Darn coon hunters again!

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":172lz3hx said:
Commercialfarmer":172lz3hx said:
Thinking as a dog owner and lover, lot of stuff could happen to a good dog going some place it isn't planned or wanted, intentional or not.

I had told a story about a dog someone killed cause it came on their property after he got fined out the arse and did jail time some of the dog guys here shot in his house while he and his family were home and the house looked like swiss cheese. They moved after that and receiving death threats..

I will tell you the issues I have had with land owners were the ones where either we owned or others owned all the land around them and they had maybe 2-5 acres and was upset the dogs came through their land. Those folks that get their panties in a wad here are city people that moved out here and got a few acres thinking they are now country folk and weren't raised around it.

Oh yea my county has roaming rights for dogs too
Only problem I have with dogs are the ones that will run the calves. I know a good hound or bird dog won;t, but the operative word is "good". We had an old doe goat that killed the neighbors dog when it slipped into the pasture with the kids, she knocked it down and pounded the crap out of it. Granny used to run off any stray dog that cam in the pasture, but she also ran off deer and turkeys along with skunks or anything that wasn;t me, the wife or another cow.

dun":190arzec said:
skyhightree1":190arzec said:
Commercialfarmer":190arzec said:
Thinking as a dog owner and lover, lot of stuff could happen to a good dog going some place it isn't planned or wanted, intentional or not.

I had told a story about a dog someone killed cause it came on their property after he got fined out the arse and did jail time some of the dog guys here shot in his house while he and his family were home and the house looked like swiss cheese. They moved after that and receiving death threats..

I will tell you the issues I have had with land owners were the ones where either we owned or others owned all the land around them and they had maybe 2-5 acres and was upset the dogs came through their land. Those folks that get their panties in a wad here are city people that moved out here and got a few acres thinking they are now country folk and weren't raised around it.

Oh yea my county has roaming rights for dogs too
Only problem I have with dogs are the ones that will run the calves. I know a good hound or bird dog won;t, but the operative word is "good". We had an old doe goat that killed the neighbors dog when it slipped into the pasture with the kids, she knocked it down and pounded the crap out of it. Granny used to run off any stray dog that cam in the pasture, but she also ran off deer and turkeys along with skunks or anything that wasn;t me, the wife or another cow.

Bingo here the folks that have dog issues don't know the difference between a hound that doesn't fool with their goats or chickens etc and the neighbors dogs that do so all dogs get a bad rap.

I've pulled porcupine quills out of a lost hound and fed more than one that had been without for a few days too many. And I've put down a few dogs chasing cattle as well and wasn't apologetic about it. But I don't hate dogs, that wasn't my point. There are plenty of things i can think of that could happen to a dog in the wrong place at the wrong time. Being shot is but only one.

The fools you are talking about that equates a dog's life with a person's, their family shouldn't be upset when they get put down for being rabbid, everything being equal.

Commercialfarmer":3n09totu said:

I know of three (3) people that were killed in Okla. all because they killed hounds that came or there property. Also have heard of cows being gut shot with a .22, it takes a while for them to die, and fences being cut plus many other things that can happen to people that shoot peoples hounds, This can be a bad thing for both sides and its best to try and keep your dogs where they belong but if one gets on your property and the hunter was trying to get it off and not on there hunting is best to try and work with him also. I have had my dogs tree on places they were not suppose to be and may have been turned out 2 mile away when that happened I would walk in with my light out and get my dogs and leave and try my best not to wake up people. The big problem I would have had with the man was him in there shooting the coon when he should have gotten his dogs and left

I have one guy that is welcome to go get his dogs.
I know a coon or a dog can't read a posted sign.
Anytime his dogs have treed he has always come up to the house and ask permission which is ok with me no
matter the time.. He doesn't climb the fences and always puts the gates back as I have them.
He is one of the few dog hunters left that is a true pleasure to deal with.
The hog hunters are the ones that need to be outlawed around here.

BRYANT":2ys3belq said:
Commercialfarmer":2ys3belq said:

I know of three (3) people that were killed in Okla. all because they killed hounds that came or there property. Also have heard of cows being gut shot with a .22, it takes a while for them to die, and fences being cut plus many other things that can happen to people that shoot peoples hounds, This can be a bad thing for both sides and its best to try and keep your dogs where they belong but if one gets on your property and the hunter was trying to get it off and not on there hunting is best to try and work with him also. I have had my dogs tree on places they were not suppose to be and may have been turned out 2 mile away when that happened I would walk in with my light out and get my dogs and leave and try my best not to wake up people. The big problem I would have had with the man was him in there shooting the coon when he should have gotten his dogs and left

I was coon and deer hunter for years with hounds and still love it today.
But the very reasons you listed above is why they are becoming extinct.
If the man had been shooting in my pasture without permission I would have filed felony criminal trespass on them.

My biggest heartburn with the matter was not the dogs crossing onto my property. Dogs cross all the time and as long as they don't chase cows or calves I don't mind. The shooting right outside my back door at 1:30 in the morning, the shorting out hotwire and leaving it that way and climbing over barbed wire is what chaps my hide. I know they didn't have permission to hunt my neighbors property either. He does not give permission to anyone. That is where they came off of. The place they parked and came up the creek is also private. The owner just died a few weeks ago and it is tied up in the heir process so they didn't have permission there either.

