Darn coon hunters again!

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":240ofdy5 said:
My last post on this.

I do have a question for you all that are so against a man retrieving his dogs from your property.
My dogs are my property that I have paid for and raised ETC...
If your stock gets out of your property onto mine and I say no what use to be your stock can stay here on my place and you can't get it back because my lands posted and I said no.
How many of you all would like that ? How many agree that's how it should be? My dogs are my property just like your stock is your property. Would anyone like that law to be in effect? Cause I mean after all as you say dog hunters need to keep their dogs on their property not others the same could apply to stock. I bet no one would like that much.
Keep in mind if its posted the owner can tell you no and your animal stays no matter what.

There's a big difference between an animal accidently getting out and a person loosing dogs that will follow a scent no matter where it goes. This is why I don't shoot dogs. There's nothing to hunt with dogs where I live, but I have had a few strays on my place. I have a small child, cats and chickens. I have shot 'near' them to keep them at bay, but I would never intentionally kill one that looked healthy. Many times they turn out to be a companion for someone, and would be surely missed.

skyhightree1":nhf4bhu6 said:
My last post on this.

I do have a question for you all that are so against a man retrieving his dogs from your property.
If your stock gets out of your property onto mine and I say no what use to be your stock can stay here on my place and you can't get it back because my lands posted and I said no.
How many of you all would like that ? How many agree that's how it should be? My dogs are my property just like your stock is your property. Would anyone like that law to be in effect? Cause I mean after all as you say dog hunters need to keep their dogs on their property not others the same could apply to stock. I bet no one would like that much.
Keep in mind if its posted the owner can tell you no and your animal stays no matter what.
The difference is obvious. In my county and in most of the counties in my state, it is illegal to knowingly allow any livestock to run loose. You simply cannot do it. The key word in the statutes that govern loose livestock is "knowingly". If you knowingly allow stock to roam, you ain't got a leg to stand on if your stock gets hauled off by the sheriff, hit and killed by an 18 wheeler or someone else, except that anyone other than the sheriff can be charged with theft if caught.

Dogs? Not so clearly spelled out by the law right now, but since you brought up the livestock/canine analogy, you, by not having and keeping them in check, are knowingly allowing them free run. Bottom line tho, if my stock or dogs are on someone else's property, in my mind, it's probably my fault and the landowner has every ethical right to do what he sees fit, as do I. (note I said 'ethical" right--not legal right) My dog goes to a neighbors and barks and keeps them up and they shoot it, well, hopefully they will tell me so I can pick him up and bury him, but I won't get mad about it--I shoulda kept ol Indy at home.
If I don't want anything to happen to my livestock or my dog, I dang well better keep them under control, and on my property unless I have someone else's permission to run them on their property.

M.Magis":nelmlue2 said:
Following QDM practives are a personal choice. There are no states that enforce them. I agree, it's a do-nothing organization that's likely circling the drain. But if someone wants to impose limits on their own property, that's up to them.
Is it, when states tell you how many points it must have, or how wide it must be, or must shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck. That's not QDM ????????????? I don't know ??? sounds like it may be to me ??

BRYANT":2uezr6ic said:
M.Magis":2uezr6ic said:
Following QDM practives are a personal choice. There are no states that enforce them. I agree, it's a do-nothing organization that's likely circling the drain. But if someone wants to impose limits on their own property, that's up to them.
Is it, when states tell you how many points it must have, or how wide it must be, or must shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck. That's not QDM ????????????? I don't know ??? sounds like it may be to me ??
They call it that, but it's really just "hunting restrictions" and that's their chosen method of controlling the overall deer herd.

dun":2aodyx8o said:
They call it that, but it's really just "hunting restrictions" and that's their chosen method of controlling the overall deer herd.
so how does the size of the buck that you kill control the overall herd. Sounds as if to me they are trying to get bigger racks. The bigger the racks the more the big money people want to hunt. get on ebay and see what people will pay to hunt ''super bucks'' it all falls back to one thing MONEY

