those 7 animals have had a total of 4 calves to date, meanwhile in another line I hadn't kept a replacement heifer in 8 years (and probably never will again), so their avarage was much higher, which doesn't reflect what happens properly... So back to the drawing board, and I made "correction factor" which takes in the current average age of the animals.. In the end I think I got something that reasonably accurately represents what is going on.

For each line of cows I also have a 3D graph of how many calves I've had from each throught the years, which gives you a trend to see which ones do well and not.

This is what I do when I'm waiting for a cow to calf!

If anyone else does this, I'd gladly trade formulas.. I've had a misery trying to make Excel do what i want it to!

Mark Twain said... There's lies, D@mn lies, and statistics... numbers will never tell the whole story, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Sounds interesting Nesi.

I keep about the same records as you, don't have your scoring formula of course though. I do have a page for each cow as well. I'd love to see templates of your charts and spreadsheets.

As well I'm using Biotrack at the moment which gives me a lot of data, it's a little expensive though.

I have a sheet for "breeding dates", which I of course list the cow, date, and percentage probablity that they were actually in heat that day. From there, I use condtional cell formatting to highlight it when they get close to 21 days from that date, as well as 280 days from that date, which brings my attention to when they're due to be in heat next, as well as when they could calf.

I'm big on doing things for free :>

Latest posts