Darn coon hunters again!

Help Support CattleToday:

ram":3i3qf877 said:
Hunting deer with dogs is a thing of the past, within the next 10 years it'll be illegal Virginia. The leassors and leasees are demanding more landowner rights, and rightly so. IMO

ram where are you from? seem as if you know what's going on in every state and what every other place want and need.
I bet I can guess where you live but I won't for fear of making people mad

I'm from middle Georgia. I just keep up on things that impact my life, I hunt and fish for a living. So trespassing and lack of being able to use and go on public property is a very big deal to me.
Sorry if I offend you.

I don't care for hunting with dogs but I believe people should have that right. I also believe that it should be illegal to allow yourself, your dogs , or your lead to cross onto someone else's property without permission.
The fact that dogs can't read has nothing to do with anything.
It's really simple, if you want to hunt with dogs you need to be able to control them. I May not go into a pasture for weeks, right before hunting season. The yahoos running around the places around me putting their deer on my side.
If someone ran a pack of dogs through my area after I let it sit for weeks. I would need to be tied Down

Personally folks can hunt in the manner they like and it doesn't bother me I will tell you this anyone... I mean ANYONE can hunt over a bait station.. " illegal to use here in Virginia" and kill a deer hundreds of yards away with a rifle and scope in a stand. However, Not many are good enough to hit deer running flat out with a shotgun and buckshot. IMO I still hunt as well but it requires a bit more shooting skill with hounds as well as more excitement. I don't know if or when they will outlaw dogs but by the time that happens I will probably be too old to care. My half of the state allows dogs and on the other half they don't.

Fenceman, we do the same thing here. This morning there was no less than 20 does and 3 bucks around the house. The guys that lease the property next to us have only killed one doe since the 26th. And their supposedly up doe hunting. We're going to start killing does Friday, and stop when we've killed 30, that is if they don't get to smart first.
I've been letting some coon hunters come and hunt once the deer season closes. And one guys that comes lost 3 dogs 20 years ago on my property. But they call and ask everytime now. The big thing around here is running coyotes with dogs in a high fenced area. I haven't been yet, but one of the stock yard owners invited me a couple of times. He has 600 acres high fenced and traps coyotes and turns them loose in there.

skyhightree1 said:
Personally folks can hunt in the manner they like.

As it should be, on their property.

I don't shoot at deer on the move. I don't shoot over a couple hundred yards. I personally believe that shooting a deer properly positioned over bait is more ethical than flinging lead at one running through the brush.
If I want to test my skill I'll roll a tire down a hill.
By carefully selecting my shots I can proudly say that in approximately 35 deer seasons I've never spilled blood and not recovered my deer(with a gun)

Buckshot is illegal for deer in Texas

skyhightree1 said:
Personally folks can hunt in the manner they like and it doesn't bother me I will tell you this anyone... I mean ANYONE can hunt over a bait station.. " illegal to use here in Virginia" and kill a deer hundreds of yards away with a rifle and scope in a stand. However, Not many are good enough to hit deer running flat out with a shotgun and buckshot. IMO I still hunt as well but it requires a bit more shooting skill with hounds as well as more excitement.

The excitement factor very true. The being a good shotgun shot doesn't seem to matter. I've killed lots of deer running from dogs, off airboats running 50mph. and swamp buggies running wide open. And I'm an average trap and skeet shot, at least at our sporting clays club.
Fenceman, I have deer get away from me sometimes, had a nice buck get away this year. It's always my fault though.

ram":2ekve7ik said:
skyhightree1":2ekve7ik said:
Personally folks can hunt in the manner they like and it doesn't bother me I will tell you this anyone... I mean ANYONE can hunt over a bait station.. " illegal to use here in Virginia" and kill a deer hundreds of yards away with a rifle and scope in a stand. However, Not many are good enough to hit deer running flat out with a shotgun and buckshot. IMO I still hunt as well but it requires a bit more shooting skill with hounds as well as more excitement.