BRYANT":32arpw3x said:
dun":32arpw3x said:
so how does the size of the buck that you kill control the overall herd. Sounds as if to me they are trying to get bigger racks. The bigger the racks the more the big money people want to hunt. get on ebay and see what people will pay to hunt ''super bucks'' it all falls back to one thing MONEY
It decreases the total number of deer killed which increases the deer herd number. Killing a doe before a buck cuts down on the total number of does available to breed which reduces the number of deer in areas that have too many deer.

ram":w6aefa57 said:
Fenceman, we do the same thing here. This morning there was no less than 20 does and 3 bucks around the house. The guys that lease the property next to us have only killed one doe since the 26th. And their supposedly up doe hunting. We're going to start killing does Friday, and stop when we've killed 30, that is if they don't get to smart first.
I've been letting some coon hunters come and hunt once the deer season closes. And one guys that comes lost 3 dogs 20 years ago on my property. But they call and ask everytime now. The big thing around here is running coyotes with dogs in a high fenced area. I haven't been yet, but one of the stock yard owners invited me a couple of times. He has 600 acres high fenced and traps coyotes and turns them loose in there.

Ram, he's a good friend of mine. If you like to hear the dogs run you oughta go. It's a lotta fun to listen to them. I see him just about every week but I haven't asked him lately... last he told me, he had gotten rid of all his dogs. He and another close friend of mine own it together so I don't know if he's started back running them or not.

BRYANT":3nxehhto said:
M.Magis":3nxehhto said:
It's along the same lines, but not really "part of QDM". But I agree, I despise antler restrictions in most places. However, some state herds were so out of wack they became necessary. At least temporarily.

ram":1orwnk4y said:
Fenceman, we do the same thing here. This morning there was no less than 20 does and 3 bucks around the house. The guys that lease the property next to us have only killed one doe since the 26th. And their supposedly up doe hunting. We're going to start killing does Friday, and stop when we've killed 30, that is if they don't get to smart first.
I've been letting some coon hunters come and hunt once the deer season closes. And one guys that comes lost 3 dogs 20 years ago on my property. But they call and ask everytime now. The big thing around here is running coyotes with dogs in a high fenced area. I haven't been yet, but one of the stock yard owners invited me a couple of times. He has 600 acres high fenced and traps coyotes and turns them loose in there.

We started shooting does last weekend. going to take 10 this year. I only took 5 last year and it wasn't enough. I can often count close to thirty from the porch. Looks like I'm not going to kill a mature buck. (with the exception of the cull dagger horned buck) let some go buy either broke up Or just not what I thought they should be. The deer didn't grow good horns this year. Lack of rain at the wrong time I think .
I believe strongly in letting areas rest. If we kill a deer we generally won't go back to that stand for at least a week .

fenceman":36oa7b8p said:
ram":36oa7b8p said:

We started shooting does last weekend. going to take 10 this year. I only took 5 last year and it wasn't enough. I can often count close to thirty from the porch. Looks like I'm not going to kill a mature buck. (with the exception of the cull dagger horned buck) let some go buy either broke up Or just not what I thought they should be. The deer didn't grow good horns this year. Lack of rain at the wrong time I think .
I believe strongly in letting areas rest. If we kill a deer we generally won't go back to that stand for at least a week .

I let daddy nuts walk on Dec 6th have seen him on camera for four years. Day before surgery he walks in the back pasture
stands 50 yards from me. The only time I have ever seen him in daylight. I let him walk due to time constraints and will most likely
never see him again. Been watching a nice herd of does all season figure I will take my 12 year old grandson during the
up coming youth season and let him have some fun.

M.Magis":1c6q9l2h said:
BRYANT":1c6q9l2h said:
M.Magis":1c6q9l2h said:
It's along the same lines, but not really "part of QDM". But I agree, I despise antler restrictions in most places. However, some state herds were so out of wack they became necessary. At least temporarily.

