Darn coon hunters again!

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Their dogs woke me up at 1:30am this morning with a coon treed just 100 yards from my house. The SOB's where shooting at it! My house is in plain sight. I grab a spotlight, go out on the porch and light them up. They see me and then proceed to nonchalantly walk across the pasture 50 yards from the house like I wasn't even there. My german shepherd and heeler were going nuts. I yell at them to get off of my property. They say that they didn't know that they were on private property. I said well you crossed two 5 strand barbed wire fences with hot wire to get where you are at so I ain't buying the BS. I saw my bull in the pasture coming at a run toward them. He was probably thinking that they had a bucket of feed because sometimes I feed by flashlight. He ain't mean but I figured it would be funny to yell out to them to watch the bull because he is very aggressive. About that time they heard him coming and swung their lights that way. The rest is priceless. It was a foot race back to the fence. The bull looking for a snack and the three trespassers thinking they were in for a trampling. I heard at least one guy get hung up in the barbed wire trying to get over it. He was cussing a blue streak yelling " ouch, sh1t! get back, get back" while that wire was singing! Made my night. Mr. Bull will get an extra dose of grain tonight for a job well done. I imagine 1,800 lbs of muscle running at you through the darkness, made even bigger by the effect of their spotlights, caused some serious underwear skid marks. Now I have to go check my fence for damage and I am sure they used a piece of wire to short out the hotwire like they did last time. I enjoy a good coon hunt as much as the next guy but every hunt I ever participated in we had permission to hunt the property and would call the dogs off of a scent if they went somewhere we were not allowed. These guys park their truck about a mile down the road where the bridge crosses a creek and they hunt the creek up toward my property. Next time I may just have the local DNR warden sitting there waiting for them to come back out.

Years ago our front pasture fronted the county road. At the time (califoronia central valley) we wereover run with pheasants. Pasture you be just swarming with them and every high spot would have a couple of roosters fighting over it. We had one cow, about a FS 6.5 that loved a good scratching. Come pheasant season I would turn her out in the front pasture. Whenever some bozo would climb the fence to shoot birds she would charge over there bellering her head off looking for a good scratch. I found a couple of shot guns in the field and lots of cloth hanging from the barbed wire. I just threw the guns in the roadside ditch. They were usually gone within a day or 2.
Gotta love those too friendly cows/bulls at times

And you don't have a video of all this Hoss? Between YouTube and Facebook you'd be rich.
Can you imagine the lies those poachers are telling at the coffee shop.

ram":7m9s7pqm said:
And you don't have a video of all this Hoss? Between YouTube and Facebook you'd be rich.
Can you imagine the lies those poachers are telling at the coffee shop.
Yep--it'd go viral--that's what cg8 sez, 'it's gotta go 'viral' " to make the big $$$.
:lol:

The hunters cannot controll where the dogs go, but they should have not shot at the coon that close to the house. I have had dogs tree in people's yard on occasion. Go grab the dogs and leave, apoligize for disturbing the homeowner if they wake up. I have never had a problem as long as I do this.

I am a coon hunter and try to only hunt places where theres no issues with me going.. Do the dogs go on others property sometimes but I work my dogs enough and have shock collars and can break them from a tree. I do not shoot or carry guns on others property that I do not have an agreement with. pretty much as long as im near home within about a 8-10 mile radius I go anywhere I want no issues. I do not like going to hunt other folks places that im not familiar with just for that reason I don't need any BS.

my bull does the samething if he knows your close to the pasture.he will dang near run over who ever is feeding him.

hillbilly beef man":1mna8fmm said:
The hunters cannot controll where the dogs go, but they should have not shot at the coon that close to the house. I have had dogs tree in people's yard on occasion. Go grab the dogs and leave, apoligize for disturbing the homeowner if they wake up. I have never had a problem as long as I do this.
In Kentucky you are not even allowed on someone's property without permission even to get your dogs.

tom4018":6z08089o said:
hillbilly beef man":6z08089o said:
In Kentucky you are not even allowed on someone's property without permission even to get your dogs.