The excitement factor very true. The being a good shotgun shot doesn't seem to matter. I've killed lots of deer running from dogs, off airboats running 50mph. and swamp buggies running wide open. And I'm an average trap and skeet shot, at least at our sporting clays club.
Fenceman, I have deer get away from me sometimes, had a nice buck get away this year. It's always my fault though.
Many years ago I didn;t heed my own instructions. It was late december and I saw a buck across a canyon that was still in full velvet. I beared down and made sure I held on his shoulder. At leats I was sure I did. I shot and he dropped like a rock. Since I had to climb down the side of the canyon I didn;t reload my single shot. Got to the bottom and he jumped up and ran off. We looked for hours and finally found one piece of chipped off velvet covered antler. Felt like an idiot!

fenceman":38r7ilxt said:
skyhightree1":38r7ilxt said:

I don't shoot at deer on the move. I don't shoot over a couple hundred yards. I personally believe that shooting a deer properly positioned over bait is more ethical than flinging lead at one running through the brush.
By carefully selecting my shots I can proudly say that in approximately 35 deer seasons I've never spilled blood and not recovered my deer(with a gun)

I just don't find baiting really hunting just like you don't like dogs. You can have the best wide open shot and wound a deer whether your fault or equipment failure and loose a deer. If you hunt it will happen just as if you hunt you will miss. If everyone killed everything they shot at this post would not exist nor would any game. Surely any hunter knows you can shoot a deer and it not bleed out but bleed internally and run off and die just because you don't see blood when you shoot doesn't mean you had a clean miss always. Just food for thought not arguing.

We all miss we can all lose deer.

skyhightree1":2lgfzamg said:
fenceman":2lgfzamg said:
skyhightree1":2lgfzamg said:

I thought y'all planted and hunted foodplots

I just don't find baiting really hunting just like you don't like dogs. You can have the best wide open shot and wound a deer whether your fault or equipment failure and loose a deer. If you hunt it will happen just as if you hunt you will miss. If everyone killed everything they shot at this post would not exist nor would any game. Surely any hunter knows you can shoot a deer and it not bleed out but bleed internally and run off and die just because you don't see blood when you shoot doesn't mean you had a clean miss always. Just food for thought not arguing.

We all miss we can all lose deer.

I thought y'all planted and hunted food plots.

I love dogs.

ram":27za7xda said:
Sorry if I offend you.

Didn't offend me at all. and your not even where I thought you would be from.
Now this QDM I don't approve of at all a person should be allow to kill what ever he or she wants to as long as they have a tag for it. QDM ain't nothing more than a money issue. I can show you some nice bucks I have killed is any of them in the Okla. record books NOPE AND THEY WONT BE I would not pay the 35.00 to have them put in it ,and don't care what they score a trophy is a lot more than the size of the rack. I am 52 and have not missed a deer season from the time I was 6 killed lots of deer and one of my best trophy is a forked horn buck because he has quite a story behind him .and by QDM standards I would not have been able to shoot him. but I did and he's a trophy to me.

fenceman":11uama2j said:
[
I thought y'all planted and hunted food plots.

I love dogs.

I plant food plots every year but rarely hunt them not saying I don't but I mostly hunt fields and woods that are not near the plots I plant the plots where we have cut overs and no trees for them to have food to eat.

My last post on this.

I do have a question for you all that are so against a man retrieving his dogs from your property.
My dogs are my property that I have paid for and raised ETC...
If your stock gets out of your property onto mine and I say no what use to be your stock can stay here on my place and you can't get it back because my lands posted and I said no.
How many of you all would like that ? How many agree that's how it should be? My dogs are my property just like your stock is your property. Would anyone like that law to be in effect? Cause I mean after all as you say dog hunters need to keep their dogs on their property not others the same could apply to stock. I bet no one would like that much.
Keep in mind if its posted the owner can tell you no and your animal stays no matter what.

if I turned my stock out and it went on your property then you might have an argument. Apples and oranges here. a dog that wanders in one thing but when a hunter purposely turn a dog out to chase a deer then its the hunter is at fault. Ill shoot and kill any deer dog on my place and then take it to the owners drive way and dump it out. Its not the same thing and will never be comparing stock to hunting dogs

skyhightree1":3r3msxne said:
My last post on this.