I have debated this QDM craziness for years and we hardly ever see eye-to-eye on it so this will be my last post on it.
No time is antler restrictions good ,if you are wanting bigger racks, age restrictions I can agree but its hard to know the age unless you see them often. The 15 pt. buck I posted pictures of this year came off of a place that I had pictures of a buck for 3 yrs. that had a spike on one side and a 4 pt. on the other side his rack was flat and looked like knife blades so I knew it was the same buck , he was and old buck, never showed himself in daylight for 3 yrs. then he messed up and I killed him, The problem was that about 30 to 35 % of the bucks I was seeing were spikes on one side and 3 to 4 points on the other. So we started to kill everyone of them we would see now we are seeing more bigger bucks. This year I picked up a shed with 6 pts. also seen or got pictures of 8 pointers 10 pointers and a 12 pointer then killed the 15. They can say what they like but if there were point restrictions in place to protect that spikeX4 this place was on its way to being not what they are working for. It takes age but you better have the right make-up there also some deer are small racked bucks forever leave them to breed does and what do you have small racks.
just my :2cents: :2cents: now you guys can tear me apart for what I say about QDM if you want, it might work on private places where they see and know the deer but it sure aint no good as a state regulation. I can talk for hours on this subject and even show data to prove my point but I'm done with this one

Dang first Sky takes his ball and runs home, now you Bryant. I thought this has been a good thread and everyone has been very respectful. QDM is just another idea for managing the deer herd for nice bucks. We don't follow any guidelines, you do what you think needs to be done. I've killed numerous bucks that weighed over 200 lbs that only had 6-7 point racks. We manage for trophy bucks, and culling the 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old inferior bucks is the only way to build a good herd. Once a buck makes it past 3 1/2 years old he's hard to kill, and his antler size has no bearing on his brain size. With that being said, if you don't live with the deer you have no business culling deer on our property. You can't learn what a cull buck is from pictures or magazine articles. Lots of bucks with great potential have been killed as cull bucks.

Fenceman, don't feel like the lone ranger. I'm still buck less myself, and so is my son and brother.
This is looking like the first year in a long time that we won't kill a 140+ buck off our land. With that being said we've been really picky also. My brother has video of a monster, and pictures of 4-5 other bucks that are close to 150. Dang cameras will make you pass on some really nice bucks.

greybeard":3ne8v8i4 said:
skyhightree1":3ne8v8i4 said:
My last post on this.

The difference is obvious. In my county and in most of the counties in my state, it is illegal to knowingly allow any livestock to run loose. You simply cannot do it. The key word in the statutes that govern loose livestock is "knowingly". If you knowingly allow stock to roam, you ain't got a leg to stand on if your stock gets hauled off by the sheriff, hit and killed by an 18 wheeler or someone else, except that anyone other than the sheriff can be charged with theft if caught.

Dogs? Not so clearly spelled out by the law right now, but since you brought up the livestock/canine analogy, you, by not having and keeping them in check, are knowingly allowing them free run. Bottom line tho, if my stock or dogs are on someone else's property, in my mind, it's probably my fault and the landowner has every ethical right to do what he sees fit, as do I. (note I said 'ethical" right--not legal right) My dog goes to a neighbors and barks and keeps them up and they shoot it, well, hopefully they will tell me so I can pick him up and bury him, but I won't get mad about it--I shoulda kept ol Indy at home.
If I don't want anything to happen to my livestock or my dog, I dang well better keep them under control, and on my property unless I have someone else's permission to run them on their property.

It is pretty clear on the dogs IMO
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/78 ... navpanes=0

That's dogs in reference to livestock CB. I was talking about (my) dogs just going to a neighbor's house and barking and keeping them awake. Legally, here in my county, I would be ok, but ethically, it's my fault and I don't feel I have the right to beech if they shoot 'em dead.

greybeard":3je2vm8a said:
That's dogs in reference to livestock CB. I was talking about (my) dogs just going to a neighbor's house and barking and keeping them awake. Legally, here in my county, I would be ok, but ethically, it's my fault and I don't feel I have the right to beech if they shoot 'em dead.

I agree.
Won't tolerate my stuff bothering the neighbors.
They don't have to take care of it I will.

Latest posts