Virginia my dogs are my property and I can go anywhere to retrieve them by foot and no gun

skyhightree1":a7gpl3u2 said:
tom4018":a7gpl3u2 said:

Virginia my dogs are my property and I can go anywhere to retrieve them by foot and no gun

Laws vary state to state, glad they are like they are in Kentucky. You should not be able to enter another persons property without permission. I wonder why Virginia allows that but does not allow you to track or retrieve game?

ram":2zxemhge said:

Not if the property is properly posted. http://legsearch.state.va.us/search?q=t ... =1&start=0 You need to read the laws in your state. Please point out the law that states you have the right to retrieve you dogs.[/quote]

Virginia does allow it:

Section 18.2-136 of the Code of Virginia decriminalizes
trespass in certain instances
related to dog retrieval. That section provides:
"Fox hunters and coon hunters, when the
chase begins on other lands, may follow their
dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all
other game, when the chase begins on other
lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve
their dogs, falcons, hawks, or owls, but
may not carry firearms or bow and arrows on
their person or hunt any game while thereon.
The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs, falcons,
hawks, or owls on prohibited lands shall be
allowed only with the permission of the landowner
or his agent. Any person who goes on
prohibited lands to retrieve his dogs, falcons,
hawks, or owls pursuant to this section and
who willfully refuses to identify himself when
requested by the landowner or his agent to do
so is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor."

ram":2twxc4f5 said:

Not if the property is properly posted. http://legsearch.state.va.us/search?q=t ... =1&start=0 You need to read the laws in your state. Please point out the law that states you have the right to retrieve you dogs.[/quote]

Here you go I will help you out ;-) I know my dog hunting rights and laws. Ram please point out where I am wrong.

18.2-136. Right of certain hunters to go on lands of another; carrying firearms or bows and arrows prohibited.

Fox hunters and coon hunters, when the chase begins on other lands, may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent.

(Code 1950, 29-168; 1964, c. 600; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1988, c. 593; 1991, cc.317, 327.)

tom4018":1kof7vij said:
[ I wonder why Virginia allows that but does not allow you to track or retrieve game?

Not exactly sure I find it weird but I guess from point it leaves your property onto someone else its their property is how they look at that.

skyhightree1":1e85hjzz said:
Tom we posted at the same time
:lol2:

It does show that a person needs to verify the law where you hunt.
This is from Kentucky hunting guide:

Landowners are under no obligation
to allow hunters to retrieve game or
hunting dogs from their property

Had them come up the driveway at 2 AM. My wife wakes me up. I go out on the back deck in my drawers and a side arm. The truck lights are shining on the pasture gate and one fellow is opening it. The driver says they are tacking their coon dogs and by law have the right to trespass. Did not sit well with me.
I ended up knowing the guy. He had gotten caught up in coon hunting, quit his job and took up training dogs. He is a nice enough guy.
I explained that his rights ended when they infringed on mine. He wanted to show me a print out of the law. I asked him if we needed to call the sheriff and get a ruling? I do not believe any court of law will let a person drive up to your house and wake everybody up with out permission.

tom4018":2638da7h said:
skyhightree1":2638da7h said:
Tom we posted at the same time
:lol2:

It does show that a person needs to verify the law where you hunt.
This is from Kentucky hunting guide:

Landowners are under no obligation
to allow hunters to retrieve game or
hunting dogs from their property

Virginia is a HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY dog hunting state and there is tons of money made off dogs in this state from either field trials or the game preserves that you can train your animals in etc . The retrieval of dogs law came about not too long ago due to the fact many tracking collars were being stolen and taken off dogs because folks thought they were all shock collars etc is some of the reasoning. I am a member of this group http://vahda.org/index.html I donate a ton of money to help out with our hunting dog rights

That wouldn't sit well with me.

I don't mind someone asking, there are guys that go coon hunting, and we welcome a few guys that chase the hogs with dogs.

But I wouldn't take someone not being a little bit courteous in a good way.

Thinking as a dog owner and lover, lot of stuff could happen to a good dog going some place it isn't planned or wanted, intentional or not.

Commercialfarmer":3eupvvep said:
Thinking as a dog owner and lover, lot of stuff could happen to a good dog going some place it isn't planned or wanted, intentional or not.

I had told a story about a dog someone killed cause it came on their property after he got fined out the arse and did jail time some of the dog guys here shot in his house while he and his family were home and the house looked like swiss cheese. They moved after that and receiving death threats..

I will tell you the issues I have had with land owners were the ones where either we owned or others owned all the land around them and they had maybe 2-5 acres and was upset the dogs came through their land. Those folks that get their panties in a wad here are city people that moved out here and got a few acres thinking they are now country folk and weren't raised around it.

Oh yea my county has roaming rights for dogs too

Latest posts