I do have a question for you all that are so against a man retrieving his dogs from your property.
If your stock gets out of your property onto mine and I say no what use to be your stock can stay here on my place and you can't get it back because my lands posted and I said no.
How many of you all would like that ? How many agree that's how it should be? My dogs are my property just like your stock is your property. Would anyone like that law to be in effect? Cause I mean after all as you say dog hunters need to keep their dogs on their property not others the same could apply to stock. I bet no one would like that much.
Keep in mind if its posted the owner can tell you no and your animal stays no matter what.

It's a good and valid point sky.
I would say if I was irresponsible in confinement of my livestock and had a history of them running loose their should be consequences.
Most cases of livestock esstray are acts of God and nature or innocent mistakes. ( I'm not going to gun down my neighbors shyt zu because he forgot to close his gate)
I want you to be able to run your dogs.
I also want to be able to hunt ( even if you don't consider it hunting) on my land without being disturbed.
Mistakes happen. The thing is you give a inch they take a mile. Kinda like when they made the law bicycles have the ROW. Now they ride right down the middle of the road , because they can.
You tell someone they can enter private property without asking.......you may not take advantage, but many do.

Back to your question
I have sufficient fence to contain my livestock. Do you have sufficient fence to contain your dogs

BRYANT":12i2t0fr said:
ram":12i2t0fr said:
Sorry if I offend you.

Now this QDM I don't approve of at all a person should be allow to kill what ever he or she wants to as long as they have a tag for it. QDM ain't nothing more than a money issue. I can show you some nice bucks I have killed is any of them in the Okla. record books NOPE AND THEY WONT BE I would not pay the 35.00 to have them put in it ,and don't care what they score a trophy is a lot more than the size of the rack. I am 52 and have not missed a deer season from the time I was 6 killed lots of deer and one of my best trophy is a forked horn buck because he has quite a story behind him .and by QDM standards I would not have been able to shoot him. but I did and he's a trophy to me.
Following QDM practives are a personal choice. There are no states that enforce them. I agree, it's a do-nothing organization that's likely circling the drain. But if someone wants to impose limits on their own property, that's up to them.

Now this QDM I don't approve of at all a person should be allow to kill what ever he or she wants to as long as they have a tag for it. QDM ain't nothing more than a money issue. I can show you some nice bucks I have killed is any of them in the Okla. record books NOPE AND THEY WONT BE I would not pay the 35.00 to have them put in it ,and don't care what they score a trophy is a lot more than the size of the rack. I am 52 and have not missed a deer season from the time I was 6 killed lots of deer and one of my best trophy is a forked horn buck because he has quite a story behind him .and by QDM standards I would not have been able to shoot him. but I did and he's a trophy to me.[/quote]

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I was using QDM as an example why I don't care to dog hunt anymore. I don't believe anyone has a right to tell you what you can, or can't do on your own property. We let the kids shoot whatever they want, and my guest get one buck per season and it's their choice. My paying hunters get one buck, and the choice of buying another buck. I try and keep it fun for everyone, so I tell everyone up front what the deal is, and what's expected of them. NO WALKING IN THE WOODS. has been my main problem so far.

I've hung many dog tracking collars on the stop sign on the fm road by my land.. Ole boys from Louisiana like to bring their dogs to east texas and drop them out .. I try to catch them and take the collar off but the ones that are aggressive are buzzard food .. I don't give a darn if a dog can't read I feed my deer to hunt not to let some jack wagon run off with a dog.. I've got cameras all over my land , and the guys on the lease around me know to stay out .. If they call ill meet them to look for a deer .. But if I catch them on my place I'm pressing charges .. So far everything has worked out .. I don't like shooting dogs. But I don't mind making it harder for the owner to find ..

M.Magis":uf0grblk said:
Following QDM practives are a personal choice. There are no states that enforce them. I agree, it's a do-nothing organization that's likely circling the drain. But if someone wants to impose limits on their own property, that's up to them.
BINGO!

skyhightree1":30zc4xtb said:
My last post on this.

If your livestock got out by accident I'd help you anyway I can to retrieve them . On my property or not .. You dump your dogs out on 300 acres next to mine and they cross my place running deer that's either blatant ignorance or you don't give a **** about your neighbors property .. Which would you say it is ?