I've never seen a dog on my property that wasn't aggressive towards me or harassing my cows. It's amazing how the dog hunters disappear when their dogs start disappearing, and the Game Warden shows up.

HOSS":3bw41eu2 said:
My biggest heartburn with the matter was not the dogs crossing onto my property. Dogs cross all the time and as long as they don't chase cows or calves I don't mind. The shooting right outside my back door at 1:30 in the morning, the shorting out hotwire and leaving it that way and climbing over barbed wire is what chaps my hide. I know they didn't have permission to hunt my neighbors property either. He does not give permission to anyone. That is where they came off of. The place they parked and came up the creek is also private. The owner just died a few weeks ago and it is tied up in the heir process so they didn't have permission there either.

Total lack of respect for property belonging to others, I would be upset also. Around here some of the coon hunters seem to think they have the right to go any where their dogs go.

I still would like to read the whole 18-36 code. I'm having problems getting a grip on this. Does Virginia have a Castle law? Or the Stand your ground law? Thanks

ram":1spd1m4t said:
I've never seen a dog on my property that wasn't aggressive towards me or harassing my cows.

ram I could drop every hound I have in the middle of your cattle and they will look at the cows and walk by them and go for the nearest woods to look for either a deer or coons whichever the hound is trained for. My hounds are not people aggressive theres only 3 people that can catch my hounds me and my kids other wise they will run from you.

ram":1spd1m4t said:
I still would like to read the whole 18-36 code. I'm having problems getting a grip on this. Does Virginia have a Castle law? Or the Stand your ground law? Thanks

Castle law - Not on the books like other states but basically its suggested retreat if you can.... stand your ground law - NO

I know others experiences are different than mine but in regard to dogs on property,as long as they aren't bothering my livestock,I don't get excited.I usually try to catch the dog and contact the owner.All have been glad I called them.My property borders Nat'l Forest so I am going to have dogs from time to time. A dog can't read my signs.
Va law allows you to dispatch dogs which are killing livestock but I would be sure I could prove it as killing a companion animal is a felony.If I didn't want dogs on my place,why wouldn't I want the hunter to go get them so long as that's all he is doing?
Not trying to point fingers-just my :2cents: .

Va law allows you to dispatch dogs which are killing livestock but I would be sure I could prove it as killing a companion animal is a felony.If I didn't want dogs on my place,why wouldn't I want the hunter to go get them so long as that's all he is doing?
Not trying to point fingers-just my :2cents: .[/quote]

A dog is just another varmint to me. I don't walk in my woods and don't allow anyone else to either. A single dog and one person walking through my woods will ruin them for the season. I sell deer hunts and also have a buck-trophy fee. My property is not a national forest or a wildlife management area for the general public. And the last I new I had to pay my own property taxes, because I don't live in free rent USA.

This is the very reason I quit hog hunting with dogs about 8 years ago. We never never ever damaged anyone's property. But we couldn't always keep the dogs where they were supposed to be. So I quit. Wasn't worth it anymore and it took the fun out of hunting with the dogs because we were always worried about getting on someone else's place. Seems like we could have 3000 acres and would wind up on 2 acres that belonged to someone else.

JMJ Farms":vw5whhl9 said:
This is the very reason I quit hog hunting with dogs about 8 years ago. We never never ever damaged anyone's property. But we couldn't always keep the dogs where they were supposed to be. So I quit. Wasn't worth it anymore and it took the fun out of hunting with the dogs because we were always worried about getting on someone else's place. Seems like we could have 3000 acres and would wind up on 2 acres that belonged to someone else.

Texas trespass laws have all but killed dog hunting.
You have no rights on another property and we all know a dog can't read a posted sign.
Lord help you if you are caught another persons property with a firearm Texas has trespass laws with some real teeth

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/nonp ... pass.phtml

Sky you might want to keep track of this new law .

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?151+ful+HB2345

HOUSE BILL NO. 2345

Offered January 23, 2015
A BILL to amend and reenact § 18.2-136 of the Code of Virginia, relating to retrieval of dogs by hunters.
----------

Patron-- Ramadan

----------

Referred to Committee on Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources

----------

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That § 18.2-136 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:

§ 18.2-136. Right of certain hunters to go on lands of another; carrying firearms or bows and arrows prohibited.

Fox hunters and coon hunters, when the chase begins on other lands, shall not follow their dogs on prohibited lands without the permission of the landowner, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, shall not go upon prohibited lands without the permission of the landowner to retrieve their dogs, falcons, hawks, or owls and shall not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs, falcons, hawks, or owls on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent. Any person to do so violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

Class 4 misdemeanor...what's that, a $5 fine and "don't do it again" chit?

Trespassing for any reason should be a friggin felony!!!

Class 4 misdemeanor...what's that, a $5 fine and "don't do it again" chit?

Trespassing for any reason should be a friggin felony!!!
Want to hunt?
Go buy your own damn property.

woranch I'm well aware of that coming up in our hunting dog alliance meetings we discuss it. I am not worried about it either way.

With dog hunters around there's no reason to practice QDM. Any young buck gets busted even if he's found a safe haven on someone else's land. A very few can ruin the deer hunting for a lot of people. Hunting deer with dogs is a thing of the past, within the next 10 years it'll be illegal Virginia. But just going hunting on open land is a thing of the past also. The leassors and leasees are demanding more landowner rights, and rightly so. IMO

Latest posts